'Diet' advice needed - overwhelmed by low carb/sugar/LCHF/carb cycling etc

Options
Hello – I am after a bit of diet advice (using the term loosely of course, way of eating/lifestyle). There are so many different ways of eating out there and I'm trying to figure out which is the best for me, or where to start without chopping and changing between one or the other. Bit of background info on me – I am not terribly overweight but do store fat around my middle, probably looking to lose 1 stone. I am currently just under 5"2 and weigh around 9st-9st 4. Before monitoring my calories and aiming for a fairly 'clean eating' 80/20 lifestyle I was around 9st 6-9st 10. Currently I eat around 1200 calories, more if I exercise. Before anyone says that’s too little, I am super short and simply do not lose on more calories unless they are added back in from exercise.

I think I have a bit of a sugar addiction, so I do well cutting this out and am also quite sensitive to carbs. I've researched and it seems lower carb diets are good for those who store belly fat, have sugar addictions etc and struggle in general to lose weight. I don't have a lot to lose but it takes me ages to go down on the scale, and the occasional cheat meal or week off plan has never affected my weight loss, sometimes encouraging it.

Currently I am considering getting properly into the LCHF diet, but I don't want to go too low carb that my hair falls out or I get keto breath! It seems lots of people on this WOE have loads of weight to lose, so I am hoping I can hover out of ketosis and still lose without the unpleasant side effects, perhaps doing lower carb, higher fat but not leto. But I am also vaguely aware of carb cycling and perhaps this might be the way to go for me, and there is also the option of going sugar free but keeping clean carbs such as oats and sweet potato. I am struggling to find a comparison of these ways of eating online to figure out which is the best option for me and would welcome any advice anyone has.

Thanks in advance :-)

Replies

• isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Don't overcomplicate it with Fads and bro science

This is a good sensible starting point

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • laststrawbeforeilosemymind
    Options
    There are so many different ways of eating out there and I'm trying to figure out which is the best for me.
    Unless you have some kind of health condition, I'd suggest you completely erase all that keto/low car/low fat/etc stuff from your mind. Why make your life complicated?
    All those diets have this in common: calories in < calories out. I think that ayone who logs their food in for a long time will automatically start to eat healthier. Usually people are smart enough to choose a large salad instead of a tiny bit of pizza, for example, because for the same amount of calories, the former will leave you more satisfied.
    If you want to reduce your sugar intake, then do so! No need to follow a specific "mainstream" diet for that, make your own.
  • crazyblondechick87
    crazyblondechick87 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies, I guess I am trying a bit too hard to 'label' what i'm doing! rather than what feels right which is to stick to my calories, not over do it on any one macronutrient and just watch the sugar because i'm not one of those people who can have one square of chocolate or one biscuit and walk away. There are so many conflicting opinions out there! Especially now reading about LCHF where they dont even recommend tracking calories...
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    1) Meet your calorie target for the day
    2) Try and eat a little more lean protein and plenty of fresh vegetables and a couple of servings of fruit if you can
    3) Leave aside some calories for treats if you want them, if you don't want them that's fine as well
    4) Relax, be consistent and be patient
    5) Win
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    You're totally fine with eating 1200 cal and not eating back reasonable amounts of exercise at your height and weight.

Normal, healthy women store fat on thighs, butts, and tummies most heavily. You're a normal, healthy woman. You don't need any kind of special diet. Different diets won't chance fat deposit locations.

Ignore anyone who wants you to not track calories. Do what actually works.
  • mich19025
    mich19025 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I can be a bit of a binger when it comes to things like chocolate, cakes...sugar basically. Right now I try and find a place for it at the weekend, within calories and also within macros. I only buy them in single servings as well. I have done keto before and it does actually help with cravings. I still logged calories though and tracked my protein etc as I do lift weights. Any sudden weight loss is purely water and it does even out after a few weeks. I gave up on it as I wasn't consuming enough fibre and i felt I wasn't getting the most out of my lifts . If you want to go through life in the long term and make the decision that you will no longer consume chocolate or cakes etc then it might work...but in the short term it will just turn into another fad. Can you really see yourself cutting out that food group almost completely, for life? I do get that it is calories in vs calories out but what I would say to anyone is to make sure you are getting adequate protein. It's ok saying 'eat what you want as long as it fits your calories'. There is a difference between weight loss and fat loss. As someone like yourself who doesn't have a lot to lose then it might make all the difference if you focus on dropping your body fat percentage rather than scale weight.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies, I guess I am trying a bit too hard to 'label' what i'm doing! rather than what feels right which is to stick to my calories, not over do it on any one macronutrient and just watch the sugar because i'm not one of those people who can have one square of chocolate or one biscuit and walk away. There are so many conflicting opinions out there! Especially now reading about LCHF where they dont even recommend tracking calories...

As someone who chooses a low carb way to meet my caloric deficit....people who recommend not tracking calories are basically talking out of their bum. The idea behind why people say that is that is a theory that if you are eating higher fat and lower carb that the food you eat will have more of a satiety factor....aka you will get full quicker and for longer and therefore naturally eat less. However it doesn't negate that the only factor that causes you to lose weight is eating in a caloric deficit. I do low carb because it is the easiest way for me to eat and maintain a deficit.

I'd just lock down your logging and eat foods you enjoy...but only eat enough to meet your caloric deficit goals. We don't have to make it super complicated. Unfortunately society likes to tell us that we do, but let's be real...that's so they can sell us some new super plan or diet program. Calories in, calories out. When I finally realized that, it was so freeing.

This is really good advice.

I think the best way to think of it is that we lose because of the calorie deficit and all the rest (low carb, keto, paleo, cutting sugar, South Beach) are all ways that work for some people to maintain a calorie deficit -- sometimes without counting, but for me I like to know how many calories I'm losing on so I can adjust as needed and because it's educational to count for a while and learn how it works.

