Reducing cholesterol via diet

Options
tomatoey
tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
edited July 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Mine isn't a huge number ("6", my doc said, without any explanation). She wasn't too worried about it, but if I can get it down, that'd be great. (My parents both have to take meds to reduce it.) What's a sound dietary approach for doing that?

Is anyone up on the science enough to tell me whether eggs and steak are or aren't bad? I have no idea, googling.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    A NYT OpEd on the new science:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/21/opinion/when-the-government-tells-you-what-to-eat.html?_r=0
    wrote:
    First, last fall, experts on the committee that develops the country’s dietary guidelines acknowledged that they had ditched the low-fat diet.
    On Thursday, that committee’s report was released, with an even bigger change: It lifted the longstanding caps on dietary cholesterol, saying there was “no appreciable relationship” between dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol. Americans, it seems, had needlessly been avoiding egg yolks, liver and shellfish for decades. The new guidelines, the first to be issued in five years, will influence everything from school lunches to doctors’ dieting advice.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    A NYT OpEd on the new science:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/21/opinion/when-the-government-tells-you-what-to-eat.html?_r=0
    wrote:
    First, last fall, experts on the committee that develops the country’s dietary guidelines acknowledged that they had ditched the low-fat diet.
    On Thursday, that committee’s report was released, with an even bigger change: It lifted the longstanding caps on dietary cholesterol, saying there was “no appreciable relationship” between dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol. Americans, it seems, had needlessly been avoiding egg yolks, liver and shellfish for decades. The new guidelines, the first to be issued in five years, will influence everything from school lunches to doctors’ dieting advice.

Thank you, RodaRose!

The article also says that it's unclear whether reducing sodium makes a difference. And that "... recent science has increasingly shown that a high-carb diet rich in sugar and refined grains increases the risk of obesity, diabetes and heart disease — much more so than a diet high in fat and cholesterol." So the cholesterol / heart disease risk relationship is fuzzy, now, too, eh?

I'd be ok with going lower carb than I am right now. More to read and think about, I suppose!
  • RodaRose
    Options
    I found an abstract of the meta review:
    http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=1846638
    Conclusion: Current evidence does not clearly support cardiovascular guidelines that encourage high consumption of polyunsaturated fatty acids and low consumption of total saturated fats
  • tomatoey
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thank you! :) (It makes me happy that I can worry less about my eggs. But at the same time, slightly more anxious, in that there's more to learn about what does make a difference. I'm pretty sure there's room for improvement in my diet, either way, and I don't mind doing that. Maybe a placebo effect will magically do it :) )
  • RodaRose
    Options
    A positive attitude works. B)
  • tomatoey
    Options
    It's true, for so many things. Thanks again :)
  • stefankruithof
    stefankruithof Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    To avoid any confusion some readers of this thread may have: your diet heavily influences your cholesterol levels!

The science shows that eating cholesterol has little effect, so you can safely eat those eggs. Lowering cholesterol through diet shouldn't focus on dietary cholesterol. Instead, here are the basics of lowering cholesterol through diet:
    • Reduce saturated fat. Eating saturated fat causes your body to produce cholesterol, because it needs cholesterol to digest the fat.
    • Increase dietary fiber. The fiber will bind to the bile in your digestive system, excreting it, prompting your body to create more bile. Your body will use cholesterol to produce the bile, thereby lowering your cholesterol.
    • Consider adding plant sterols to your diet. These are now being added to many cholesterol-lowering products and have sound scientific evidence demonstrating effectiveness. (Just to be sure: do inform your health care provider of any supplement or fortified product you're taking.)
  • tomatoey
    Options
    To avoid any confusion some readers of this thread may have: your diet heavily influences your cholesterol levels!

The science shows that eating cholesterol has little effect, so you can safely eat those eggs. Lowering cholesterol through diet shouldn't focus on dietary cholesterol. Instead, here are the basics of lowering cholesterol through diet:
    • Reduce saturated fat. Eating saturated fat causes your body to produce cholesterol, because it needs cholesterol to digest the fat.
    • Increase dietary fiber. The fiber will bind to the bile in your digestive system, excreting it, prompting your body to create more bile. Your body will use cholesterol to produce the bile, thereby lowering your cholesterol.
    • Consider adding plant sterols to your diet. These are now being added to many cholesterol-lowering products and have sound scientific evidence demonstrating effectiveness. (Just to be sure: do inform your health care provider of any supplement or fortified product you're taking.)

