200 lbs lost 6'1" 200 lbs BF ?. Lose skin or\and high BF%

Options
So I've been starving the last year and I decided I'm gonna get more calories, problem is two different body impedance devices read way different, online calculators read way too low and I can't handle the caliper properly. Anyway, I have two questions, I'm guessing I'm dealing with high BF% and some lose skin so, any BF% estimations and how bad is the lose skin situation...Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

fp4vevufeko3.jpg

Replies

• RockGutCharlie
    RockGutCharlie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    :* Shameful bump..
  • roselemonade
    roselemonade Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Working on core strength to tone your abs will bring things in a little more (won't spot reduce, but will help give definition) as will reducing bodyfat. A lot of it will be waiting, if it is mostly loose skin--it takes a while (different for every person) for loose skin to adjust to a smaller body, especially since you've lost quite a bit of weight.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    sometimes though loose skin will not bounce back(genetics and having enough elasticity in your skin plays a big part). its a wait and see approach along with working on exercise(weight lifting can help some). body fat calculators are not accurate. you would have to have a dexascan, get a hydrostatic weight testing or the other one-the name escapes me at the moment,to be more accurate. for some loose skin requires surgery,others its enough to not worry about. so give it time and see what happens. loose skin usually happens when you lose weight too quickly.But,thats not always the case either.your body fat doesnt look like its extremely high(just in the abdomen area) but it looks like you do have loose skin as well. give it time. it will either,snap back to a point or it wont.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Working on core strength to tone your abs will bring things in a little more (won't spot reduce, but will help give definition) as will reducing bodyfat. A lot of it will be waiting, if it is mostly loose skin--it takes a while (different for every person) for loose skin to adjust to a smaller body, especially since you've lost quite a bit of weight.
    +1.
    my belly was similar 8 months ago.
    trimmed down now after 30 mins 5x weekly core exercises.
    only unsightly bit hiidden by 30" waistband.
    you have done the majority of the hard work already,shaping up is as rewarding going forward.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Building muscle will help, but anything that helps will be a slower process.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    any BF% estimations and how bad is the lose skin situation..

BF seems about 15-16%. Some of that midsection is fat, some is skin. Ab exercises won't "tone" either of them. You currently have a 6-pack hidden in there. I'd follow a good, full-body strength program (Stronglifts, Westside for Skinny *kitten*.s 3, a personal trainer's plan, etc).

Got a "before" pic?
  • Horrorfox
    Horrorfox Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    It can take up to two years for skin to shrink back. If it has been longer than that, you will most likely be stuck with that extra skin. You do still have a bit of adipose tissue, and from the looks of it, you might want to consider surgery to have it removed.

• RockGutCharlie
    edited July 2015
    Options

I know is gonna take time. I feared getting worst results (googling "lose skin pictures" doesn't help) so I guess is should aim for a little peace of mind. Reduce body fat is a must, the thing is, I would love to be told you have xlbs of fat left to get rid of, so I'd put my plan set in motion accordingly and once its done I'd wait for the skin to snap back.

sometimes though loose skin will not bounce back(genetics and having enough elasticity in your skin plays a big part). its a wait and see approach along with working on exercise(weight lifting can help some). body fat calculators are not accurate. you would have to have a dexascan, get a hydrostatic weight testing or the other one-the name escapes me at the moment,to be more accurate. for some loose skin requires surgery,others its enough to not worry about. so give it time and see what happens. loose skin usually happens when you lose weight too quickly.But,thats not always the case either.your body fat doesnt look like its extremely high(just in the abdomen area) but it looks like you do have loose skin as well. give it time. it will either,snap back to a point or it wont.

:smiley: is cliffhanger your last name by any chance? My question isn't suitable for a straight answer anyway. You're right, I need to be patient and see what happens..

cw106 wrote: »
    +1.
    my belly was similar 8 months ago.
    trimmed down now after 30 mins 5x weekly core exercises.
    only unsightly bit hiidden by 30" waistband.
    you have done the majority of the hard work already,shaping up is as rewarding going forward.

But I guess you'd probably lost some fat. The funny thing is that this process is always like being at the day one, I'm thinking about how to approach the problem. I think I'm gonna go for working out harder and loosing fat at slower pace. Core exercises like yoga and pilates? Hope mine gets better too :smile:

Building muscle will help, but anything that helps will be a slower process.

Slower is fine by me as long as is better. What bothers me the most is getting to a point where I should take things slowly. I don't mind bulking while I'm waiting for the skin to bounce back (hopefully); being ripped is not realistic right now, but I would love to get to 12-13% before..

Cherimoose wrote: »

BF seems about 15-16%. Some of that midsection is fat, some is skin. Ab exercises won't "tone" either of them. You currently have a 6-pack hidden in there. I'd follow a good, full-body strength program (Stronglifts, Westside for Skinny *kitten*.s 3, a personal trainer's plan, etc).

Got a "before" pic?

I've been working with weights among other things. I'm mildly concerned about telling apart BF from skin because I don't wanna reach my old weight (around 175-180lbs) been fat and out of shape. Getting more serious about the work out and been on a 20-25% deficit is what I had in mind..
    I have pictures from 400lbs to 200lbs, but I don't think I'm ready :smiley: Would a fatty pic help?

Horrorfox wrote: »
    It can take up to two years for skin to shrink back. If it has been longer than that, you will most likely be stuck with that extra skin. You do still have a bit of adipose tissue, and from the looks of it, you might want to consider surgery to have it removed.

I gained like 220lbs in a little over two years and I've loosing (I'm still overweight and kinda fat) the last year. Hope doesn't come to surgery...

Thanks for the replies :smile:

• 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Got a "before" pic?

+1 for starting a good, solid beginner full-body strength program like Strong Lifts. Lifting will help with getting you the results you're looking for.

I'm terrible at estimating body fat percentage. If you're really interested, it might be worthwhile to see if there is a BodPod or DEXA available in your area. They run anywhere from $40-$100, but they'll give you a good idea of what your current BF% is. Some places will let you buy packages so that you can come back in 6 months or a year after you've been lifting for a while to see the effect it's had on your BF%.

ETA: I personally don't think you need to look at surgery at this point. There's so much more you can do on your own, and you look great this far! Congratulations on your 200lb loss!
  • RockGutCharlie
    Options

Got a "before" pic?

+1 for starting a good, solid beginner full-body strength program like Strong Lifts. Lifting will help with getting you the results you're looking for.

I'm terrible at estimating body fat percentage. If you're really interested, it might be worthwhile to see if there is a BodPod or DEXA available in your area. They run anywhere from $40-$100, but they'll give you a good idea of what your current BF% is. Some places will let you buy packages so that you can come back in 6 months or a year after you've been lifting for a while to see the effect it's had on your BF%.

ETA: I personally don't think you need to look at surgery at this point. There's so much more you can do on your own, and you look great this far! Congratulations on your 200lb loss!

Yeah, I've been lifting, but at home (which is not ideal) and eating like a mouse (I started at 1200-1400 kcal). The point of this is from now on doing this by the book (like 20-25% deficit and training properly). The problem is soft fat + loose skin= I get nervous. Anyway, doing things properly and being patient will be the best. Thanks!

By the way, I've just realized "lose skin", my bad :blush: