Crunches! Do they work?

hi! I've been doing crunches every day, but someone told me I'm wasting my time and crunches/sit ups do nothing. It was the NHS website that had the exercises to do, that's why I did them! Can someone shed some light please and perhaps give me an alternative if they're no good? Thank you anyone who reads this x

Replies

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    edited July 2015
    Crunches do something: strenghten ab muscles.
    However, you can't spot reduce fat. If you want a tighter stomach you need to increase your overall body fat percentage.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach

ETA: should be decrease, not increase.
  • emmanuelperla
    emmanuelperla Posts: 11 Member
    If you already have a six pack they can benifit you.i wouldnt spend my time on crunches or sit ups,they are other work outs that can burn belly fat and create a six pack that are very effective you can check out sixpackshorcuts on youtube his name is Mike very helpful channel hope i was a help :)
  • LADYDEBORAH1984
    LADYDEBORAH1984 Posts: 64 Member
    AsIsmile do you mean I need to decrease overall body fat? Thanks Emmanuel I will go on you tube, I'm losing weight too but want to tighten up a bit too (:
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    edited July 2015
    Not a pointless exercise at all but like aslsmile said, you can't spot reduce. You have to lower your body fat percentage and that happens when you eat at a deficit. Don't listen to anyone who says this exercise will reduce bellyfat, etc. It's bs. Just find an exercise program that works for you and count your calories. The diet is the most important thing to help you shape your body otherwise the exercises are pointless..
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    edited July 2015
    AsIsmile do you mean I need to decrease overall body fat? Thanks Emmanuel I will go on you tube, I'm losing weight too but want to tighten up a bit too (:

Oops, yes. Typo. Ofcourse decrease.
    Not a pointless exercise at all but like aslsmile said, you can't spot reduce. You have to lower your body fat percentage and that happens when you eat at a deficit. Don't listen to anyone who says this exercise will reduce bellyfat, etc. It's bs. Just find an exercise program that works for you and count your calories..

This is true.
    Anyway, hope you read the post from the link. It should have explained everything.

• panchakshara
    panchakshara Posts: 37 Member
    planks are better for strengthening your core than crunches, as it works both front and back and is more functional. crunches aren't bad though. there are so many variations on crunch type exercises as well - bicycles, pike ups, reverse crunches, side crunches, weighted crunches.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    If you want to strengthen your core, start deadlifting and squatting.

You'll thank me later.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    I find planks and variations (eg side planks) more effective for strengthening my core. Crunches have their place but I get more out of exercises like planks, weighted Russian Twists, and free weights.
  • LADYDEBORAH1984
    LADYDEBORAH1984 Posts: 64 Member
    I will have to look these things up. I am eating at a defecit at the moment to reduce my fat. Need to get to gym but waiting for my induction.