Performance on Fat loading and sports

Options

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    What's good about it specifically? Doesn't seem to be anything groundbreaking. Volek is a known low carb advocate, so it's really not surprising..

• miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    It's so interesting that the body can convert to using fat for fuel instead of glucose. The article is not written by Volek, but it quotes him since he's an expert on the topic. It also quotes Louise Burke, who says no study to date shows that a high fat diet leads to better athletic performance. It's a pretty unbiased article on the topic. I'm sure we'll be seeing more studies on athletes in ketosis in the near future.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    Well right, that's my point. The summary is "maybe it can be beneficial but we haven't been able to prove anything yet"....regardless of it is unbiased or not.
  • miriamtob
    Options
    Yeah, but it's just so cool that the body can make the conversion from glucose to fat for energy, right? Also, if an athlete has a seizure disorder, it is definitely worth looking into.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    miriamtob wrote: »
    I'm sure we'll be seeing more studies on athletes in ketosis in the near future.

They've already happened. For anything involving high intensity, going VLC has a disastrous impact on performance. Every example of a successful "low carb" athlete has turned out to be in reality a "lots of carbs but not quite as many as I used to eat" athlete. The infamous Lakers "low carb" diet, for example, was about 30% carbs, which on a 4000+ intake means 300g/day of carbs.

That is a loooooooooooooong way from a 30g ketosizer.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    It's so interesting that the body can convert to using fat for fuel instead of glucose.

Only to an extent.
    I'm sure we'll be seeing more studies on athletes in ketosis in the near future.

They've already happened. For anything involving high intensity, going VLC has a disastrous impact on performance. Every example of a successful "low carb" athlete has turned out to be in reality a "lots of carbs but not quite as many as I used to eat" athlete.

misquote?
  • Mr_Knight
    edited July 2015
    Options
    It's so interesting that the body can convert to using fat for fuel instead of glucose.

Only to an extent.

They've already happened. For anything involving high intensity, going VLC has a disastrous impact on performance. Every example of a successful "low carb" athlete has turned out to be in reality a "lots of carbs but not quite as many as I used to eat" athlete.

misquote?

Not sure what happened there. Consider it a riff on your theme. :)

:drinker:
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    I'm eating at 1200 cal and quite a bit of exercise, so it's been a juggling experience for me. Once I adjusted to my input in terms of satiety, higher carb totally wins for functional energy the next day.

In another week, my calories will start creeping up, so don't bother lecturing me. :)
  • miriamtob
    Options

They've already happened. For anything involving high intensity, going VLC has a disastrous impact on performance. Every example of a successful "low carb" athlete has turned out to be in reality a "lots of carbs but not quite as many as I used to eat" athlete. The infamous Lakers "low carb" diet, for example, was about 30% carbs, which on a 4000+ intake means 300g/day of carbs.

So the athletes having only 30% carbs before a big event, assuming they are "fat loading", do they fare better or worse than the athletes carb loading? I've heard of mountaineers eating entire sticks of butter on expeditions.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited July 2015
    Options

So the athletes having only 30% carbs before a big event, assuming they are "fat loading", do they fare better or worse than the athletes carb loading? I've heard of mountaineers eating entire sticks of butter on expeditions.

Not "30% carbs before a big event" - every day, otherwise they wouldn't be able to train properly.

And eating sticks of butter does not in any way imply ketosis.
  • miriamtob
    Options
    It implies using ketones for fuel.
  • syndeo
    syndeo Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You cannot oxidize enough fat to be a competitive runner/cyclist. If you want to be a mid-pack runner (at marathon distance) you can oxidize enough fat. Longer duration events (where you run slower, ie ultras) are more interesting for this approach.
  • xmikeyw
    xmikeyw Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone, good stuff!
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

No, it does not.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Somehow, I don't think the upcoming Low Carb Winter Olympics will be quiet the crowd pleaser the regular Winter Olympics are, but at least the athletes get as much Bullet Proof Coffee as they can stomach to keep warm.
  • miriamtob
    Options

Not "30% carbs before a big event" - every day, otherwise they wouldn't be able to train properly.

And eating sticks of butter does not in any way imply ketosis.

Ketones are an acidic by product of fat metabolism.

No, it does not.

What are you trying to say?
  • yellowantphil
    yellowantphil Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I've heard of mountaineers eating entire sticks of butter on expeditions.

I think they only do that because butter has the best calorie to weight ratio. I guess that means that efficient ketosis would be very helpful for mountaineers.
  • miriamtob
    Options
    I've heard of mountaineers eating entire sticks of butter on expeditions.

I think they only do that because butter has the best calorie to weight ratio. I guess that means that efficient ketosis would be very helpful for mountaineers.

Thanks! That helps understand it.