Fitbit Calorie Burn Count

Options
I recently purchased a fitbit zip this year and I wear it daily. I noticed it gives me a calculated amount of calories that it believes I have burned at the end of the day. Should I account their calorie burn number into My Fitness Pal exercise log?

For instance, my job created a health wellness plan which opens up step challenges and weight loss challenges for participants. I am in a step challenge currently and I have been walking a minimum of 10,000 steps a day. Last night my fitbit said I burned 2,432 calories for the entire day, including my exercise that I did. When I type in my exercise in MFP it accounted for a 375 calorie burn. Should I include the additional 2,000 calorie burn fitbit claims I did?

I'm an extreme beginner when it comes to fitness and exercise. My exercise right now consist of fast paced walking 30 minutes, 3x a week; 30 day Shred video, 2x a week; and a minimum of 10,000 brisk steps a day for my work challenge. Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• thebuz
    thebuz Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You should sync your fitbit with MFP and let them adjust the calories for you. The fitbit is telling you that you burned 2,432 calories altogether through the day including exercise. MFP only gave you 375 calories for the exercise because it has calculated the calories you burn in a day just by living and then adds any exercise you do. I hope that makes sense. When you sync the two apps (fitbit with mfp) then it will adjust your overall calorie count through the day for you and will be much easier.
  • MrsB10305
    MrsB10305 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize you could link the two, that would make life a lot easier. I will look into that. Thank you!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    MrsB10305 wrote: »
    I didn't realize you could link the two, that would make life a lot easier. I will look into that. Thank you!
    @MrsB10305 - Here you go:
    https://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps/show/30
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I'm going to add to this question. When you link them, is there a way to show a "work out" in your feed or no?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    sadiebrawl wrote: »
    I'm going to add to this question. When you link them, is there a way to show a "work out" in your feed or no?
    You can manually write a status update about it.
    Fitbit doesn't send over individual workout logs. It only transfers Total Calorie Burn from last sync, Steps, Sleep Minutes (if tracked), BF% (if tracked), and weight (if tracked there) to MFP.
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    sadiebrawl wrote: »
    You can manually write a status update about it.
    Fitbit doesn't send over individual workout logs. It only transfers Total Calorie Burn from last sync, Steps, Sleep Minutes (if tracked), BF% (if tracked), and weight (if tracked there) to MFP.

Thank you. I was killing myself looking to see if it had that capability. So enter as status not "exercise" on MFP.