my diet doesn't seem to be working

Options
I don't seem to be loosing any weight, I've been on a diet for a few weeks now and I don't see any benefits, I know it's not going to happen straight away but surely I should of seen something, has anyone got any information please?

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? What are your stats (height, weight, age, activity level)? Do you weigh your food? Can you open your dairy?
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    • Are you weighing your foods with an electric scale?
    • Are you weighing your foods accurately? i.e. using grams instead of cups
    • How are you obtaining your calorie burns? MFP, HRM or machines?

OP, how many calories are you eating daily and are you eating your exercise calories back?
  • cookson22
    cookson22 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Im weighing my foods but most of the time I don't reach my target, sometimes I'm quite a lot under my calorie count?
  • DemoraFairy
    Options
    Do you eat back exercise calories? Can you open your diary? Being under your calorie count is bad for various reasons, but won't stop you losing weight.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Go watch secret eaters on 4OD or YouTube. Then decide if you're being totally honest with yourself.
    If it's not that, your overestimating what you're burning or not logging accurately enough. Possibly both. You can do this.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    cookson22 wrote: »
    Im weighing my foods but most of the time I don't reach my target, sometimes I'm quite a lot under my calorie count?

You seemed to avoid one of my questions, how many calories are you eating daily?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i would bet you are eating more than you think you are.
  • vmccourt
    vmccourt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I can commensurate with you. I have been on the site for over a month now and have lost only .8 of a pound. I eat back my exercise calories, but manage to stay around 1300 calories a day. I eat only organic foods, no breads, rice of any kind, pasta or the like. My dairy is limited to splash of milk in a cup of coffee in the morning. I drink my water quota daily, and do a 3 mile run/walk three days a week combined with free weight lifting. I also do Vinyasa yoga three days as well. I am quite active. I am not losing inches, in fact my clothes are tighter. I feel like I should weigh about 50 pounds instead of the 155 I weigh at 5'5". Help!
  • DemoraFairy
    edited July 2015
    Options
    vmccourt wrote: »
    I can commensurate with you. I have been on the site for over a month now and have lost only .8 of a pound. I eat back my exercise calories, but manage to stay around 1300 calories a day. I eat only organic foods, no breads, rice of any kind, pasta or the like. My dairy is limited to splash of milk in a cup of coffee in the morning. I drink my water quota daily, and do a 3 mile run/walk three days a week combined with free weight lifting. I also do Vinyasa yoga three days as well. I am quite active. I am not losing inches, in fact my clothes are tighter. I feel like I should weigh about 50 pounds instead of the 155 I weigh at 5'5". Help!

Organic foods, breads, rice, pasta, milk - none of these have an effect on weight loss. All that matters is calories.

Same questions to you as the OP: do you weigh everything? Can you open your diary?
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I am not losing inches, in fact my clothes are tighter. I feel like I should weigh about 50 pounds instead of the 155 I weigh at 5'5". Help!

If you're not losing weight and your clothes are getting tighter, then you are probably eating more than you think you are. Have you been logging everything you eat?
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options

As @DemoraFairy said, eating organic food has no affect on weight loss. It's just more expensive in my eyes. Your body doesn't tell the difference between an organic chicken breast and a non-organic chicken breast. It just sees the macronutrients.
    • Are you weighing your foods with an electric scale?
    • Are you weighing your foods accurately? i.e. using grams instead of cups
    • How are you obtaining your calorie burns? MFP, HRM or machines?

Answer these questions and we can get you on track.
  • cookson22
    Options
    I am 5'5 and weigh 12 stone 6 pounds, I stick to 1400 calories a day with light exercise
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    cookson22 wrote: »
    I am 5'5 and weigh 12 stone 6 pounds, I stick to 1400 calories a day with light exercise

1500 calories is the RDA minimum for a male. Eat more than 1400.
  • Ioras88
    Ioras88 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Quick question:
    WHERE are you gaining 'inches'? Where do your clothes fit tighter? At your arms? Thighs?
    Since you're a man:
    Do you have an opportunity to get your body fat percentage and muscle mass checked? Men usually build up muscle quite fast so the reason why you won't see much difference on your scale (now, at the beginning), could be - as weird as it sounds - that you're simply building up muscle faster than you're losing fat.

So yeah, my best idea is that your muscle mass is growing. Kind of an ideal situation since developed muscles are always nice to have.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Ioras88 wrote: »
    Quick question:
    WHERE are you gaining 'inches'? Where do your clothes fit tighter? At your arms? Thighs?
    Since you're a man:
    Do you have an opportunity to get your body fat percentage and muscle mass checked? Men usually build up muscle quite fast so the reason why you won't see much difference on your scale (now, at the beginning), could be - as weird as it sounds - that you're simply building up muscle faster than you're losing fat.

So yeah, my best idea is that your muscle mass is growing. Kind of an ideal situation since developed muscles are always nice to have.

He has only been trying to lose weight for a few weeks...he says he is only eating 1400 calories...he only does light exercise.

Someone is not going to build up muscle mass faster than they are losing fat under those conditions.

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    How long have you been logging? Have you lost any weight at all or are you just not losing what you thought you would?

Can you open your diary?
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Are you logging the instant you eat, too? :) That matters! People really do forget what they eat.
  • cookson22
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    Ioras88 wrote: »
    Quick question:
    Since you're a man:

He has only been trying to lose weight for a few weeks...he says he is only eating 1400 calories...he only does light exercise.

Someone is not going to build up muscle mass faster than they are losing fat under those conditions.

I think you're getting me and another guy rolled into one?