Body-fat Percentage Calculators?

Options
So I've been on this determined mission lately to get myself to about 12-15% bodyfat and basically just transform my body from what I am to what I want to be.
Now I don't have the money to get my bodyfat percentage calculated accurately, so I have had to just settle for online calculators, they're a bit off.. I get this, but as long as I have a rough estimate. I'm happy!

I found a bodyfat calculator on one site and it told me I was 25% bodyfat.
I thought, looking at pictures of this approx percentage, okay that's understandable.
But then today I used that calculator again, and it didn't budge, 25% bodyfat.
So I decided to try another on a different site which asked for more info, 16% bodyfat, bwahahaha oh online calculator.. you're so cute.
And another,
And another and another.. all ranging from 15% to 17%, um no.

Again, yes these aren't insanely accurate, but has anyone used an online calculator that works really well for them?

Either I'm in serious denial, or the Internet is trying to be funny.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Lol why would you even use a calculator

They have no way of finding your body fat. One person could be 180lb with a 30% body fat, and another 180lb person could have a 13% body fat.

Buy a pair of body fat calipers...
  • KirstenAFerreira
    KirstenAFerreira Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Lol why would you even use a calculator

They have no way of finding your body fat. One person could be 180lb with a 30% body fat, and another 180lb person could have a 13% body fat.

Buy a pair of body fat calipers...

'tis a plan buut.. Although they are super cheap, I don't really have money to spare, toddlers tend to ensure every cent you have is spent! so honestly online calculators was just an insanely rough method I was using for the time being :)
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The thing is, online calculators, Body fat scales and even calipers don't measure body fat accurately.
    I've been anything from 22-30% using them. :|
    Only a Bod pod type machine can accurately measure body fat (and one session is pretty costly).
    There were a couple of forum members on here who had a thead where you could post pics and have them guess your body fat...but i think the thread is closed now.
    Maybe you could post pics and the more knowledgable people on here could advise you!
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Body fat calculators aren’t very accurate. Also, why do you want to hit 12-15% bf as a female? That’s extremely low. As a rough idea:
    female-body-fat-percentage-pictures.jpg

From one of those websites:
    Body Fat Percentage Women 10-12%
    This is an extremely low body fat level typically attained by female bodybuilders. Essential fat for women is round 8-10% compared to 2% for men. Why the difference? Women have more fat in breast tissue and the area surrounding the uterus. This level of body fat is not considered safe, or healthy for women who will be unable to menstruate. Striations of muscle, separation between muscles, clear vascularity are all noticeable at this level.

Body Fat Percentage Women 15-17%
    This is still considered a very low body fat for women, which is similar to the 6-7% body fat for range men. Many bikini and fitness models will reach this body fat level and some may not be able to menstruate. Muscle definition in the abs, legs, arms, and shoulders is apparent, there is some vascularity and some separation between muscles. Hips, buttocks, and thighs generally have a little less shape because of the low body fat.

Anyway, I second the above: it’s difficult to get an accurate estimate, and calculators really don’t do a very good job. I’d recommend you read through these websites (1,2,3) that have photos of the various levels of body fat and some information about them. I have toyed with this calculator in the past, but I don’t expect much precision from it.

In my opinion, you’d be better off focusing on doing some resistance training (which you can do at home, a gym is not obligatory) to maintain/build muscle.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I have a scale that is surprisingly accurate. It says I'm 20.3% body fat, and when I did the water density test, I was actually 20.71%. An online calculator showed is was 21.57%.

I wouldn't worry about a number, unless its the weight of your dumbbells.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    Options
    My_Butt wrote: »
    I have a scale that is surprisingly accurate.
    This is very unique.
    What Scales do you have?

• KirstenAFerreira
    Options
    The thing is, online calculators, Body fat scales and even calipers don't measure body fat accurately.
    Only a Bod pod type machine can accurately measure body fat (and one session is pretty costly).
    There were a couple of forum members on here who had a thead where you could post pics and have them guess your body fat...but i think the thread is closed now.
    Maybe you could post pics and the more knowledgable people on here could advise you!

Thank you for your reply!
    Argh I guess the only real option is to get it checked properly OR not worry about it.
    My husband suggested I just get to where I want to be, I was kind of counting on body fat percentage as some manner of motivation or 'idea', because I am so so terrible at being happy with myself! I'm one of those women who look in the mirror and see themselves with added weight x10!
    This is probably something I should work on!
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Thank you for your reply!
    Argh I guess the only real option is to get it checked properly OR not worry about it.
    My husband suggested I just get to where I want to be, I was kind of counting on body fat percentage as some manner of motivation or 'idea', because I am so so terrible at being happy with myself! I'm one of those women who look in the mirror and see themselves with added weight x10!
    This is probably something I should work on!

