What qualifies as "binge eating"?

Options
So I frequently see people referring to "binge eaters/eating". Is there a consensus on what qualifies as a binge? I tend to have a few days each week where I go over my calorie goals by a significant amount. I don't worry about it too much since I get back to a healthier lifestyle after a day or two (and most importantly I am still losing), but I was wondering if this pattern qualifies as periodic binge eating...

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    No consensus. To some people, it means you must eat a TON of food. Some go by the type of food. Some go by amount. Some go with calories and there are different totals there. Anorexics might be devastated by their binge if they ate 1300 calories.

No one definition.
  • InfoomaousTete
    InfoomaousTete Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    For myself, I consider binge eating any time I go over maintenance calories for more than a few days. I have had weeks, months and years of binge eating and that is why I am here...lol. :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Official definition:

A. Recurrent episodes of binge eating. An episode of binge eating is characterized by both of the following:

Eating, in a discrete period of time (e.g., within any 2-hour period), an amount of food that is definitely larger than what most people would eat in a similar period of time under similar circumstances.
    A sense of lack of control over eating during the episode (e.g., a feeling that one cannot stop eating or control what or how much one is eating).
    B. The binge-eating episodes are associated with three (or more) of the following:

Eating much more rapidly than normal.
    Eating until feeling uncomfortably full.
    Eating large amounts of food when not feeling physically hungry.
    Eating alone because of feeling embarrassed by how much one is eating.
    Feeling disgusted with oneself, depressed, or very guilty afterward.
    C. Marked distress regarding binge eating is present.
    D. The binge eating occurs, on average, at least once a week for 3 months.
    E. The binge eating is not associated with the recurrent use of inappropriate compensatory behavior as in bulimia nervosa and does not occur exclusively during the course of bulimia nervosa or anorexia nervosa."[5]
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    It often involves claiming to be out of control when eating. There's not a sufficiently specific general definition used here, so far as I can tell.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    for me binge eating is when i have an oncontrollable appitite. the days where all you do is eat all day long, i usually go over calories by 1000+ calories on those days. it will be look something like breakfast of eggs and toast, then a little later cereal, then a little later chips, then a little later lunch, then a burger, ...........and so one. it literally is unctrolable eating. your full but you cant stop. it happens to me every couple months. when in the moment i know its wrong but yet i cant seem to keep my cool and literally eat all day
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Official definition:

A. Recurrent episodes of binge eating. An episode of binge eating is characterized by both of the following:

Eating, in a discrete period of time (e.g., within any 2-hour period), an amount of food that is definitely larger than what most people would eat in a similar period of time under similar circumstances.
    A sense of lack of control over eating during the episode (e.g., a feeling that one cannot stop eating or control what or how much one is eating).
    B. The binge-eating episodes are associated with three (or more) of the following:

E. The binge eating is not associated with the recurrent use of inappropriate compensatory behavior as in bulimia nervosa and does not occur exclusively during the course of bulimia nervosa or anorexia nervosa."[5]

I guess I have a binge eating disorder. Fortunately my exercise disorder balances the scale.

#goldfishlyfe
  • HealthyHappy619
    HealthyHappy619 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input all!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    magerum wrote: »
    Official definition:

I guess I have a binge eating disorder. Fortunately my exercise disorder balances the scale.

#goldfishlyfe

Most people can't and shouldn't self diagnose.

sarcasm20meter.jpg
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I have had binge eating disorder for 18 years. For me it is:

Uncontrollable and overwhelming need to eat and eat and eat
    Doing it in secret
    Feelings of self hate and loathing
    A period following the binge where you fast or plan to make up for it in some way
    Panicking at any little amount of food over your alloted amount
    Obsessive counting of hours or days between binges
    A binge can also last days, it's not always just one huge meal

For me these are the "highlights".
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    magerum wrote: »
    Official definition:

#goldfishlyfe

I don't binge, butttttt goldfish? Yeah, I'll eat 2000 cal of goldfish for 2 days instead of any other food....

Goldfish are the devil. LOL. I don't buy them!
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    An official binge has at least 1000 calories consumed within 4 hours.
  • lautour
    lautour Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    So a milkshake?
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

How is that a binge? For many active men, that's "a meal". I eat an 1100 calorie seitan club sandwich sometimes; is that a binge, even though it fits my calories and I am in no way out of control or ashamed?

Where did you get this definition?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Already highlighted that for me there would be an out of control element for a significant amount of calories, so a bing would really be 2000 and more likely 3000+ calories. Anything less is just a bit of overeating or a pizza. A truly out of control binge would last for a sustained period.

Calling it a binge when you are still within your calorific allowance or its less than 500 or even 1000 calories is ridiculous imo, but soemthing you often see on MFP. People are all too ready to demonise or over dramatise their food consumption.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options

How is that a binge? For many active men, that's "a meal". I eat an 1100 calorie seitan club sandwich sometimes; is that a binge, even though it fits my calories and I am in no way out of control or ashamed?

Where did you get this definition?

I'm not a man, but a 1000 calorie meal isn't all that unusual for me, either.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    Does that mean if you go out to dinner and have a big meal at a restaurant, it's a binge? Many restaurant meals are well over 1000 calories. (Check out the calorie counts at the major chains!) If a binge is eating 1000 calories more than you need for the day, than someone like me would be "bingeing" if I ate 2200 calories in an entire day.
  • Zombieinkpot
    Zombieinkpot Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    A binge, for me, is usually gathering a large quantity of food which I eat as quickly as possible in secret, usually to the point of feeling so sick that it is difficult to force the food in. My logged binges range from 1000 - 6000 + calories eaten in about 30 minutes. It has nothing to do with hunger. Obviously feelings of self loathing, uncontrollable behaviour and subsequent restricting apply.