I'd say start by picking a calorie level (I agree 1200 + exercise calories should be fine at your size) and some macro percentages or targets. Depending on how much you want to worry about those there are ways of figuring it out, but I might start with the MFP defaults and if you want to try going lower carb maybe adjust those--for example, I think it's 50% carb with the default, so try 30%, which would be roughly 100 grams at your calorie level, and see how that works for you. Keep track of how hungry or satisfied you feel and when and if you are having trouble sticking to the plan and then adjust.

What I found is that when I was focusing on eating nutrient dense foods to meet my goals and my calories and macros that it was pretty easy not to overeat sweets--I'd have what fit, that's all. But if you want to try cutting them out for a while because moderation is hard for you, that's fine. Just make sure you enjoy and are satisfied by what you are eating.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow crazy person!

Agreeing with the others, I'm down 43lbs counting kcal.

You can lose weight eating nothing but cake, but I think you'd get tired! I found out through trial and error what fills me up and makes me feel good throughout the day.
    I need sugar for breakfast pre-gym, so banana! I need mid day protein so chicken helps etc. it took about 3 weeks of trying to get it right, but it's good now! I find myself eating fewer carbs overall, but then I did start out eating A LOT!

Best of luck to you! You'll do great!
  • crazyblondechick87
    Options
    Thanks so much to all of you, you have said things I have previously been thinking but I just keep second guessing myself. I need to be persistent as sometimes I do find myself floating off track, travelling frequently for work often does that because I need to work on my willpower! I think I am better off aiming for lower carb as I am fuller eating a bit more fat, but it makes sense not to label it or feel as though I need to do that on a daily basis. The same with sugar, maybe start strict and allow myself to phase chocolate back in in moderation.

I have always been consistent at monitoring my calories even when getting lazy with tracking, so that is a natural habit for me and I find it really helps. But 1200 calories can be tricky sometimes, especially with bread/pasta as they add a lot of calories which dont really keep me too full.

This site is always the best to come to for advice and inspiration as there is no bias, no trying to push any one product or way of eating. Thanks a lot for all of the advice - I will keep this thread bookmarked for whenever I start to doubt myself!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I too am sensitive to sugar/carbs. I don't do a formal low carb thing, but just started reducing them by limiting and cutting some foods until I found the sweet spot that lets me eat in a deficit while feeling full and having lots of energy.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If you are active theres no need to stick to 1200 cals to lose, perhaps you have too high a deficit set, if you went for 1/2lb a week loss you'll be able to eat some more. Eat back 50% of calories on top of your 1200.

I'm also 5ft 2 and although I'm now maintaining (9st 7lbs/ 133lbs which is slim on my frame) to lose I eat 1800 gross cals a day/ I maintain on 2200. I average 20k steps/day...so I'm not the average gal?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I used to be exactly like you, OP. It was so liberating to understand that ALL you need to do is track/weigh all your food and eat less than you burn. That's it. Simple. I do watch my sugar and grain-based carb intake, as these foods do make me crave more and that can lead to overeating. But it's awesome to know I can eat bread and still lose weight. Last time I "dieted" I eliminated all grain-based carbs and most dairy, and I really felt deprived sometimes. And it took forever to lose the weight. This way is SOOO much easier.
  • crazyblondechick87
    Options
    I think i'm definitely in need of a Fit Bit or similar, as I see people talking about their daily steps and i'm so competitive it would probably be a good incentive for me.

Unfortunately I think I am either blessed with a slow metabolism or need to do a lot more exercise than I currently do because I wouldn't get away with 1800. I struggle to eat that and above even when I go off plan. I would love to be able to eat 1500-1600 because then I don't feel like i'm restricting at all.

I also need to get stricter with the gym routine, I was doing 3-4 sessions minimum but this often gets knocked down to 1-2 with work commitments or just being so exhausted!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Just pick a number and go...you're way over-thinking this....pick a number, any number, and start logging all your food.

The rest will come naturally from that.

PS If you think you can't lose on 1500 calories/day, you don't know what 1500 calories/day is. START LOGGING.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    1) Meet your calorie target for the day
    2) Try and eat a little more lean protein and plenty of fresh vegetables and a couple of servings of fruit if you can
    3) Leave aside some calories for treats if you want them, if you don't want them that's fine as well
    4) Relax, be consistent and be patient
    5) Win

^^ Excellent advice!
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    Pyroforce wrote: »
    Please do not listen to these people who say you can eat whatever you want as long as you have a deficit...

Sugar is horrible for you. There are studies that shows that sugar is more addictive than cocaine. If you look on any food label you'll notice that it does not have the daily value % for sugar. If it did you would constantly see it over 100% on almost all food products with added sugar.

Excess sugar causes your body to produce insulin which stores the the excess sugars as fat.
    And as for the arguentment that I saw a few posts up, "sweet potatoes have sugar..." Yes, the name is true... They do have sugar in them, however they also have Fiber in them which prevents your body from absorbing all of the sugar that is in the food. This goes for fruits as well.

Bottom line,

Stay away from process foods, items that say "Reduced Fat" because they will have more sugar in them.

Learn to enjoy cooking and cook fresh food.

Watch the documentary called "Fed Up" it's on Netflix.

I've been doing this no sugar/low carb diet since June 1st and I have lost 25 pounds. Without exercise and I just walk about 10k steps while at work.

Also, 25 pounds in a month???? Hahahaha!!!!! Troll wandered out from under his bridge me thinks.

Co-signed. Strong first post. Also, his profile states that he lost 8 lbs (not 25) and has 62 to go. Inconsistent, hmm…