Really, My Fitness Pal? Your ads?

Options
cristydaisylove
cristydaisylove Posts: 22 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I am very grateful for this awesome app and community. But I just noticed today that the ad running across the top of the community page is for an all you can eat pizza place. CiCi's. I know we can work in a piece of pizza in our healthy eating. But an all you can eat place?

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I guess the MFP website advertising manager found the OP and "took care" of her.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    ah
  • cristydaisylove
    Options
    Sorry. Was in the middle of typing when a phone call came in and messed it all up. It's been fixed.
  • cristydaisylove
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    I guess the MFP website advertising manager found the OP and "took care" of her.

Funny. :)

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Sorry. Was in the middle of typing when a phone call came in and messed it all up. It's been fixed.

Like most sites, MFP subscribes to a third party ad provider. They often do not have direct control of the actual ads.

It's likely some other activity or search on your computer at other sites that use the same trackers put you in a bin of people who might like Cicis.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Google ads are based on your browser history and the types of sites you visit with their key words. Considering you likely come to MFP often, you'll see a lot of food items (food is mentioned all over the place considering you can track your food through this app/site) and fitness related products. I also used to see a lot of ads for whatever I was recently looking at through amazon.
  • cristydaisylove
    Options
    Cool. Ugh. I haven't searched for pizza. May have ordered Pizza Hut over 2 months ago. Thanks for the help.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    We've done this like 3 days in a row. I know the search feature isn't working right now, but really. Websites do not have full control of their ads. They're based on your browsing history and some general algorithms to figure out what you might want to see. Ignore them or install an ad blocker.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Probably a good thing for those who are here to gain instead of lose
  • cristydaisylove
    Options
    I heard of a trick to do to coworkers. Pick one friend and type in white at the bottom of all emails to them a code word like "socks." And then they will start getting all of these ads for socks. Then start hiding socks for them to find. Secretly.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Adblock.

And Pizza.

Both good things.
  • malibu927
    Options
    Also, now that I've read/posted in here, I just received CiCi's ads. I don't know if they even reopened the one nearby (that I'd never gone to anyway).
  • Strawili
    Strawili Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Ads are based upon your search history and unfortunately websites need money to host servers/stay updated. If it bothers you too much you should get an Adblock for your internet browser. It's bringing up pizza because you've searched for food a few times, so they're taking it on that.

I frequently get credit cards, plus-sized clothing, and dating advertisements. I'm a bigger lady, I looked into credit cards for a friend, and once upon a time used a dating website.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Didn't we do this yesterday? :s
  • malibu927
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Didn't we do this yesterday? :s

It seems to be becoming as frequent a question as detoxes/how often to weigh
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    How often should I weigh after my pizza detox?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Mmm, pizza.

I googled "what are those wiggly people balloon things at car lots" months ago. Air dancer ads forever.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Mmm, pizza.

I googled "what are those wiggly people balloon things at car lots" months ago. Air dancer ads forever.

You mean the WACKY WAVY INFLATABLE TUBE MEN?! :laugh: