I need help

Options
Mdamra
Mdamra Posts: 26 Member
I am generally not a fit person, and have just recently begun my fitness journey. I am looking for a lean physique; defined abs and muscular glutes/legs. I started a low carb diet on June and have run 40 miles from June 16th till now which is a big deal for me (cardio 6 days a week) and do beginner level ab workouts (also 6 days a week) I don't know if my diet choice is appropriate for me, should I go on a low calorie diet or is low carbs ok? Any advice on reaching my goal physique? When it comes to nutrition and fitness I could really use the help.

Replies

• iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Hi, couple of questions: Male or female. Do you need to lose weight or just toning for muscle definition.
    If you are just looking at abs and legs that might look a bit odd in the upper body section, so maybe go for a whole gym-routine as well, aiming for high-intensity (a lot of repetitions) rather than heavy weights
  • Mdamra
    Options
    Hi I'm a female, I've lost 7 pounds so far so I think I just need to start toning. I would love for some workout suggestions, I do cardio 6 days a week but I jog long distance rather than high intensity, should I change that? I honestly don't know what else to do
  • Mdamra
    Options
    iofred wrote: »
    Hi, couple of questions: Male or female. Do you need to lose weight or just toning for muscle definition.
    If you are just looking at abs and legs that might look a bit odd in the upper body section, so maybe go for a whole gym-routine as well, aiming for high-intensity (a lot of repetitions) rather than heavy weights
    Sorry I don't know if I need to quote you for you to get a notification I just downloaded this app, my response is above :)

• rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Hi, From what I have learned on mfp Try weightlifting. There are many posts on here about toning and building muscles. I really though some of the pros would of posted to you by now they are very helpful. May be b.c it is in "getting started". Check out general and fitness. There is an awesome recent posting now about recomp.
    Maybe try the search feature (it can be glitch)
    strong lifts, women heavy lifting, are a few routines I know about.
    Building muscle takes above maintenance cal., increase protein, and progressively heavier weightlifting. Some recommend recomp, eat at maintenance cal. heavy weight lifting routine.

tldr...... eat at maintenance, lift heavy.

• iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    High, the high intensity I mentioned is based on weight workouts, but is contradicting the above post from @rushfive In the end it is up to you, but if you already go to the gym for the cardio adding some weights training will definitely help with the toning/sculpting. I am obviously not the expert on this, and there are probably a lot of posts which are much more useful, but if needed I am happy to provide you with a workout routine
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat#latest

Found it.... this is a good read.
    Also iofred way is good too.... maybe better for you since you seem to enjoy the cardio. HIIT. It all depends on what your goals are... Good Luck.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ^^^ Great advice regarding recomp. Check out this thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
    I don’t know your stats (current height/weight), but a recomp is basically eating at maintenance while following a progressive heavy lifting program, so that you slowly build a bit of muscle while losing a bit of fat.

ETA: Rushfive beat me to it :smile:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Are you eating at a deficit?
  • Mdamra
    Options
    No I eat every 3 hours as long as I don't go over my carb limit

• Mdamra
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    ^^^ Great advice regarding recomp. Check out this thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
    I don’t know your stats (current height/weight), but a recomp is basically eating at maintenance while following a progressive heavy lifting program, so that you slowly build a bit of muscle while losing a bit of fat.

ETA: Rushfive beat me to it :smile:

Thank you!
  • Mdamra
    Options
    rushfive wrote: »
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat#latest

Found it.... this is a good read.
    Also iofred way is good too.... maybe better for you since you seem to enjoy the cardio. HIIT. It all depends on what your goals are... Good Luck.

Thank you so much!!
  • Mdamra
    Options
    iofred wrote: »
    High, the high intensity I mentioned is based on weight workouts, but is contradicting the above post from @rushfive In the end it is up to you, but if you already go to the gym for the cardio adding some weights training will definitely help with the toning/sculpting. I am obviously not the expert on this, and there are probably a lot of posts which are much more useful, but if needed I am happy to provide you with a workout routine

Thank you so much! I would definetly appreciate a workout routine:)
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Mdamra wrote: »

Then you're not going to be able to get any leaner
  • Mdamra
    Options

Why not? I eat under 30 carbs a day. I'm also currently fasting from sunrise to sundown this month while maintaining my excercise.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Why not? I eat under 30 carbs a day. I'm also currently fasting from sunrise to sundown this month while maintaining my excercise.

Because you need a calorie deficit to lose fat
  • Mdamra
    Options

Because you need a calorie deficit to lose fat

So do you think I should quit my current diet and go on a low calorie diet or do both?

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Let's take a step back. What's your goal? When you look at yourself in the mirror, what do you wish was different?
  • Mdamra
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Let's take a step back. What's your goal? When you look at yourself in the mirror, what do you wish was different?

I have a generally flat stomach but I want to be fit not thin, I want my abs to be defined. I don't have very much muscle mass in my body and I want that to change. I want to tone my arms, glutes, legs, anything to make my body muscular rather than just at a healthy weight. I'm 5"3 and 108 lbs

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

I have a generally flat stomach but I want to be fit not thin, I want my abs to be defined. I don't have very much muscle mass in my body and I want that to change. I want to tone my arms, glutes, legs, anything to make my body muscular rather than just at a healthy weight. I'm 5"3 and 108 lbs
    What is your Body Fat % right now?
  • Mdamra
    Options

What is your Body Fat % right now?

I haven't measured it recently (since 2 years) but this app said it thinks 21%