Fitbit Charge HR vs Garmin Vivosmart

Options
bac0s
bac0s Posts: 48 Member
I'm curious if anyone has tried both of these? I've found that for the same steps and activity, the Fitbit says I burn about 1000 more calories than the vivosmart does. I have my activity level set to sedentary, complete around 83-85k steps per week, including 3-4 days of 45 minutes moderate intensity cardio. Fitbit regularly says I burn 3500-4200 calories a day. I weigh 250. That just seems so high to me. Thoughts?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    The only way to gauge the accuracy of your Fitbit is to trust it for several weeks, then reevaluate your progress. I lost the weight & have maintained for a year with a Fitbit—first Flex, now Charge HR.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • bac0s
    Options
    Eh, yeah. I guess you answered my question. I've been using the charge hr for months, measuring and logging diligently, and not losing anywhere near what my deficit is set too. Bummer. I prefer it to the Garmin.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    bac0s wrote: »
    I've been using the charge hr for months, measuring and logging diligently, and not losing anywhere near what my deficit is set too.

Open your diary for personalized advice, but a healthy, sustainable loss is .5 lb. per week for every 25 lbs. you're overweight. Undereating won't get you to goal any more quickly.
  • bac0s
    Options
    Unfortunately, it's not my first rodeo. I definitely don't undereat and I've successfully lost 75 pounds before (keeping it off... Ugh). Never with an activity tracker though. I'm just trying to figure out why there's such a big discrepancy of upwards of 1000 cal a day between the two devices for the same number of steps.
  • boomhower1820
    boomhower1820 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have the garmin and really like it. The HR chest band is much more accurate than the wrist reader on the charge. I like getting smartphone notifications as well. I'm not that impressed with the app and don't like that all exercise is read as running and you can't change that. I'm looking forward to see what improvements are baked in the second version. Never had a Fiibit but did have an UP24 previously.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I have the garmin and really like it. The HR chest band is much more accurate than the wrist reader on the charge. I like getting smartphone notifications as well. I'm not that impressed with the app and don't like that all exercise is read as running and you can't change that. I'm looking forward to see what improvements are baked in the second version. Never had a Fiibit but did have an UP24 previously.

I am looking to replace my current tracker this weekend and had narrowed my selection down to the Fitbit HR or the Garmin. I already have a compatible chest strap for the Garmin so I am getting that for myself and the HR for the BF as he doesn't want a chest strap at all.

• WeaponXI
    WeaponXI Posts: 63 Member
    Options

I have the Vivosmart and find it more accurate and provides more information than fitbit. Some may not like it, but I like all the info I get from it. As far as the above where you can't change the exercise from running. This can be done very easily by editing the exercise through the garmin connect app. And during the last software update, the sleep monitoring I find more detailed than what Fitbit has.
  • Aprilmeyers13
    Aprilmeyers13 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have both. Just gave the fitbit to my daughter because I like the look and feel of the vivosmart better. Plus, I don't have to take or off. My fitbit wore over time - 7 months tk be exact and they replaced it. It was while I waited for that replacement that I tool the vivosmart for a test drive. It was little more difficult to set up and I miss the built in HRM but I've gotten used to the strap and find in general, the vivosmart to be more accurate