I have Ankylosing Spondylitis and need advice.

Options
I'm currently 154 pounds and I'm 5'10" and I'm looking to get back up to 165-175 but in muscle, I want visible muscles again! I'm taking Creatine in the mornings, and also half a cup before I workout and half after I workout. I don't eat a lot, which is a problem so I'm wondering if a protein powder supplement would benefit me? I'll be going to the gym 3 days a week, otherwise I'll be doing sit ups and push ups daily along with a 20 pound dumbbell I will also curl daily.

The problem with cardio etc is I have a disease in my spine called Ankylosing Spondylitis, I go through a lot of chronic pain and it also makes it so I can't do a lot of exercises, or for long periods of time before I start hurting too badly. So I was wondering if anyone had any tips, or any experience with working out with the disease, or something similar too it, or knows someone who has?

Any kind of advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• rahmba
    rahmba Posts: 2
    Options
    I have AS too. The absolute best thing I do for my AS is Anusara Yoga. I go religiously on the weekend at 10:30am, that's probably the best time of the day for me. I also go straight to the gym to do cardio 3 days/ week in the morning. I wake up to an alarm and go without thinking about it. Inactivity makes my AS worse, so getting a workout no matter how bad I feel is important. I experimented with different cardio to see what make my hip pain worse/better. for me, the best is spin. Actually, swimming is probably the best, but I just don't enjoy swimming right now. I also started light weights a couple of times a week. weights helps reduce osteoporosis, which is a common co-mobility with AS. I find that I can weight lifting is easier for me after the cardio workout. My yoga practice clearly improves strength as well as flexibility. no matter how bad if feel, a good yoga class always makes me feel improved. btw, my AS is worse if I put on extra body weight.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I follow the blog and workouts of a young woman with AS named Marianne Kane. Look her up at myomytv.com if you're curious. She's fantastic!
  • Chapps_LA
    Chapps_LA Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have AS and work out all of the time. I'm 52 years old and still in great shape - slim and lots of muscle. BUT ... it hasn't been easy, and I've had to learn how to modify my workout gradually over the years to accommodate either a temporary flare or a new reality in my physical life.

I used to be a competitive swimmer when I was young, and continued using it as exercise until I was around 32. I got bored of it - swimming is very solitary and isolating. And I wanted to reserve it for pure fun. Not that working out isn't fun for me.

I also love spinning, but I've learned to take that a bit easier, due to hip and knee issues. I have learned patience (finally!) and no longer have to be super-competitive and the best one in the class. My instructor knows my physical issues, so she doesn't focus on pushing me past my limits. She knows just how hard I push myself.

Recommendations:

* Walking. You can't beat it. And I'm talking fast walking where you're pushing against a goal. Set a goal for yourself and get there gradually. Maybe that's just two miles initially, but I'll bet you can do four miles in the morning, no problem, once you get used to the rhythm and get in better shape. It's the best workout that doesn't need a gym.

* Resistance training. Yes, you should do some weight resistance work. You can easily do a lot of this at home - shoulder raises are great, as are curls, shoulder presses and ordinary but effective things like push-ups and abdominal exercises. The key is to write everything down and, again, set goals. Without a goal, you'll be aimless. But you want resistance training to make your muscles, bones and joints stronger. You do NOT have to lift a ton of weight, but you should push outside of your comfort zone while maintaining *great* form ... doing is slooooowly. No swinging, no fast reps with weights. That's dangerous, particularly for people with AS.

* Cycling. If you can handle a bike, go for it. Nothing's more fun than being on a bike. Attach panniers (side baskets/bags) and use your bike for quick trips to the store, and anything where you feel you can handle the ride. SUCH good exercise for your legs. Make sure your bike seat is well padded and sprung, and lift your butt off the seat when you see rough road conditions or potholes, so that you don't jar your spine.

* Yoga. Yep, as Lupercalia (great ancient Roman holiday) said, yoga is fantastic for people with AS. Don't go too fast - do everything deliberately and concentrate on form and relaxing your muscles. You can use a towel to stretch if you can't normally touch your toes. Yoga and walking together are a killer workout.

* Nutrition. Right off, I'm going to tell you that you're potentially playing with fire by taking creatine. It's been known to place stress on the liver and kidneys, both of which may already be stressed out by the AS and by any medications you take (e.g. anti-inflammatories). I know you want the energy for your muscles, but you'd do better by ingesting real protein. If you eat meat, I'd suggest a mix of lean beef, a mix of fish (go easy on the tuna, due to mercury issues - you don't want that as your sole protein source) and legumes. If you have to supplement, there are plenty of sugar-free protein powders on the market. Just don't go crazy with the fruit juices, because that can overdose you on natural sugars.

Just eat smartly - mix up your diet but keep it lean, protein heavy and have enough carbs to ensure you have energy (just don't overdo the bread - again, too much sugar and salt). Eat bananas and apples for snacks - and cheese.

I've been really diligent about caring for my body while undergoing some of the nastiest things AS can bring. I haven't yet fused and may never fuse - the doctors have all said that I owe my mobility to my dedication to exercise. But it made sense - exercise is the only thing that could keep the spinal and hip pain at bay, and keep my guts from ruining my life. So it was self-preservation.

Set those goals, meet them, then set new and interesting ones. Record your progress, and above all ... enjoy being physical and being able to move. Enjoy life!
  • FatherOfAlex
    FatherOfAlex Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just created a group for AS. Surprised one didn't already exist. Feel free to join. I just figured it would be a good way to find and provide support. Search for "Ankylosing Spondylitis/Rheumatoid Arthritis" in groups.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I don't, but I just noticed this conversation, which might interest you. :)