What qualifies as "binge eating"?

Options
2»

Replies

• fulltimelife
    fulltimelife Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Official definition:

A. Recurrent episodes of binge eating. An episode of binge eating is characterized by both of the following:

Eating, in a discrete period of time (e.g., within any 2-hour period), an amount of food that is definitely larger than what most people would eat in a similar period of time under similar circumstances.
    A sense of lack of control over eating during the episode (e.g., a feeling that one cannot stop eating or control what or how much one is eating).
    B. The binge-eating episodes are associated with three (or more) of the following:

Eating much more rapidly than normal.
    Eating until feeling uncomfortably full.
    Eating large amounts of food when not feeling physically hungry.
    Eating alone because of feeling embarrassed by how much one is eating.
    Feeling disgusted with oneself, depressed, or very guilty afterward.
    C. Marked distress regarding binge eating is present.
    D. The binge eating occurs, on average, at least once a week for 3 months.
    E. The binge eating is not associated with the recurrent use of inappropriate compensatory behavior as in bulimia nervosa and does not occur exclusively during the course of bulimia nervosa or anorexia nervosa."[5]

For me, exactly this. Life-long. Currently two months without binge, but it lurks in my mental shadows. I feel its presence, and I keep ducking around the corner trying to stay ahead of it. Thanks for finding the textbook definition, think I will add it to my profile.
  • Zombieinkpot
    Zombieinkpot Posts: 745 Member
    Options

For me, exactly this. Life-long. Currently two months without binge, but it lurks in my mental shadows. I feel its presence, and I keep ducking around the corner trying to stay ahead of it. Thanks for finding the textbook definition, think I will add it to my profile.

Congrats, that's some achievement. I'm ten days without binging today.
  • fulltimelife
    fulltimelife Posts: 125 Member
    Options

Congrats, that's some achievement. I'm ten days without binging today.

Thanks. I'm not sure how I've gone this long. It hasn't been too hard on me (I don't know why?!), so I am rolling with it as long as I can. However, I flirted with it a couple of times, and felt like a warrior for bypassing it somehow- it felt like that much of a victory! Good for you on ten days. Knowing what it is like, that too is an achievement.
  • FatStephanie15
    FatStephanie15 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Official definition:

A. Recurrent episodes of binge eating. An episode of binge eating is characterized by both of the following:

Eating, in a discrete period of time (e.g., within any 2-hour period), an amount of food that is definitely larger than what most people would eat in a similar period of time under similar circumstances.
    A sense of lack of control over eating during the episode (e.g., a feeling that one cannot stop eating or control what or how much one is eating).
    B. The binge-eating episodes are associated with three (or more) of the following:

Eating much more rapidly than normal.
    Eating until feeling uncomfortably full.
    Eating large amounts of food when not feeling physically hungry.
    Eating alone because of feeling embarrassed by how much one is eating.
    Feeling disgusted with oneself, depressed, or very guilty afterward.
    C. Marked distress regarding binge eating is present.
    D. The binge eating occurs, on average, at least once a week for 3 months.
    E. The binge eating is not associated with the recurrent use of inappropriate compensatory behavior as in bulimia nervosa and does not occur exclusively during the course of bulimia nervosa or anorexia nervosa."[5]

^^ That is pretty dead on my normal behavior. For years and years. It is without a doubt completely out of control.
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I try to always stay a bit under my calorie goal, which I easily accomplish when I workout (resting now due to injury so my workouts are less intense and shorter, burning less cals)... These days, not working out, I usually manage to stay at my goal or slightly above but still at a deficit. To me, whenever I eat above maintenance level is what I consider "bingeing".. Because it's a lot of food compared to my usual day.

Usually happens days prior to TOM...
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I have wondered the same.

I see people claim they binged but remained under their calories. And it got me confused.

• minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I think a binge is not the same as a binge eating disorder. The word gets thrown around a lot.