issues u face being obese ??

Options
Share ur experiences regarding general attitude of people towards obese fellows and how does it effected u and encouraged u to loose weight .. !!

Replies

• jasminerz2015
    jasminerz2015 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Like for me.. my mum is the best critic for me .. thou I don't think I m that fat but she always ask me to control my diet and eat less or else I will ruin my looks .. might look older and then who z going to marry me :D
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Honestly I just want my damn pants to stop falling down..I've come to realize that with how big I am, my back goes straight into my butt, with no curve to hold on to pants, so I'm constantly pulling them up...Can't wait :P
  • catharinamkotze
    catharinamkotze Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I couldn't skydive on my honeymoon because I didn't meet the weight limit.
    Now I am already 12kg below that limit.
    Second honeymoon!
  • jasminerz2015
    Options
    Honestly I just want my damn pants to stop falling down..I've come to realize that with how big I am, my back goes straight into my butt, with no curve to hold on to pants, so I'm constantly pulling them up...Can't wait :P

This is something new for me .. holding on pents :wink: thanx for sharing lol
  • jasminerz2015
    Options
    I couldn't skydive on my honeymoon because I didn't meet the weight limit.
    Now I am already 12kg below that limit.
    Second honeymoon!

I must say u look really pretty now.. I wonder how awsume u might look after ur weight loss.. that will b complete transformation for u .. good luck :)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Like for me.. my mum is the best critic for me .. thou I don't think I m that fat but she always ask me to control my diet and eat less or else I will ruin my looks .. might look older and then who z going to marry me :D

You don't look obese to me.

Your mum sounds quite mean.

Do you live somewhere where parents arrange marriages for their daughters? Not sure if there is a cultural difference here.
  • jasminerz2015
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

You don't look obese to me.

Your mum sounds quite mean.

Do you live somewhere where parents arrange marriages for their daughters? Not sure if there is a cultural difference here.

Yes.. I live in Pakistan .. but for me its upto me .. since I m single so I might go for arrange.. let's see :)
  • extacymoon
    extacymoon Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    My mom is my worst critic to. No matter what I do or how much I lose she is constantly nagging me about my weight or the way I eat. She will say I eat too much and the next time tell me I am not eating enough. I try to just ignore it.
  • ljmcf
    ljmcf Posts: 98 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I think I'm my own worse critic...it affects my social life. I get invited to parties/nights out and I make excuses not to go because I have no confidence in myself (my profile photo is me when I was a good bit slimmer - it's my motivation lol)
  • jasminerz2015
    Options
    extacymoon wrote: »
    My mom is my worst critic to. No matter what I do or how much I lose she is constantly nagging me about my weight or the way I eat. She will say I eat too much and the next time tell me I am not eating enough. I try to just ignore it.

V r in the same boat girl :D
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    extacymoon wrote: »

V r in the same boat girl :D

Mothers of every traditional society ever.

Except BOYS can usually never be too fat....
  • jasminerz2015
    Options
    ljmcf wrote: »
    I think I'm my own worse critic...it affects my social lift. I get invited to parties/nights out and I make excuses not to go because I have no confidence in myself (my profile photo is me when I was a good bit slimmer - it's my motivation lol)

Life goes on girl.. and future is soo unpredictable .. u r working hard towards ur goal of loosing weight .. that's more then enough.. enjoy
  • jasminerz2015
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »

That makes me sad. I'd spend time focusing on that...the idea that you have less value and that no one would want to love/marry you if you are overweight.

Harsh Reality Thou.. Media Influencing EveryOne !!!
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »

That makes me sad. I'd spend time focusing on that...the idea that you have less value and that no one would want to love/marry you if you are overweight.

Harsh Reality Thou.. Media Influencing EveryOne !!!

Any man would be lucky to have you. loose weight for yourself. X
  • StacyJ8888
    StacyJ8888 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I grew up hearing the exact same thing from both of my parents (middle class, white Americans, dad from the mid-west, mom from New England...it's not a cultural thing, it's just an abusive person thing) "No one will want you if you are fat" , "You will never get married", "., "It's all over after the first stretch mark"... "We will buy you nicer clothes if you lose the weight"-All of that started when I was around 7 or 8. It's abusive. As a result of all the "programming" I put up with a lot of crap from people who were also awful human beings. Ended up in an abusive marriage because I thought I was lucky to find someone to love me. I had lost the weight in my early 20's there was a slight change in how the general public treated me, people would stop to let me cross, sales clerk would come out of nowhere to offer help instead of me having to hunt them down, I got a promotion at a plus sized clothing company, my mother continued to remind me I was fat and introduced me as formerly fat, my dad was dying from cancer at the time so he died happy that I was finally thin, the other awful people in my life just got really mean/put me in dangerous situations. Losing 160 pounds was not as magical as everyone made it out to be the "protective layers" eventually came back.

I have better people around me now, ended up back at my mom's house after divorcing the abuser but I have a better filter in place for her nonsense while I finish nursing school.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    In certain societies, mothers are almost compulsive feeders of their children and constantly worry that they're too thin...until their daughters grow up to marriagable age, when suddenly if they did get chubby, they're far too fat. (At the same time, they can't help but try to make them eat more at the dinner table.) It's exasperating but not necessarily abusive IN THOSE CULTURES.

My friends who grew up in those cultures will also greet me with, "Oh, you've gotten SO FAT!" Yes, thank you, I have. But it's not rude there to observe this. It's just not. It shows they pay attention to what you look like and they care.

(Margaret Cho has a hysterical routine about greeting people with weight in modern Asia.)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I haven't actually noticed any difference in the way people react to me now that I've lost weight.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Women often say they want to be loved as they are, and that is often said by women a bit heavy.

But....

Most women won't talk to fat guys

Reality

It is a different world after losing 125 lbs. I quietly note and observe it. Never say anything, but it is a huge difference.

Nobody wants a fat person it seems. Harsh but aside of talking with another fat person it feels like being a social outcast.

It has made me more thankful for the couple of people at the gym that helped me when I got started on this long road. I try and encourage new people at the gym now.

I lost weight for me. And that was enough. The other social interaction changes are there too. Sometimes that feels nice although I know how superficial it is.