I have a problem

Options
2 years ago I lost about 3 stone through diet alone. I didn't use mfp as I didn't know it existed then. I clearly know how the whole diet thing works...do what's the problem?

Last September I started Stronglifts 5x5. I have gone pretty much 3 times a week fairly religiously and can see the muscles developing that losing about 1-2 stone will show off.....so what's the problem?

I have a super supportive bf who helps me plan my day of meals to hit my macros...so what's the problem??

The problem is today I ate 3x100g bars of choc on top of my planned meals. Yesterday it's was a box of luxury chocolates that reckon came in at around 800 calories on top of my planned meals. Before that, it was a whole medium pizza to myself on top of my planned meals. My tummy feels ridiculously tight and uncomfortable and there is no way I'm eating because I'm hungry. I feel weak for not having the willpower to do what I KNOW works. I feel ashamed of letting myself and my bf down (he would be sad for me, not guilt trip me, which is somehow worse!)

So what's the problem? I am the problem and I can't see how to help myself at the moment.

Replies

• sue4159
    sue4159 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think you just need to reset your head, from ' I've blown it, so I might as well go the whole hog' to ' tomorrow is another day and a clean sheet to start over.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    2 years ago I lost about 3 stone through diet alone. I didn't use mfp as I didn't know it existed then. I clearly know how the whole diet thing works...do what's the problem?

Last September I started Stronglifts 5x5. I have gone pretty much 3 times a week fairly religiously and can see the muscles developing that losing about 1-2 stone will show off.....so what's the problem?

I have a super supportive bf who helps me plan my day of meals to hit my macros...so what's the problem??

The problem is today I ate 3x100g bars of choc on top of my planned meals. Yesterday it's was a box of luxury chocolates that reckon came in at around 800 calories on top of my planned meals. Before that, it was a whole medium pizza to myself on top of my planned meals. My tummy feels ridiculously tight and uncomfortable and there is no way I'm eating because I'm hungry. I feel weak for not having the willpower to do what I KNOW works. I feel ashamed of letting myself and my bf down (he would be sad for me, not guilt trip me, which is somehow worse!)

So what's the problem? I am the problem and I can't see how to help myself at the moment.

Go to bed. Get up in the morning. Start fresh.
  • onthemesa
    onthemesa Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    What happens before the binge? Are you bored? Upset? There may be a common trigger that causes the craving. If you can identify this feeling or situation, you can take steps to combat it. I find a big glass of water and a snack (which I have previously weighed and portioned out), can satisfy the itch. Or I find something to busy myself with. The craving is temporary and will pass, as you said, you are not actually hungry.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    we all have that problem, that is why we are here. I guess you need to want to fit in your clothes more than you want to eat. That is why I am here.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Hey, no specific triggers like being bored. The circumstances vary. Yesterday and today have been busy workwise, no time to be bored. the pizza day was because I wanted pizza, but just couldn't/wouldn't/didn't choose to regulate the rest of my day.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You can't uneat it, so quit beating yourself up.

You ate some food. It's over. Just move on.

This is not the end of the world, you know? :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hey, no specific triggers like being bored. The circumstances vary. Yesterday and today have been busy workwise, no time to be bored. the pizza day was because I wanted pizza, but just couldn't/wouldn't/didn't choose to regulate the rest of my day.

Once I start to eat a problem food, I have a hard time regulating the rest of the day, so if I am going to have pizza or ice cream, I have it at the end of the day.

I've eaten chocolate mindlessly at work when stressed, but have found a chocolate raspberry protein powder also does the trick for a whole lot less calories.

• soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Lifting makes me super hungry. The best thing to combat it is to have a plan. Log your food, plan for some carbs and protein after lifting. If you slip up get over it and move on.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

+1 and what the others said. Seriously stop makibng such a big deal of it as well as the its dreaful stuff. Reality you ate a bit of extra food over your tragets. Give yourself a break be a bit more mindful and stop fretting its a serious waste of time.

Log the food and just be mindful of the overeating and gradually reduce it one day at a time. If you need to then do a bit of cardio to help burn it off over the week.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Mistral - maybe check out the binge eating thread and see if anything there resonates with you: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10201280/what-qualifies-as-binge-eating#latest
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

I agree. It's hard not to beat ourselves up when we let it happen, but nothing will change what's done. You only have power over what you do tomorrow. Start fresh. :)
  • jaxxeemom
    jaxxeemom Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think you need to try to plan for the cravings, like in the morning before work pack lots of good snacks. An apple, lots of celery, a banana or something like that and when you have a craving, don't have the chocolate around, don't buy it. It's hard, you fall off the wagon occasionally but the more you're on damage control the more good days you'll have instead of bad. You can do it! : )
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Give yourself a break.....

You have had sustained success with weight loss and increasing your strength through dedicated training - a box of chocolates and a pizza does not undo ALL of that.

Tomorrow IS a new day - expecting perfection and reacting with such self deprecation is a sure way of making your life much more difficult than it need be.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much mfps for some much needed perspective. I was getting too hung up on the minutiae.

Made sure I dressed in something super pretty today to remind myself that I'm worth the effort and sacrifices!

I feel much better today, so again, thank you all :)