exhausten or sore

Options
Is it better to work past the pain tell your exhausted or just go tell your sore then stop? This is during the workout. Please and thank you for posting.

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    *till
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    When you feel pain, it might be time to stop doing whatever it is you're doing. Think of it as your body crying uncle. :)

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    What are you doing that's making you sore?
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Well, here's my 2 cents worth.

Working out till the point of exhaustion each time is a swift way to burn yourself out and quitting the routine. Yes, if you do want to do exercise that raises your heart rate to get the health benefits, go for it, but there are recommended safety guidelines of how high you should push your heart rate up and for how long.

Working out to the point of real pain - well yeah, any new exercise is going to cause you to be sore but REAL pain....I dunno, to me that signals you are ignoring your body and potentially doing harm to it. As you get fitter you will find that you will be able to up the intensity of your workouts, thus you are progressing in training your body to be stronger and more flexible.

Weight loss is achieved through diet - health is enhanced by exercise/movement. Neither should be a chore and both should be doable, repeatable, enjoyable and sustainable.
  • tenkides
    tenkides Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I am swimming every day for 80 min with flippers on.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Exhaustion while swimming kind of sounds... scary to me...
  • tenkides
    tenkides Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Can someone please answer my question?
  • chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    tenkides wrote: »

Wow, that is a really long time to swim...ESPECIALLY with flippers. Why do you swim that long in the first place? It sounds like it gets painful after so long so why keep going? Seriously, I used to be a competitive swimmer and we only broke out the flippers for fun. 80 minutes with those on sounds like torture. If you're trying to gain some sort of muscle from this you shouldn't be swimming while sore. Muscles need time to recover in order to grow. Either way, you shouldn't be swimming if you're really that sore and exhausted. That's a great way to give yourself a leg cramp and drown or something.

• Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options

I believe a few already did.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Is it better to work past the pain til you're exhausted or just go til you're sore then stop? This is during the workout. Please and thank you for posting.

I swim in a pond so it could be dangerous or at least inconvenient to get too tired. I will swim through a little pain in my back and knees. Of course I never swim to exhaustion on the way out, but gauge my stamina and let this determine when to turn around. I'd be fine with being pretty tired when I have 10 minutes or less left to go before I get back to shore but this only happens when I swim all the way to the end of the pond and back, about 60 minutes.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    chelseafxx wrote: »

Wow, that is a really long time to swim...ESPECIALLY with flippers. Why do you swim that long in the first place? It sounds like it gets painful after so long so why keep going? Seriously, I used to be a competitive swimmer and we only broke out the flippers for fun. 80 minutes with those on sounds like torture. If you're trying to gain some sort of muscle from this you shouldn't be swimming while sore. Muscles need time to recover in order to grow. Either way, you shouldn't be swimming if you're really that sore and exhausted. That's a great way to give yourself a leg cramp and drown or something.

I started swimming with flippers when I had a lot of pain in my knees and love them. They balance my arm and leg strength better than when I don't use them. (I'm using ocean flippers, not the shorter flippers I see at pools.)

I drop weight the fastest when I do long swims regularly.

I'm surprised that as a former competitive swimmer, 80 minutes sounds long to you. I had a friend who used to train for hours each day, but she was from Eastern Europe.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Stop swimming when you're tired. Stop whatever you're doing if what you're doing causes pain.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between acking/sore and pain

As a former trainer and coach i say...your are asking to much of your body!! Pain is a sign that you go or gone to far.