Losing Weight without Working Out?

Options

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I'm in a vicious cycle. I have arthritis in my knees and know I need to lose weight to help with the pain, but I'm in too Much pain to exercise.

Learn to log everything you eat and drink accurately and honestly, and you will lose weight. As you lose weight, your knees will hurt less and you can exercise more.

In the meantime, as @moyer566 said above you can swim, walk, strength train, stretch…
  • Horrorfox
    Horrorfox Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Horrorfox wrote: »
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    [quote=
    I don't think her doctor said that. I think she misinterpreted him saying that your diet is what is most important to losing weight. Which is what's true. You can work out all you like, but if you're consuming 9000 calories a day, guess what, you're not going to lose weight.

I just read today that competitors in Tour de France eat 9,000 calories a day!

@skinnyinnotime Robert Oberst (https://youtu.be/bs40BtGpuCA) consumes between 15,000-20,000 calories a day. But I guarantee this should never apply to the average person, especially someone who's out of shape and wants to lose weight.
  • tesemarie
    tesemarie Posts: 37 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I just wanted to add here that exercise is so good for your mind as much as your body. I'm my case, I became overweight by over eating, but I also didn't have a habit of exercising. When I changed my eating to log calories and maintain a proper deficit for weight loss, I also started moving my body because I know for a fact that to retain weight loss once I reach my goal, I have to change what was happening in my head too. I had built up a lot of misconceptions about fitness and my ability to be successful at it. They are all lies. I needed to realize that I am not going to look dumb trying to walk fast (or even run!!!) It's okay for me to wear exercise clothes in public. No one really cares as much as I think they do, and if they do notice the bigger girl running at the park, they are probably saying In their heads "good for her!!!" I needed to remind myself that my life and health are more important than some of the other ways that I was spending my time (ahem... Binge watching Netflix Which I still do now but after my walk and with a healthier snack :)
  • tesemarie
    tesemarie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Additionally, remember that this is a journey and sometimes it won't go as fast as you want it to. I'm trying to remember that I am learning a ton about myself and what makes me tick and the pace it's going is pretty much the pace it probably should for long term success. Even if it's a year to good Heath and fitness... That is only a year of your life and a lifetime to enjoy the benefits!!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I lost all of my weight with zero exercise.

I'm pretty much in maintenance now, and the only exercise I do is walking everyday. I aim for at least 20,000 steps most days.
    Shoot me down, but the main reason I exercise is so I can eat more.
  • britebloomz
    britebloomz Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    IMO, you will look way closer to goal weight if you exercise along with accurately tracking your intake...less flab. Get a digital food scale and read the stickies on this forum on how to use it. It will make tracking so much simpler. Good luck!
  • Francine_rivas
    Francine_rivas Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I don't come to this forums often, but I was wondering, is there a way to lose weight without exercising but eating well? What tips/food suggestions would you suggest to help with that? I would really appreciate your help, for I need to lose at least 25 pounds by October...

Yeah you can do it just through a calorie defict but your body won't look as we'll if you worked out and by working out you'll lose the weight faster and can eat a bit more.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    FoxyLifter wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    It's just about eating less calories than you burn naturally doing day to day stuff.... The big advantage of working out is that you get to eat more.

I disagree with the bolded. I don't get to eat a whole lot more. Maybe a few hundred calories per day. I think that the two main benefits to exercise is cardiovascular health (cardio/aerobics) and body composition (progressive resistance training program: my fav = heavy lifting). I've got to do something to retain my muscle mass while I'm losing weight. I look a lot better now that I'm maximizing fat loss and minimizing muscle loss. My shape is more important to me than what the scale says. Just my thoughts. :smile:

