Frozen Meals to Help with Weight Loss

Options
I decided to incorporate frozen meals into my diet to help with portion control. My calories are set at 1200 and the carbs 45%, protein 25% fat 30%. I am not diabetic but lower carbs makes me feel better. I've lost 4 pounds the first week. By scanning my meals I'm really able to see where I fall short each day and this has really made a difference in my weight loss. Although, my goal is max 2 pounds a week, I'm sure some of this is water weight, but I am satisfied and really motivated by these results. Has anyone else had similar results?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It probably isn't terribly different than things like Jenny Craig. Long term I'd wonder about micro nutrients and similar, but short term I don't think it's a big deal. It can be a great way to re-learn portion size/control, and is a good first step into all this if weight loss is your primary goal.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I tried that and it didn't work for me because I'm super sensitive to sodium. I ended up gaining 10lbs of water weight. But I have a friend who stakes up on the SmartOnes and Lean Cuisine and lost 50lbs. You just need to find what works for you.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    most of us who have had long term success wind up batch cooking- and that's what we eat- or we freeze said things and eat them through the week.

Whatever works for you is going to work and no one can give you more insight on that than you.

So if it's working- then keep doing it.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'd say the only thing to watch for with frozen meals is the sodium content but if you don't have health issues that would contraindicate sodium it's not that big of a deal. There are quite a few varieties where the sodium is not as bad as others and I usually try to choose those. In fact, I've had a couple Healthy Choice meal steam bowl meals in the last few weeks (Crustless Pot Pie and Beef Merlot) where the potassium was higher than the sodium which is great.
  • HealthyFit23
    HealthyFit23 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have to add extra protein to fill me up. I started the batch cooking thing and it works.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I don't find that frozen meals are an accurate portrayal of portion control for meals that you make from scratch. Maybe to learn how to portion control when you're eating a restaurant meal, but I find my own meals are a lot larger and come in way under the sodium and calories of frozen.

I personally do use frozen meals every now and then when I'm in a bind, but it's like, once every two weeks. I'd rather use some pre-made ingredients (like frozen meatless meatballs or veggie burgers) rather than a whole frozen meal
  • DietitianWriter
    DietitianWriter Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Most people generally lose more in the first week due to loss of water weight. From your second week on, you should average a loss of 1-2 pounds per week. Also, the sodium in frozen meals varies widely from brand to brand. Try to select meals with less than 675 mg of sodium per meal.

Which brands of frozen meals have been working for you?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I like to eat them for my lunch just for the sheer fact that they're convenient.

Some of my favorites are:
    Amy's Enchilada with beans and rice
    Amy's Mushroom Risotto
    Amy's Pesto Bowl
    Michellina's Stir Fry
    Michael Angelo's Four Cheese Lasagna
    etc.

If they fit into your goals and you like em, i say go for it! Although, i might add i usually supplement these with a fruit/veggie
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to Stouffer's lasagna..
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I prefer to batch cook and freeze my own meals. I do keep a few Lean Cuisines on hand for 'emergencies'. I'll add some extra vegies (love the frozen portions of broccoli, carrots and cauliflower) but I still don't find them as filling as my own meals and they're high in sodium. But it's worth it if it prevents me getting take out or making a poor choice.
  • cgramscoxnet
    cgramscoxnet Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    I'd say the only thing to watch for with frozen meals is the sodium content but if you don't have health issues that would contraindicate sodium it's not that big of a deal. There are quite a few varieties where the sodium is not as bad as others and I usually try to choose those. In fact, I've had a couple Healthy Choice meal steam bowl meals in the last few weeks (Crustless Pot Pie and Beef Merlot) where the potassium was higher than the sodium which is great.

Good info
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I love Healthy Choice Steamer Bowls.
  • sandi4711
    sandi4711 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I batch cook too. I used to do the frozen meals thing, but I find a lot of the frozen meals, have additives, preservatives, a lot of sodium, or are really high in carbs. Calories are not the be all/end all of a healthy diet. Just read the ingredients and if you don't recognize a lot of the ingredients, beware.