Should I see a doctor?

Options
13»

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    You might be in a plateau. I have been in a plateau since Mar. The last plateau (the one that ended in Mar.) started in October.

If you are logging everything with precision and you are at a deficit, you still might not lose weight if you are in a plateau. I get serial plateaus. Eventually I have a big "whoosh" where I'll lose several lbs. in a few days.

I wonder if this is more natural fluctuations? I do this too, and I've been in maintenance for about a year and a half.

No, it's not natural fluctuations. I know the difference... I will have natural fluctuations during a plateau and still consider it a plateau (because it is). Last time, I had natural fluctuations in the upper 170's and lower 180's. Eventually, I dropped into the lower 170's in a week and have mostly stayed there (with the exception of getting up to 176 a few weeks ago before dropping back down to 172 and 173). When I say I stay the same weight during a plateau, I'm truly gaining and losing a few lbs. from day to day and week to week, but staying within the same range for several months before getting a "whoosh" and dropping into a new range.

I had that happen. But it was because I had gotten sloppy in my logging. Once I was able to take a step back and honestly evaluate what I was doing, the "plateau" stopped and I went on to meet my goal.

Did you lose 7 lbs. in a few days at that point? If not, then your experience is not like mine. My point is that plateaus and "whooshes" exist. I lost weight semi-normally for the first 8 months... then started getting longer and longer plateaus and bigger whooshes. My point was that if the OP has not lost weight in a month, she may be experiencing the beginning of a plateau. I'm not discounting the suggestion that she use a food scale. We all know how important that is. Just don't ignore that people can log accurately and eat at a deficit, yet be in a plateau and not lose.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    You might be in a plateau. I have been in a plateau since Mar. The last plateau (the one that ended in Mar.) started in October.

If you are logging everything with precision and you are at a deficit, you still might not lose weight if you are in a plateau. I get serial plateaus. Eventually I have a big "whoosh" where I'll lose several lbs. in a few days.

I wonder if this is more natural fluctuations? I do this too, and I've been in maintenance for about a year and a half.

No, it's not natural fluctuations. I know the difference... I will have natural fluctuations during a plateau and still consider it a plateau (because it is). Last time, I had natural fluctuations in the upper 170's and lower 180's. Eventually, I dropped into the lower 170's in a week and have mostly stayed there (with the exception of getting up to 176 a few weeks ago before dropping back down to 172 and 173). When I say I stay the same weight during a plateau, I'm truly gaining and losing a few lbs. from day to day and week to week, but staying within the same range for several months before getting a "whoosh" and dropping into a new range.

I had that happen. But it was because I had gotten sloppy in my logging. Once I was able to take a step back and honestly evaluate what I was doing, the "plateau" stopped and I went on to meet my goal.

Did you lose 7 lbs. in a few days at that point? If not, then your experience is not like mine. My point is that plateaus and "whooshes" exist. I lost weight semi-normally for the first 8 months... then started getting longer and longer plateaus and bigger whooshes. My point was that if the OP has not lost weight in a month, she may be experiencing the beginning of a plateau. I'm not discounting the suggestion that she use a food scale. We all know how important that is. Just don't ignore that people can log accurately and eat at a deficit, yet be in a plateau and not lose.

I often go a few weeks without losing then suddently I will drop 4-7lbs in 3 or 4 days. In June I went w weeks without the scale changing yet still somehow managed to lose over 7lbs this month.

If I increase exercise slightly...maybe reduce sodium...drink more water...double check my accuracy in tracking...it always causes my weight to start dropping.

Last week I alone I lost almost 5lbs...it will slow down any day now and I might not lose anything else for a couple of weeks.

I don't call them plateaus though...it is just the way my body reacts to being in a deficit.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

I often go a few weeks without losing then suddently I will drop 4-7lbs in 3 or 4 days. In June I went w weeks without the scale changing yet still somehow managed to lose over 7lbs this month.

If I increase exercise slightly...maybe reduce sodium...drink more water...double check my accuracy in tracking...it always causes my weight to start dropping.

Last week I alone I lost almost 5lbs...it will slow down any day now and I might not lose anything else for a couple of weeks.

I don't call them plateaus though...it is just the way my body reacts to being in a deficit.

No, it isn't a plateau when it only lasts a few weeks. When it starts lasting months, it is a plateau.
  • chrissievet
    chrissievet Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    GreenValli wrote: »

I will look up symptoms of thyroid problems later today. Got to run for now. Thanks everyone! I so appreciate it. I have "doctor" phobia and really don't want to see one unless necessary. I am feeling great and healthy other than being frustrated about a slow weight loss.

Then honestly, the answer isn't your thyroid. Weight gain/stagnation is only one of many symptoms of hypothyroidism, and you certainly don't feel otherwise great and healthy.