I reckon you will be fine with body fat calipers.
  • KirstenAFerreira
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    Body fat calculators aren’t very accurate. Also, why do you want to hit 12-15% bf as a female? That’s extremely low. As a rough idea:
    female-body-fat-percentage-pictures.jpg

From one of those websites:
    Body Fat Percentage Women 10-12%
    This is an extremely low body fat level typically attained by female bodybuilders. Essential fat for women is round 8-10% compared to 2% for men. Why the difference? Women have more fat in breast tissue and the area surrounding the uterus. This level of body fat is not considered safe, or healthy for women who will be unable to menstruate. Striations of muscle, separation between muscles, clear vascularity are all noticeable at this level.

Body Fat Percentage Women 15-17%
    This is still considered a very low body fat for women, which is similar to the 6-7% body fat for range men. Many bikini and fitness models will reach this body fat level and some may not be able to menstruate. Muscle definition in the abs, legs, arms, and shoulders is apparent, there is some vascularity and some separation between muscles. Hips, buttocks, and thighs generally have a little less shape because of the low body fat.

Anyway, I second the above: it’s difficult to get an accurate estimate, and calculators really don’t do a very good job. I’d recommend you read through these websites (1,2,3) that have photos of the various levels of body fat and some information about them. I have toyed with this calculator in the past, but I don’t expect much precision from it.

In my opinion, you’d be better off focusing on doing some resistance training (which you can do at home, a gym is not obligatory) to maintain/build muscle.

Thank you for your reply :)
    The funny thing is that I looked through numerous body fat pictures and 12-15 looked less like they do in the pictures here :)
    I'll take a read through the links, thank you!
    Basically I'd love to be how 18% looks here.
    as I mentioned in my previous comment, my husband just said, rather just focus on getting there than worrying about body fat percentage and whatnot, so I'll have to do just that :)

Currently I go for a jog or very brisk walk (4.2km) in the mornings (about 30-50 minutes depending), I then do Jillian Michaels Killer Buns & Thighs, awhile later I do strength training (We have a home gym), I alternate between lower and upper body with each day, for about 45-60 minutes, and finally Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 followed by the same walk I do in the morning. I just started this this week, I am 5'6" and 143lbs :)

To be honest I really just want to tighten up my body and build a decent amount of muscle.
    I'm no fitness expert so I have no idea whether I'm on the right track :) but at least I have certainly figured out one solution, to not fret about percentages and whatnot :/

• KirstenAFerreira
    edited July 2015
    Options
  • KirstenAFerreira
    Options
    My_Butt wrote: »
    I have a scale that is surprisingly accurate. It says I'm 20.3% body fat, and when I did the water density test, I was actually 20.71%. An online calculator showed is was 21.57%.

I wouldn't worry about a number, unless its the weight of your dumbbells.

Thank you! You're totally right!
    I'm sorry to maybe be weird. I saw on your profile you're obsessed with the Insanity workout! I've been eyeing it :)
    Is it any good?? (must be!)
  • Emilia777
    Options
    It sounds like you’re doing all the right things :smile: I am personally a huge fan of strength training for shaping up our bodies, and I know where you’re coming from - I went past my original goal weight and definitely wasn’t that happy with how I looked. Still squishy and stuff. I since made weight lifting my main fitness goal and plan on keeping up with it until I get some nice muscle and such.

If you’re already in your healthy weight range (which it sounds like you are), maybe a recomp is the thing for you. That’s when you very slowly build muscle while losing fat by eating at maintenance and lifting heavy weights as per a progressive lifting program. Check out this thread talking about it to see if it’s your thing: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

Regardless of where you are, I’d recommend you look into a progressive lifting program, if you aren’t on one already (I don’t know what your strength training entails). Strong lifts 5x5, Starting Strength, Strong Curves are all good ones. Hope this helps!
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Don't use body fat percent as a goal if you don't have a way to measure it accurately available. That is the same as having a goal weight, but never stepping on a scale. Work towards your goal, but goals have to be measurable in order to be successful at them. :)

Keep measuring to see progress, take pics and look at those to compare, if your eyes can't be trusted. It is easier to see progress when you have the pics side by side. And listen to your husband, he sounds smart. ;)
  • KirstenAFerreira
    Options
    It sounds like you’re doing all the right things :smile: I am personally a huge fan of strength training for shaping up our bodies, and I know where you’re coming from - I went past my original goal weight and definitely wasn’t that happy with how I looked. Still squishy and stuff. I since made weight lifting my main fitness goal and plan on keeping up with it until I get some nice muscle and such.