Maybe not for you but for many those extra calories cna make a big difference. Obviously if you dont burn many extra calories then you wont be eating muh more but some people cna burn substantial amounts, which does let them eat more.
  • datsundriver87
    datsundriver87 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Two weeks is the real issue here, losing weight is not a two week process. If you had to much food or even water the night before you weigh it could completely throw off your number. I can literally go to bed, wake up and have dropped 6 pounds.. Eat healthy and fewer calories than you burn over a two month period and watch the pounds drop. Than do it again for another two months And eventually it will be your daily routine
  • kristinareisinger
    kristinareisinger Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I might look into to getting a new mother. Or at least put the old one in a box when she starts harassing you about your weight. Seriously, that is an unhealthy dynamic.
    Lose weight, be healthy for YOURSELF, not to impress someone else (who, by the way, is supposed to love you unconditionally to begin with). Sometimes you just can't make other people happy and trying to do so, and failing, just keeps giving them control.
    Break the cycle. Instead if setting an unrealistic goal for yourself like 25 by Oct, (during which you will sacrifice and maybe be unhappy) - try small achievable goals for each day, like being proud of your healthy choices and being disciplined with your portions, etc. The weight will start to come off.
  • nikkidoodleee
    nikkidoodleee Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I might look into to getting a new mother. Or at least put the old one in a box when she starts harassing you about your weight. Seriously, that is an unhealthy dynamic.
    Lose weight, be healthy for YOURSELF, not to impress someone else (who, by the way, is supposed to love you unconditionally to begin with). Sometimes you just can't make other people happy and trying to do so, and failing, just keeps giving them control.
    Break the cycle. Instead if setting an unrealistic goal for yourself like 25 by Oct, (during which you will sacrifice and maybe be unhappy) - try small achievable goals for each day, like being proud of your healthy choices and being disciplined with your portions, etc. The weight will start to come off.
    Yeah, she and my sister just told me that I'm getting too wide...

• Muzzoozal
    Muzzoozal Posts: 33 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I've had bronchitis and unable to exercise but am loosing weight because of portion control and eating close to my limit - very slightly under. I make sure every calorie counts by eating healthy foods, enough protein and fiber. You could eat cake all day and as long as you stayed under your limit you would loose weight - of course you might feel very well........ The most important thing is not to starve yourself. It's taken a while to put it on, give your body time to adjust to taking it off. Healthy first, then weight.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I lost all of my weight with zero exercise.

I'm pretty much in maintenance now, and the only exercise I do is walking everyday. I aim for at least 20,000 steps most days.
    Shoot me down, but the main reason I exercise is so I can eat more.
    I don't think exercising to eat more is "wrong", I think it's one of those topics where you get a lot of people who say "I did 30 minutes on the elliptical so I could eat 2 slices of cake, but now im not losing weight, halp". If it works for you then it seems you've done it right. How do you measure your calorie burns and determine how much to eat back?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Trying to lose weight without working out is like trying to have sex with your clothes on...

That is a bad analogy.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Trying to lose weight without working out is like trying to have sex with your clothes on...

That is a bad analogy.
    So you say...
  • chris_finnigan
    chris_finnigan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've lost the majority of my weight (18kg) without additional excercise over the last 4months. I started the c25k running programme 7weeks ago and it has had little effect on my rate of weight loss though i am a whole lot fitter.
  • andrcollrvt
    andrcollrvt Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Perfect example. I will use this next time a friend complains.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Hey, I cannot even begin to describe how much Thrive by Le-Vel has changed the lives of me and my husband! We are free of ailments that we have been struggling with for years, we've lost weight and we have tons or energy. Message me for details.

Hahaha what a perfect classic spam paragraph, ending with the "message me for details" line! Well done you :+1:

Do they print off copies for you all to copy and repeat??

• DietitianWriter
    DietitianWriter Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you are strict about portion control, you can lose weight without exercising. Check out this New York Times article, which explains why eating less is far more important than exercising: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/16/upshot/to-lose-weight-eating-less-is-far-more-important-than-exercising-more.html?abt=0002&abg=0
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If you are strict about portion control, you can lose weight without exercising. Check out this New York Times article, which explains why eating less is far more important than exercising: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/16/upshot/to-lose-weight-eating-less-is-far-more-important-than-exercising-more.html?abt=0002&abg=0
    I would hardly say eating less is far more important then exercising. The body was meant to move... a lot. Sure you can lose weight without exercise, but just because you can does not mean you should. Exercising offers so many benefits–supporting weight loss is merely one of them.

In my experience, people put too much emphasis on diet and not nearly enough on exercise...