Meal Replacement Shakes

Options
Hello, I'm new to this journey. I was curious what your opinions were on meal replacement shakes, such as slim fast. Do you recommend any? I need ones that I can get from walmart or a store near me and that isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg. Please give me your feedback and let me know your opinions! Thank you!

Replies

• AlyM725
    AlyM725 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I used to do Slimfast a long time ago. Honestly, they're not very good, nutritiously. They have a lot of sugar, and they wont keep you full for very long. You'd be better off making a big batch of smoothies for the week. You can freeze them and then put them in the fridge the night before to defrost.

One of my favorites to make is:
    6 large strawberries (you can use frozen ones)
    1/2 banana
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk
    2 tablespoons almond butter
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

There are more great recipes here and here
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Been there done that........

I did Slim Fast years ago, was hungry all the time, learned nothing about my eating habits......regained the weight I lost.

Only lifestyle changes for me this time around. That's where MFP comes in.....I measure portions of my "regular" foods and log them. This teaches me about portion control. I can also see what I am doing right as well as what I am doing wrong.

MFP is designed for you to measure and log food. Replacement shakes are designed for you to "skip all that hassle." If you do the shake thing.....make it a temporary part of weight loss. Taper off the shakes, and onto real food.
  • BrendaMaldonado1
    BrendaMaldonado1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I used to take the special k shakes back in 2013 for breakfast and i went from 216 to 155 but i also exercised a lot and ate healthy... i would buy them at walmart 4 pack for $6... but then i stopped drinking them because its a processed food... i changed it to 1 cup of almond milk sugar free one small banana 1 tbsp of peanut butter and i would add protein powder (bought at walmart) to it absolutely delicious... Now i buy the herbal life meal replacement powder make it with 8 oz of water or coconut almond milk sugar free plus protein powder (bought at costco) sometimes i add peanut butter just so i can consume at least 1000 cal a day and its so delicious as well... it helps me i was taking 2x a day but now i just take it for dinner it keeps me full but i also eat all day just small meals...
  • DBBA21
    DBBA21 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hi I am from the UK and on and off for the last year I have been using the celebrity slim shakes for breakfast and occasionally lunch. For me this was the first time I have tried shakes as an aid to weight loss. So far I have lost around 3 stone in a year slow but steady. The shakes have helped me to control my eating and think more carefully about what I eat. It maybe worth trying shakes to see if it helps you to gain control. Sometimes they work sometimes they don't everyone is different. What I would say us it's not something you can do forever. They only work if you change what you eat for the rest of the day. Also experiment with flavours some are not so nice to drink.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    They are nutritionally complete, that's probably their main attribute.
  • Lestrange__
    Lestrange__ Posts: 19 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I tried them a while back and they were useless. I'd always be super hungry after an hour and they have way too much sugar. I was only using them for one meal and gave up on them after a few months so I didn't experience any weight gain, but I know people who used them for all meals. They lost quite a bit of weight, but would gain it all back even when eating a healthy diet.

You are honestly better off eating those calories with healthy, nutritious food or a homemade smoothie.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm new to this journey. I was curious what your opinions were on meal replacement shakes, such as slim fast. Do you recommend any? I need ones that I can get from walmart or a store near me and that isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg. Please give me your feedback and let me know your opinions! Thank you!

I don't see the point in meal replacement shakes unless you're finding it extremely hard to get calories in (it's easier to drink calories than chow down a meal) or you have an incredibly busy life style which requires a faster way to get calories in.

You're better off eating actual food for now. Slim Fast, lolnope.jpg. Waste of money.
  • lucky078
    lucky078 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi there, personally I think shakes can be a good alternative for the odd meal here and there, for example a couple of nights a week I work late and then go to an excersise class straight from work, I find a shake on the way a better option than getting too hungry and then making bad food choices! I agree with most of the comments that they are not a good idea to use for two meals a day everyday if you are looking for a long term loss, but with busy lives sometimes we need a little convenience to help us out! I use the Herbalife shakes which I think a a little better than the slimfast and they do fill me but they still have a high su
  • marky1965
    marky1965 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    A waste of money. Buy and eat real food and supplement with protein shakes if needed. Most are just a BS commercial scam IMO.
  • Baby_cakes69
    Baby_cakes69 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Informative posts. Thanks I will stear clear also I had been using Herbalife shakes as well.
  • Bearoniman
    Bearoniman Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    for me at least, They helped me get the wheels rolling until I could see progress because it took alot of the thinking out of that aspect of the day, eating; once you see progress, then it becomes alot easier to maintain caloric goals and exercise on a regular basis IMO