PERIOD PAIN... HELP !!!!!

Options

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, in the last week, your proteins, fats and irons is very extremely low, maybe that's why.
  • Fay84Vegan
    Fay84Vegan Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Ok, so you went gluten free because you were having bowel issues and now they are even worse. Hhhhmmmmm...... Have you been diagnose by a doctor or you diagnose yourself for gluten issues??

I have always had Diarreah whilst on my period (apparently it happens because of the bleeding and vibration of the womb looseness the Bowles at the same time). With more pain comes more diarreah sadly.

I have read comments from other women that have suffered with bad periods after removing gluten from their diet, but from what they have said it has only last a few months.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I was given mefanamic acid when I was a teenager for heavy, painful periods. I can highly recommend an IUD however, no more heavy or painful periods, or in fact, anything more than light spotting once every 5 or 6 weeks. Problem solved, with the added bonus of 99.99999999% reliability on pregnancy prevention.

ETA:
    Period pain is not listed as one of the things Slippery Elm can be used for on Web MD
    http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-978-slippery elm.aspx?activeingredientid=978&activeingredientname=slippery elm

It also says:
    Slippery elm is POSSIBLY SAFE for most people when taken by mouth. When applied to the skin, some people can have an allergic reactions and skin irritation.

If it causes skin irritation or allergic reactions in some people, is it possible this is making your intestinal issues worse, which in turn are making your period pains worse?

Yup, I've read that. But yes, it was used as an abortifacient, so go figure.

as for the Mirena: I'd be wary of adding synthetic hormones back into the mix.
  • Fay84Vegan
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Ok, so you went gluten free because you were having bowel issues and now they are even worse. Hhhhmmmmm...... Have you been diagnose by a doctor or you diagnose yourself for gluten issues??

Also...

I did go to the Doctor to get tested but they actually told me not to bother because even if I was celiac it is hard to diagnose. They said I'm better off just cutting it out of my diet if I have a problem.

Simply, if I eat gluten/wheat I feel awful
  • Fay84Vegan
    Options
    are you getting enough calcium. Are you taking any "female herbs" line dong qui or black cohosh - it made me have severe cramps when I wasn't having any. I had the kind you describe, and my doctor put me on birth control pills when I was 15 - although he didn't tell mom what they were. back then you didn't question doctors, they were God. But I could not believe how these "miracle" pills cured me. Anyway the ibuprofen are the only tabs that helped me a little after I got off the bc pills. I did the same thing, the moment I knew I was coming on I started popping them.
    Then low and behold I needed a hystorectomy so that solved it. Insist the doctor helps you, nobody should have to suffer just because they are female. you are paying your money, she works for you. don't be shy about it.

Thank you!!
  • Fay84Vegan
    Options
    I was given mefanamic acid when I was a teenager for heavy, painful periods. I can highly recommend an IUD however, no more heavy or painful periods, or in fact, anything more than light spotting once every 5 or 6 weeks. Problem solved, with the added bonus of 99.99999999% reliability on pregnancy prevention.

ETA:
    Period pain is not listed as one of the things Slippery Elm can be used for on Web MD
    http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-978-slippery elm.aspx?activeingredientid=978&activeingredientname=slippery elm

It also says:
    Slippery elm is POSSIBLY SAFE for most people when taken by mouth. When applied to the skin, some people can have an allergic reactions and skin irritation.

If it causes skin irritation or allergic reactions in some people, is it possible this is making your intestinal issues worse, which in turn are making your period pains worse?

And....
    Medications taken by mouth (Oral drugs) interacts with SLIPPERY ELM
    Slippery elm contains a type of soft fiber called mucilage. Mucilage can decrease how much medicine the body absorbs. Taking slippery elm at the same time you take medications by mouth can decrease the effectiveness of your medication. To prevent this interaction take slippery elm at least one hour after medications you take by mouth.

