macros and micros just for fun

Options
TiJoGa
TiJoGa Posts: 545 Member
I'm just curious what other people pay close attention to as far as their nutrition numbers go.

For me because of previous health issues I focus more on my fiber, potassium, & sodium. I make these a higher priority then, for example, how much fat I am getting in a day.

Just curious what is a priority to other people (besides calories of course!)

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I just hit my macros to be honest.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    TiJoGa wrote: »
    I'm just curious what other people pay close attention to as far as their nutrition numbers go.

For me because of previous health issues I focus more on my fiber, potassium, & sodium. I make these a higher priority then, for example, how much fat I am getting in a day.

Just curious what is a priority to other people (besides calories of course!)

I mostly watch the macros. I keep an spot check my iron to keep it around 50% RDA for reasons.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I watch my micros. I'm trying to get to the point where I eat a healthy, balanced diet...maybe even without requiring a multivitamin. So, I'm keeping an eye on my micros and adjusting what I eat.

I'm not doing too well yet, lol.
  • yellowantphil
    yellowantphil Posts: 787 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    All macros, sodium, potassium, and calcium. I don't care about cholesterol. For vitamin A, vitamin C, and iron, I get enough in supplements, so I don't worry about them.

I just noticed: that means I track only macros and electrolytes.
  • DennyB1964
    DennyB1964 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Macros, potassium, and magnesium.

I'm better at watching them some days than I am others.
  • TiJoGa
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I watch my micros. I'm trying to get to the point where I eat a healthy, balanced diet...maybe even without requiring a multivitamin. So, I'm keeping an eye on my micros and adjusting what I eat.

I feel like that most days :) for some reason I have the hardest time meeting my potassium goals. Each day I try again though!
  • Kalikel
    Options

I feel like that most days :) for some reason I have the hardest time meeting my potassium goals. Each day I try again though!

I'm not even aiming to get all the amounts of all of them on a daily basis. If I could just get them all on a regular basis, I'd be happy.

When I make one, the others suffer. It's kind of a pain in the *kitten* and I'm not sure I'll ever get there. But I have a much better diet than I did, so progress is progress. :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I watch calories, fat, protein, carbs, and to some extent fiber. I don't bother with micros, but I eat a varied and (I think) balanced diet - at least three servings of fruit and three servings of vegetables of every color, and nuts and dairy, every day, and often fatty fish, red meat and liver, and I feel OK, so I believe I'm OK.
  • kommodevaran
    Options

Are you sure? Most foods have a lot of potassium, but it's rarely declared on labels (or in MFP database); look it up at the USDA.
  • TiJoGa
    Options
    Are you sure? Most foods have a lot of potassium, but it's rarely declared on labels (or in MFP database); look it up at the USDA.

I didn't know that, thanks!
  • Kalikel
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Most Americans don't get enough potassium. It's true that if you're using mfp and it's not on the label that it won't show up in a label entry, but even if it did, there's a good chance any one of us would fall short, since most of us do.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    Most Americans don't get enough potassium. It's true that if you're using mfp and it's not on the label that it won't show up in a label entry, but even if it did, there's a good chance any one of us would fall short, since most of us do.

Maybe you're right. But most Americans (and I'd guess most Norwegians too) eat a lot of convenience food that has added sodium. People who "watch their diet" tend to eat more home cooked meals, and most foods in their original state (practically everything besides crustaceans) have more potassium than sodium and will not be excessively salted. We need a balance between potassium and sodium. (That's sort of why salt has been so expensive in the past, and even is mentioned a lot in the Bible.)