Ladies- Question about Birth Control

13»

Replies

• PenStr0ke
    PenStr0ke Posts: 2 Member
    edited July 2015
    I started BC a couple months ago--Junel Fe 1/20. It didn't make me moody, but BOY, it made me hungry. Coffee helped a bunch but only while I drank it. Once I emptied the cup it all came back.

Eventually all the odd feelings--the starvation and, for me, the anxiety--normalized, and so I would think that if you wait it out, the same thing should happen with your issues. If you don't think you can handle the changes, though, I suggest you switch pills. My doctor offered to put me on another pill when I mentioned my initial change in appetite, but I chose to give my body a chance to adapt since I felt mostly fine otherwise and could control my tum with tea and coffee if needed. That paid off.
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    I was started on BC at about 13, to regulate my periods and I had to change kinds a lot to find what worked for me and even then it would only work for about 2 years and stopped.

This is your first time with BC? Your body is adjusting, sounds like you know you have to give it time. I'd ask the doctor to switch to a lower dose if the symptoms continue more than a few months. My body seems to hate any medications, after 27 years I've figured out when I take a medication it needs to be an extremely low dose to start with and I can up it when my body regulates but not until then.
  • killerqueen21
    killerqueen21 Posts: 157 Member
    edited July 2015
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    moyer566 wrote: »
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    As for pill recommendations, that's a conversation you should probably only have with your OB/GYN.

Not specifically looking for recommendations. I am curious though if anyone has had the same issues and if they taper off eventually. I actually don't remember the Nuva Ring causing any of this but that was a few years ago. And I liked it. BUT. One strenuous poop and it's over with lol

I'm glad the pill is working for you though, I haven't been on it very long so I'm going to try give it some more time I think, if I can deal with the mood swings a little bit longer and my fiance doesn't leave me by then lol

OMG hahahah! I just started this one... I shall avoid pooping strenuously.

I have never in the two years I've had it, had that happen, ever.

It was a joke. That will only happen if it's not inserted up far enough.

Hahah ok I was wondering.

@VeryKatie Half kidding and half not. If it's not inserted up far enough, if you take a strenous poop (lol), your muscles will squeeze it out. You can feel it sliding down lmao. Smh. Sometimes even running or anything that causes motion will make your muscles squeeze it out. I had quite a difficult time sometimes getting it up far enough. But once it's in, and it's in good, you won't even notice it.
    kaylag45 wrote: »
    I would definitely talk to your doctor either way, but it takes up to 3 months for birth control to completely regulate emotions and have your body get used to it. It doesn't take 3 months to protect you (normally 1 month!) but a good 3 months to see the full side effects of the medication. 2 weeks isn't a very good indicator.

Thank you. I'm going to try and wait it out. 3 months of craziness is a long time but maybe it won't take that long for me. If i'm still crazy after that, I'll have to figure something else out.

Thank you ladies, for sharing your experiences!
  • killerqueen21
    killerqueen21 Posts: 157 Member
    sarabreck wrote: »
    I would say give it 2-3 months for your body to adjust, just like anything. The pill was not for me. I couldn't deal with the hormonal effects, and low hormone types are also less effective according to my doc. I gained so much weight and the emotional rollercoaster was awful. I just got a paraguard (copper, no hormone) IUD in February and am pretty happy with it so far. The first few months my periods were really heavy and crampy, but things seem to be getting back to normal now. Exercise is really helpful for me for all the side effects of BC and PMS. If I workout a little extra hard the week before my period, my mood is better and I don't get cramps.

Thanks. That's how i'm feeling right now. I'm lashing out at everyone and everything and am really short tempered right now with people. I'm just going to try to stay by myself when I feel a rage attack coming on and wait for it to pass. I was never like this before except during PMS. Hopefully it will taper off.
  • jordy147
    jordy147 Posts: 2 Member
    I dunno. I hated all of them. Ultimately, once I was in a stable relationship (where I was in a routine with respect to location etc.) I switched to a NON-hormonal BC. They do exist.
    Even then, I tried "mirena" about 15 years ago. That was a mistake.

Good luck finding what works for you.

What are the non-hormonal BC?

Copper IUDs
    cervical caps and spermicide
    diaphragms and spermicide

etc.

And then the more permanent things like vasectomy. :smile:

I also hated all of the pills I tried. I was hormonal, Hangry, moderately depressed, and had pretty terrible mood swings. I also quit birth control once in a stable relationship and <3 spermicide. I do want to chime in though, be careful with them, some brands burn like crazy.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    jordy147 wrote: »
    I dunno. I hated all of them. Ultimately, once I was in a stable relationship (where I was in a routine with respect to location etc.) I switched to a NON-hormonal BC. They do exist.
    Even then, I tried "mirena" about 15 years ago. That was a mistake.

Good luck finding what works for you.

What are the non-hormonal BC?

Copper IUDs
    cervical caps and spermicide
    diaphragms and spermicide

etc.

And then the more permanent things like vasectomy. :smile:

I also hated all of the pills I tried. I was hormonal, Hangry, moderately depressed, and had pretty terrible mood swings. I also quit birth control once in a stable relationship and <3 spermicide. I do want to chime in though, be careful with them, some brands burn like crazy.
    One additional good thing about no hormonal BC: no "pill goggles". :p

http://www.firstnerve.com/2013/01/pill-goggles-consequences-of-oral.html
    http://www.iflscience.com/brain/contraceptives-even-out-male-beauty-playing-field
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2121453/Birth-control-pills-lengthen-relationships--sex-worse-say-researchers.html
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Seriously change your pill, it can time to find the one that doesn't make you crazy. I have been on my current pill for years and it is great since I can go for months without a period. No PMS = no eating everything in sight for two day a month.
  • crys_vb
    crys_vb Posts: 25 Member
    I apologize if this was already said.. i have been on three variations of the same pill over three years and i finally went to the doctor and told her how crazy i felt. I was so constantly up and down, i was happy then i'd want to rip my boyfriend's head off if he looked at me the wrong way. I felt like i was constantly angry. She told me that some girls can't handle birth control and switched me to lolo a low estrogen pill and i feel like myself again! I'm actually happy, it took away all my bloating symptoms and fixed my crazy emotions after two weeks of switching. As for weight gain i gained 5 pounds in three years and i don't know if it's directly related but it definitely made my boobs bigger and i'm not complaining ;)
  • petitehealth
    petitehealth Posts: 148 Member
    paris458 wrote: »
    I never had any issues with the pill, I got a blood clot from the nuva ring. I cannot have the pill anymore so I got the IUD and I love it.

This is the same boat my good friend is in. She had a blood clot as well and is prone to getting them. She got the IUD also because it's safer for her.

I have the nuva ring, can either of you tell me how/what happened with the blood clot? How was it found? What were the symptons? I'd like to be cautious..
  • mystgrl1604
    mystgrl1604 Posts: 117 Member
    I've been on the implant Nexplanon for the past 3yrs and i don't even notice it's there. Don't have to do anything, no mood swings, no appetite changes.