5:2

Options
Hello everyone

I'm new to MFP and doing the 5:2 anyone else doing this would love to see what other people do on their fast days and normal days feel free to add me :-) x

Replies

• wannabeskinnycat
    wannabeskinnycat Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it since September 14 an I love it. Lost over 5 stone so far and it hasn't been crazy difficult. I struggled the first few weeks with headaches etc but now I want to eat like this forever.

My 500's are generally tons of fruit infused water all day with boiled chicken and salad for evening meal. My other days are up to 1600. I'm now eating by macros and I've found it so easy.

I've added you x
  • pussdarkus
    pussdarkus Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new to 5:2 just started this week, 2 fast days done, and not too bad so far :)
  • smontes16
    smontes16 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    What is 5:2?
  • naxeea
    naxeea Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    So this is my month 2 of 5:2 diet and results are awesome.I fast 2 days a week and eat 500 cal on my fast days,it's upto you if you want to save it for one meal or spread it throughout your day.Rest of the 5 days you eat normal.I'm working out 3/week.I don't feel hungry my job fast days anymore.First week or two will be a little difficult but will get easy with each week.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    smontes16 wrote: »
    What is 5:2?

5:2 is a form of intermittent fasting plan. It's another method of creating a deficit. 5 days at one calorie level, 2 days at a very low calorie level.

There are some more elaborate versions of 5:2 but there's no magic to this way of doing things, and it's not necessarily more effective than other plans.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    ProjectSYD wrote: »
    You shouldn't be doing stupid diet fads. People who do those things are misinformed. Just burn more calories than you consume and don't think there's some miracle.

Man this thread deserves a face palm.

Do you even know what 5:2 is???

All forms of intermittent fasting works for many people.

• Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be doing stupid diet fads. People who do those things are misinformed. Just burn more calories than you consume and don't think there's some miracle.

You are the one who is misinformed uninformed.
    5.2 is an accepted way of eating at a deficit, which means in plain English that it can be a way to burn more calories than a person takes in....just like any other way to achieve a deficit . For some people it works, for others not so much.....just like everything else. It's nothing special, it's not magic, it is not a fad; it is just one of the several ways to achieve a caloric deficit
    For the last 2 years and 3 month it has worked well for me and so far I have lost 65 pounds....a planned .5 pounds a week, right on schedule.

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Ang108 wrote: »
    You shouldn't be doing stupid diet fads. People who do those things are misinformed.Just butn more calories than you consume and don't think there's some miracle.

5.2 is an accepted way of eating at a deficit, which means in plain English that it can be a way to burn more calories than a person takes in....just like any other way to achieve a deficit . For some people it works, for others not so much.....just like everything else. It's nothing special, it's not magic, it is not a fad; it is just one of the several ways to achieve a caloric deficit
    For the last 2 years and 3 month it has worked well for me and so far I have lost 65 pounds....a planned .5 pounds a week, right on schedule.

I'm informed, I understand how it works. I understand your views inthe subject but my stance stays the same. I've tried things like this, you can't maintain eating like that forever. I've lost 16 lbs in a month just keeping track of what I eat and eating regularily. I understand portion sizes and can confidently eat enough to maintain my weight if I wanted (but I don't)

I don't think these fasting diets do that. But like I said, this is my opinion.

Please refrain from making personal attacks towards other users note forum as it's against the ToS. I did not make any assumptions that you were uninformed an I'd appreciate it if you showed me the same courtesy.

My stance is the same though, this thread deserves a face palm.

Lolwut?
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

I'm informed, I understand how it works. I understand your views inthe subject but my stance stays the same. I've tried things like this, you can't maintain eating like that forever. I've lost 16 lbs in a month just keeping track of what I eat and eating regularily. I understand portion sizes and can confidently eat enough to maintain my weight if I wanted (but I don't)

Please refrain from making personal attacks towards other users note forum as it's against the ToS. I did not make any assumptions that you were uninformed an I'd appreciate it if you showed me the same courtesy.

Then you might want to preface things like this comment "It doesn't teach you how to eat properly. Sure you might lose weight but you can't live the rest of your life like that." ... with "I THINK" or "I FEEL". 5:2 is very much an accepted form of creating a caloric deficit, as are things like 16:8 and 14:10 (the latter of which I tend to gravitate towards naturally myself). Just because it's not your speed doesn't make it face palm worthy.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    You shouldn't be doing stupid diet fads. People who do those things are misinformed.Just butn more calories than you consume and don't think there's some miracle.

Lolwut?

Basically saying I have the same information as they do but came to a different conclusion. I didn't disagree with the diet because of being misinformed I disagreed with it for my own reasons.

I'm not saying that the diet is wrong or bad just that I don't agree with it or any diets like it for that matter. I gave my reasoning before as to why I disagree and that is why. There's more reasons behind it but I don't feel like double checking facts tonight so I left that out of my reasoning.

Umm...wut?

tumblr_n2ozdlip721r0b4wzo1_500.gif
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

Then you might want to preface things like this comment "It doesn't teach you how to eat properly. Sure you might lose weight but you can't live the rest of your life like that." ... with "I THINK" or "I FEEL". 5:2 is very much an accepted form of creating a caloric deficit, as are things like 16:8 and 14:10 (the latter of which I tend to gravitate towards naturally myself). Just because it's not your speed doesn't make it face palm worthy.

I understand the concept. And if it makes you more comfortable in the future I will make sure to add "I thinks" to my post.

The work was once believed to be flat, it was widely accepted. We now know it to be round. However, recent science has suggested it may be both flat and round. (Check out Vsauce on youtube for the scientific explanation)

My issue with fasting is when you fast you lower your metabolic rate and so even though you're creating a deficit you don't lose as much as you would normally throughout a day. Also when you start eating again you're body needs time to adjust and you may gain the weight back. When you're in starvation mode your body typically will eat away at muscle before fat which is also not a good thing.
    http://www.m.webmd.com/diet/fasting

If you feel that strongly about the diet then by all means continue to do it. You're not in the wrong for doing it I'm just trying to shed some light on some of the potential dangers with these kinds of things

And face palm worthiness is subjected to the person giving the face palm. I strongly think any diets involving some trick to lose weight deserve a face palm.

So you think that in 1 day you will lower your metabolic rate? In 1 day you think that you will go into starvation mode and start eating your muscles?

Okay...

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    My issue with fasting is when you fast you lower your metabolic rate and so even though you're creating a deficit you don't lose as much as you would normally throughout a day. Also when you start eating again you're body needs time to adjust and you may gain the weight back. When you're in starvation mode your body typically will eat away at muscle before fat which is also not a good thing.
    http://www.m.webmd.com/diet/fasting

If you feel that strongly about the diet then by all means continue to do it. You're not in the wrong for doing it I'm just trying to shed some light on some of the potential dangers with these kinds of things

And face palm worthiness is subjected to the person giving the face palm. I strongly think any diets involving some trick to lose weight deserve a face palm.

The webmd link you posted warns against long term fasts. A 5:2 IF plan alternates 5 days of normal level eating with 2 days of low calorie (usually around 500) eating. It is not nearly long enough to be dangerous to someone who is metabolically normal.

Also, starvation mode as you are describing just does not happen.