This can be very dangerous if you are on life saving medication such as epilepsy medication, it seems Slippery elm can reduce the amount of your medication that you absorb. It is also not ideal if you are on the Pill since reduction in the amount of Pill you are absorbing reduces its effectiveness, thus increasing the likelihood of pregnancy, and its effectiveness at treating reproductive (or other) problems.

Thanks for the info !!

I started taking that to help heal my gut not for pain relief.

I'm not on the pill but I will bare this in mind when taking painkillers, thank you.
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Fay84Vegan wrote: »
    My pain is really bad too. I got to the point last year where I was having pain all month, and I had the surgery to see if it was Endometriosis, it wasn't, so I have no explanation/cure. I take the pill (have done so for nearly 7 years) and I take an extra set of progesterone to help the pain.

When I have my period, I take Naproxen (usually 2 every 8 hours) and I take acetaminophen with codeine every 8 hours too, I live with a hot water bottle, because of everything last year, I need to have it super hot, it helps, but don't burn yourself. Also, apparently bananas help, they help me a bit at least.

I would definitely go to another doctor, by the way. Obviously the one you have doesn't care, another one will though, also, try the IUD if you don't want the pill, that helps some women a lot.

ETA: Both those pain killers are over the counter, by the way.

You had pain ALL MONTH? ...Poor you!!

I just wrote out a long reply and it only sent the first sentence !!!

Those brands sound American? I live in the UK, I've not heard of them before.

Maybe try a different pill to help with your pains? When I was on the pill I had pain free light periods but it was a very mild hormone. (I had bad symptoms coming off the pill so decided not to take it again!)

Oh I assumed you were American, in Australia we call it Naprogesic, you call it Feminax Ultra (apparently) and Paracetamol mixed with codeine, we call it Panadeine Forte (http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/lloydspharmacy-co-codamol-8mg-500mg-tablets-32-tablets-17803). I mix them, and you can, but don't do it for more than a few days at a time, and try to make sure you eat plenty of food with them.
  • Fay84Vegan
    Options
    My pain is really bad too. I got to the point last year where I was having pain all month, and I had the surgery to see if it was Endometriosis, it wasn't, so I have no explanation/cure. I take the pill (have done so for nearly 7 years) and I take an extra set of progesterone to help the pain.

When I have my period, I take Naproxen (usually 2 every 8 hours) and I take acetaminophen with codeine every 8 hours too, I live with a hot water bottle, because of everything last year, I need to have it super hot, it helps, but don't burn yourself. Also, apparently bananas help, they help me a bit at least.

I would definitely go to another doctor, by the way. Obviously the one you have doesn't care, another one will though, also, try the IUD if you don't want the pill, that helps some women a lot.

ETA: Both those pain killers are over the counter, by the way.

You had pain ALL MONTH? ...Poor you!!

I just wrote out a long reply and it only sent the first sentence !!!

Those brands sound American? I live in the UK, I've not heard of them before.

Maybe try a different pill to help with your pains? When I was on the pill I had pain free light periods but it was a very mild hormone. (I had bad symptoms coming off the pill so decided not to take it again!)

Oh I assumed you were American, in Australia we call it Naprogesic, you call it Feminax Ultra (apparently) and Paracetamol mixed with codeine, we call it Panadeine Forte (http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/lloydspharmacy-co-codamol-8mg-500mg-tablets-32-tablets-17803). I mix them, and you can, but don't do it for more than a few days at a time, and try to make sure you eat plenty of food with them.

Thank you
  • NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I had a polyp I had to have removed my uterus my periods and the pain were awful. You may want to see a ob-gyn
    jemhh wrote: »
    Have you seen a doctor for this? That much pain could be indicative of endometriosis or another medical problem.

Many women have improved their periods through diet or other methods and I am interested to see if anyone has suggestions that I haven't tried.

• mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

ETA:

It also says:

Actually the Mirena is recommended to people with other medical conditions because the hormones stay inside the womb and are not transmitted into the blood. That's why I use it - I have epilepsy which can be affected by changes in hormones so I can't go on the Pill, but I have to make damn sure I don't get pregnant since pregnancy hormones can make epilepsy go haywire!

I read the bit on the abortion. Interesting the folklore went from 'when inserted into the cervix' to 'when taken by mouth'.... pretty sure they're different! And I would think that most things inserted into a pregnant woman's cervix have a high chance of causing miscarriage.

ETA Mirena is also used to treat endometriosis.
  • jmd543
    jmd543 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I take extra turmeric during that week, and it helps me a lot.
  • Becca211H
    Becca211H Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I found Dong Quai helped my cramps. I know someone above said it makes theirs worse, but I had the opposite reaction. Red Raspberry leaf tea is good too.
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Endometriosis can cause the GI symptoms you're experiencing. I'd find a new gyn. I had similar issues ever since my first period, and went back on the pill (combination pill). I skip my period for 4 months at a time, then have my "period" for a week and start again. My cramps are minimal now, and bleeding is super light. It's been a life saver for me.

Also, Tylenol with codeine is NOT over the counter in the U.S. Prescription only.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited July 2015
    Options

ETA:

It also says:

Actually the Mirena is recommended to people with other medical conditions because the hormones stay inside the womb and are not transmitted into the blood. That's why I use it - I have epilepsy which can be affected by changes in hormones so I can't go on the Pill, but I have to make damn sure I don't get pregnant since pregnancy hormones can make epilepsy go haywire!

I read the bit on the abortion. Interesting the folklore went from 'when inserted into the cervix' to 'when taken by mouth'.... pretty sure they're different! And I would think that most things inserted into a pregnant woman's cervix have a high chance of causing miscarriage.

ETA Mirena is also used to treat endometriosis.

It doesn't stay "in the womb". It has systemic effects just like the others. Thus all the side effects listed. And no, things in the cervix (like your doctor's fingers, the "duck lips" etc.) don't cause miscarriage.
  • Fay84Vegan
    Options
    jmd543 wrote: »

I have Turmeric tablets in my cupboard ... I'll start taking them! Thanks
  • Fay84Vegan
    Options
    Becca211H wrote: »
    I found Dong Quai helped my cramps. I know someone above said it makes theirs worse, but I had the opposite reaction. Red Raspberry leaf tea is good too.

I had heard good thing about Raspberry leaf tea but it has done nothing for me sadly. I drank it consistently leading up to and during my periods and they didn't improve at all :(
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    jmd543 wrote: »

I have Turmeric tablets in my cupboard ... I'll start taking them! Thanks

fwiw, I add both ginger and turmeric root to my green smoothies...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Endometriosis can cause the GI symptoms you're experiencing. I'd find a new gyn. I had similar issues ever since my first period, and went back on the pill (combination pill). I skip my period for 4 months at a time, then have my "period" for a week and start again. My cramps are minimal now, and bleeding is super light. It's been a life saver for me.

Also, Tylenol with codeine is NOT over the counter in the U.S. Prescription only.

I was thinking it sounds like the symptoms of endo as well.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    These symptoms sound like what I used to have. They thought it was endometriosis; turned out to be fibroids and adenomyosis. You've got to see a doctor when things hurt that much. If your regular MD isn't working for you then u need someone else. Preferably an obgyn. I ended up having to have a hysterectomy, but most women can get satisfactory treatment in other ways. Herbal medicines are wonderful but they don't fix everything all the time, especially when you don't have a definite diagnosis so you don't know what you have to treat exactly. Once you find out what is making your cycles so terrible, you can work with your doctor to find the best treatment, be it natural or prescription or both. Take care of yourself, ok? Please don't try to ignore it. the sooner you get help the better.
  • Fay84Vegan
    Options

I was thinking it sounds like the symptoms of endo as well.

If so, what causes it?

Identifying the problem is important & so is finding out the cause in the first place..!

Painful periods run in my family but I am not one to pass it off as 'genetic', there must be a reason & prevention..?