Leg Bruising

Options
I recently started lifting for the first time using The New Rules of Lifting for Women and I also run. I've noticed recently that my legs have a ton of bruises that I don't remember getting. I've always bruised easily, but this seems more than normal. This morning, I noticed a large indentation on the top of my left thigh and a string of bruises next to it on the side of my left thigh. It's very strange (and somewhat disturbing!). Could this be from the lifting? In the past, I've run way more than I am running now and this has never happened, so I doubt that's it. If it is from the lifting, what is happening?

Any insights are much appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    This happened to me a lot when I started hula hooping and lifting after being sedentary for quite some time. My hematologist said it has to do with circulation and blood vessels. Your body should adjust after a short time - it took me about a month before I stopped getting them. I still do get them occasionally, but never as bad as I did when I initially started up.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    This happened to me a lot when I started hula hooping and lifting after being sedentary for quite some time. My hematologist said it has to do with circulation and blood vessels. Your body should adjust after a short time - it took me about a month before I stopped getting them. I still do get them occasionally, but never as bad as I did when I initially started up.

Good to know I'm not the only one! I'll wait for it subside then. Thank you! :smile:
  • LeslieB042812
    Options
    Just an update in case anyone else has the same issue. I did some google searching on the thigh dent (since that bothered me more than the bruising) and apparently it happens more than you would think! It seems that it's a combination of fat loss and pressure. I recently got a standing desk and my leg hits the desk at exactly the same spot as the dent. Here is an article and forum discussing this:
    http://www.scarysymptoms.com/2012/01/does-quadriceps-muscle-dent-have-you.html
    http://training.fitness.com/weight-training/leg-muscle-dent-2294.html
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I recently started lifting for the first time using The New Rules of Lifting for Women and I also run. I've noticed recently that my legs have a ton of bruises that I don't remember getting. I've always bruised easily, but this seems more than normal. This morning, I noticed a large indentation on the top of my left thigh and a string of bruises next to it on the side of my left thigh. It's very strange (and somewhat disturbing!). Could this be from the lifting? In the past, I've run way more than I am running now and this has never happened, so I doubt that's it. If it is from the lifting, what is happening?

From deadlifting, perhaps?
  • LeslieB042812
    Options

From deadlifting, perhaps?

possibly, i'm just glad it's not permanent! :smile:
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    This totally happened to me too. I bruise like a banana normally. Ha!
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Oh yes! I don't know what yours look like but this is standard practice for me. Like you, I stand for work, I skate, I walk, and I do a lot of ground work so... yeah. It happens. They go away. If I overdo it, they come back. I judge my need for a rest day by the number of bruises I have at this point :smiley:
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Yeah i get bruises whenever i work out, you just nick yourself here and there without knowing it.

But if you're bruising a LOT, it's worth getting a blood test or checking your meds, something else may be going on. there was this one NSAID i used to take that led to a lot of bruising. also could be anemia eg
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    weird!! I thought maybe I was just hitting my legs on things and not remembering.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Yep. I bruise my legs often from deadlifts and during the stages with the one arm dumbbell snatch after a certain weight I kept bruising my left arm from the edge of the dumbbell hitting it. With deadlift when it gets heavy you worry more about moving the weight and not dropping than what part of your leg it's touching/hitting. :wink:
  • LeslieB042812
    Options
    Lots of good tips! I initially had the same thought as Paris (that I was just hitting my legs and forgetting). It's interesting to note that deadlifts can lead to bruising because I have been doing them (and really enjoy them, too!). Tomatoey's suggestion about the NSAIDs is a good one, too, I hadn't thought of that and I do use them for headaches (esp. now during allergy season), so that might be contributing.

Thank you all for your insights--and especially for making me feel "normal" (whatever that is!). :smile:
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    LOL, my friends have actually started noticing when I don't have bruises from lifting. :D
  • jessenya3712
    jessenya3712 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Mine took about a month also. I had a lot of bruising that it came to my attention also.