If you’re already in your healthy weight range (which it sounds like you are), maybe a recomp is the thing for you. That’s when you very slowly build muscle while losing fat by eating at maintenance and lifting heavy weights as per a progressive lifting program. Check out this thread talking about it to see if it’s your thing: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

Regardless of where you are, I’d recommend you look into a progressive lifting program, if you aren’t on one already (I don’t know what your strength training entails). Strong lifts 5x5, Starting Strength, Strong Curves are all good ones. Hope this helps!

Thank you again for your reply!
    Back in December my husband went on a strength training mission, he helped me lift a bit and showed me how to do it, and I fell in love!
    Squishiness bleh!

A recomp actually sounds pretty awesome!

I've only started strength training again this week, I found a post on bodybuilding.com that contains these....
    LOWER BODY
    Barbell Squat
    Barbell Deadlift
    Dumbbell Lunges
    Good Mornings
    Split Squat
    UPPER BODY HORIZONTAL PUSHING
    Pushups
    Dumbbell Bench Press
    Barbell Bench Press
    Incline Bench Press
    UPPER BODY VERTICAL PRESSING
    Military Press
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press
    Handstand Pushups
    UPPER BODY VERTICAL PULLING
    Chin-Ups
    Pullups
    Lat Pulldowns
    UPPER BODY HORIZONTAL PULLING
    One-Arm Dumbbell Rows
    Seated Cable Rows
    Bent Over Barbell Rows
    CORE EXERCISES
    Planks
    Ab Roller
    Hanging Leg Raises

Sadly I can't do the Ab Roller, Hanging Leg Raises, Chin ups, Pull ups, Lat Pull downs and Seated Cable Rows due to not having the equipment .. The handstand pushup thingy is, however impossible! I was amazed I could do a handstand, but being awesome in handstand position? Bwahha.. no.

Maybe one day :) I'd love to be that strong.

But I will definitely look into those programs!!!

Thank you so much for your advice! Youve helped me a great deal :)
  • KirstenAFerreira
    Options
    mirrim52 wrote: »
    Don't use body fat percent as a goal if you don't have a way to measure it accurately available. That is the same as having a goal weight, but never stepping on a scale. Work towards your goal, but goals have to be measurable in order to be successful at them. :)

Keep measuring to see progress, take pics and look at those to compare, if your eyes can't be trusted. It is easier to see progress when you have the pics side by side. And listen to your husband, he sounds smart. ;)

You're totally right :)
    So this post was good at least, taught me a few things :)

I have taken pictures, I find it to be the most exciting thing :) I usually take another set every 7 days as well as weigh myself and take measurements.

Hehe this is true, he tends to pop out a few wise words every now and then :) I'll definitely toss the body fat thing out the window, thank you!
  • Emilia777
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You really are too kind, I am happy to help. One thing I would say is that I’d go with a known structured lifting program like the ones I had mentioned. Best of luck! :smile:
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'd try
    http://www.weightrainer.net/circbf.html
    Completely anecdotal, but when I used it, I calculated out a lean body mass of ~135. About a month or two later I had a DEXA scan that said my lean body mass was 137.76. I'm not sure what was expensive testing range to you, but I'll mention the DEXA scane was $40 which was a huge improvement over my thinking I'd have to drive far for BodPod and pay $125+.
    You can also check if your local university is looking for guinea pigs for exercise experiments, some of them include a body fat test of some kind for free, on top of whatever the study pays.
    Calipers generally won't work well if you aren't experienced, and the some of the more extensive measurement methods for it use areas you can't access - you'd need someone else to pinch.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    Options

I've only started strength training again this week, I found a post on bodybuilding.com that contains these....
    LOWER BODY
    Barbell Squat
    Barbell Deadlift
    Dumbbell Lunges
    Good Mornings
    Split Squat
    UPPER BODY HORIZONTAL PUSHING
    Pushups
    Dumbbell Bench Press
    Barbell Bench Press
    Incline Bench Press
    UPPER BODY VERTICAL PRESSING