High Protein, High Fat, Low Carb

Hi, everyone! I've always been a "healthy eater" and have watched my calorie intake. However, I've decided to switch things up and try out a high protein, high fat, low carb diet (in conjunction with the workouts I already do: 1 hour bootcamp 5 days a week, running intervals for 30 minutes once a week) since I haven't been seeing much progress with leaning out. Does anyone have experience with this "diet" and have tips/recipes they could possibly share? I'm not a fan of chicken so I realize that limits the recipes quite a bit. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Can you define what you mean by HPHFLC please, one High is usually enough.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Low carbing is purposely meant to be Low carb, high fat and moderate protein. I'm not entirely sure on the science behind it but it could be gluconeogenesis? Or the fact that more protein means you're eating less leafy green vegetables = digestion issues etc.

You don't need low carbs to lean out, unless you have a medical issue or are cutting for some sort of competition or photo shoot etc.

As long as you eat in a caloric deficit you will lose weight. And if you plan to come off the low carbing, expect your water weight to increase to where it was before.
  • smslogan317
    smslogan317 Posts: 39 Member
    I do this quite often, I cycle my macros depending on my goals, right now as far as the numbers go I am high protein, high fat, low carb, but when you look at percentages, I am high fat low carb, which is ketogenic. 4calories per gram of protein and carb, and 9 for fat. I use this when I am cutting/losing. When I want to bulk I increase carbs lower fat and increase protein to 1.5-2 grams of LEAN body mass. I also cycle calories, I may increase my daily calories by 300-400 for a few days then go back to my norm, or go down with them. All of these tools work extremely well for me and I use them routinely.
    Everyone seems to forget about pork, but if you don't like chicken pork is an excellent source of protein and fat, and trimmed can be very lean as well. I will have bacon and eggs, frequently, with this diet.
    A lot has to do with my workout routine, whether I am doing volume training, strength, or hypertrophy. Everything is a factor.
    I am not sure if you are following ketogenic or not but if you are there are some things to keep in mind. 1.)The purpose is to keep glucose levels down( I keep carbs to 52 grams a day), so as not to secrete insulin, since insulin is a growth and fat storage hormone. 2.) You do not need carbs to survive, but you need fat and protein, your brain does not need carbs to function it can function quite fine on ketones. 3.) If you take in to much protein while on KETO your liver will start to produce sugar and insulin production will start.
    Hope this helps
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    You can join the low carb group on here.

There are a few varieties of doing it. There are lots of opinions on low carb diets, especially on this forum.

It can work, and I have lost 125 lbs in 18 months on mine. I do count calories and do cardio on my plan.

Good luck!!

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Hi, everyone! I've always been a "healthy eater" and have watched my calorie intake. However, I've decided to switch things up and try out a high protein, high fat, low carb diet (in conjunction with the workouts I already do: 1 hour bootcamp 5 days a week, running intervals for 30 minutes once a week) since I haven't been seeing much progress with leaning out. Does anyone have experience with this "diet" and have tips/recipes they could possibly share? I'm not a fan of chicken so I realize that limits the recipes quite a bit. Thanks in advance!

your training may suffer if you switch to LC and are not used to it…

My only caveat to this is that you are not going to magically lose more weight on LC as opposed to a straight calorie deficit. But, choose a path, stick to it, and see how it goes.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Without getting technical, low carb diets are shifting the energy burden from glycogen to ketones.

Glycogen is the short term energy storage form of carb sources. It is stored inside muscle fibers as well as in the liver. It can also be synthesized from amino acids.

Ketones are produced by the liver from fatty acids, when additional energy is required and not available from glycogen. These fatty acids are stored in your fat cells.

There are a number of LCHF diets floating around. Atkin's is a well known one, and you may have heard of the Caveman or Keto diets, which are other versions. There are community forum groups for both low carb and keto here on MFP, and resources all over the internet dedicated to one or another particular "style" of low carb dieting, as well as dozens of books on the subject.

These diets are not high protein, but moderate. You need to eat enough protein to support your needs for muscle maint/building, but not so much that gluconeogenesis ( conversion of amino acids from protein ) becomes a major part of your energy source profile.

Not only will high protein defeat the the shifting into ketone burning as the primary energy source, there is also evidence of increased health risk/factors for kidney disease.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    pmm3437 wrote: »
    Without getting technical, low carb diets are shifting the energy burden from glycogen to ketones.

Glycogen is the short term energy storage form of carb sources. It is stored inside muscle fibers as well as in the liver. It can also be synthesized from amino acids.

Ketones are produced by the liver from fatty acids, when additional energy is required and not available from glycogen. These fatty acids are stored in your fat cells.

There are a number of LCHF diets floating around. Atkin's is a well known one, and you may have heard of the Caveman or Keto diets, which are other versions. There are community forum groups for both low carb and keto here on MFP, and resources all over the internet dedicated to one or another particular "style" of low carb dieting, as well as dozens of books on the subject.

These diets are not high protein, but moderate. You need to eat enough protein to support your needs for muscle maint/building, but not so much that gluconeogenesis ( conversion of amino acids from protein ) becomes a major part of your energy source profile.

Not only will high protein defeat the the shifting into ketone burning as the primary energy source, there is also evidence of increased health risk/factors for kidney disease.

go ahead and link us to said studies?

pretty sure most of those are based on an insane amount of protein like 400 grams plus a day or something insane like that.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    yarwell wrote: »
    Can you define what you mean by HPHFLC please, one High is usually enough.

^^THIS^^
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    You can switch up your macros all you want, but if you're not eating less calories than you burn, you're not going to "lean out" (assuming you mean losing body fat).
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    I was on a Dr assisted Low Carb diet for a year and a half to reverse type 2 diabetes.

He told me the high protein issues and we were doing 6 month blood tests, and liver and kidney numbers were monitored, as well as A1C.

But...

I'm a fan of low to moderate carb with the carbs sourced from fibrous veggies, that worked awesome for me.

You still have to eat less calories than you need in order to rip the pounds off.

Adding cardio and lifting helps.

So it is really only slightly different than any other life nutrition management strategy in that carbs are an additional focus.

No magic

No easy road to slim

There is no eat more than your body can burn off and lose weight diet

You can't out work your fork.

• CindyLeki
    CindyLeki Posts: 3 Member
    What is too much protein on a low carb diet. I'm trying for ketosis.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,015 Member
    CindyLeki wrote: »

Google a keto calculator. Input your stats and it will help you decide. If you aren't very active, shoot for the minimum. If you are moderately active, then choose a little higher.

It's usually recommended to consume a minimum of 1g protein per kg of weight. But that depends on which guru you ask. Some recs range from .8-1.2 g per kg of lean body mass.

So for me (at 159lb) would be 72g minimum. But I workout a lot, so I eat about 120g. Plus, I like meat. So there you go.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member

It's a bit individual. If you were aiming for high ketones for medical reasons you would be advised to eat more grams of fat than (protein + carbs) possibly by a factor of 1.5 or 2. There's a Polish guy with an "optimal diet" and a Swede called Skaldeman with a similar index.

So as an example 70g of protein, 20g of carbs and 110g of fat has a ratio of 1.2
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member

Might I ask why? If you haven't researched enough to know what your other macro targets should be, how much research have you done to determine this is a suitable diet choice?