Thanks so much for your reply, @stefankruithof !

I've read a bit (like just a tiny bit) about saturated fat possibly not being the devil it's been thought to be. e.g.
    http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/features/truth-about-saturated-fats

I do love red meat, butter, and cheese (as well as eggs). I'd even say beef is my primary source of protein. I'd be loathe to swap it for chicken, but will if it comes to it.

My health care provider wasn't even that interested in my test result, so I'm not sure she'd much care whether I ate plant sterols. But that's another story. It is a good caution for others :)
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    EAt more vegetables and more soluble fibre. Eat a lot more vegetables. And don't overeat. Over eating is a greater problem than just eating saturated fat. Get your body weight down.

Exercise also burns off cholesterol i'm told. Are you active.

Re the cholesterol lowering drugs, I'd be cautious. My father is just has got gallstones now and i read up the other day that cholesterol lowing drugs can be a cause. Also losing a lot of weight fast.

Most people here need to improve the way they eat. If you try to make eating healthier a priority then you might find your cholesterol problems go away. More vegies, fruit and soluble fibre.

I have radically changed the way I eat since the beginning of 2014 so it can be done. Not that i was a meat eater before then. Rather I was a big junkfood eater. Lots and lots of sweet foods and very little else.
  • tomatoey
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm at a BMI of 22, but could stand to lose a few pounds.

I am generally active, but am also usually working around orthopedic issues, so I'm not usually going to maximal intensity these days. I took the past few days off entirely for a knee thing, but I think I will try to go back to the bike and see how that feels (I actually hate not being able to work out).

I do eat veg (less fruit, but I do eat raspberries), usually 1-2 servings with every meal. I could eat more, though. Rarely eat sweets. Sometimes I have fast food, but it's not a habit. All that said, I could certainly tighten it all up a bit more.

I have a diagnosis of PCOS, in case that is worth mentioning (but I'm one of those so-called thin PCOSers with few symptoms other than cysts). (I know it's been linked with high cholesterol, not sure if this is a risk for everyone with the diagnosis, or just those who are overweight, or what.)
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Hey tomatoey.

I eat mixed nuts daily (I'm dairy free). My cholesterol was tested recently and the good cholesterol was really high and bad cholesterol just 'normal'.

Dr said it was mainly down to my daily nut intake...

Maybe worth a shot :)

• tomatoey
    Options
    Hi Furburster - thank you so much for the great tip :) I could eat more nuts (but yeah would probably mean I'd need to fiddle with the rest to fit them in. I love dairy too :/)
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Tomatoey.....I can give you our experiences with cholesterol levels, it maybe anecdotal but at least it's another perspective.

Hubby has struggled with his numbers for quite a while....and trying to find answers for the layman via Google is a minefield of contradictions.....I know I think I went temporarily insane 'trying' to find out if he REALLY needed the statins being offered or not and this is all with having a brother who is a Doctor and a pharmacist Daughter.....so all the best.

Helpful things that actually lowered his overall BAD numbers and increased his GOOD ones:

1st Lose excess weight.....
    Get regular exercise, one that sustains a higher heart rate for as long as you can (this has dropped away from his routine and his numbers have risen.....coincidence I think not)
    He started taking regular Vitamin E - we tried it without any side effects.....of course do your own research and consult your Dr.....blah, blah.
    At the time of his numbers coming back back initially....we were totally vego's, no saturated fats to speak of in our diets.....we changed and started eating whole eggs, meats, bacon etc.....his numbers decreased, from memory those in research say the jury is 'out' about the bad effects of eating saturated fats.
    The ratio between the bad/good cholesterol is very important....some say more important than the baseline numbers themselves.
    Doc. should also be able to do an assessment of your risk from said numbers.....even though his numbers have risen and they do from ageing and are particularly affected by genetics, his other risk factors ie. does not smoke, rarely drinks, no High BP etc etc put him in the 4% range of having health issues....so no need for statins yet.

Hope this makes sense and is helpful or at least interesting.
  • tomatoey
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @Spreyton22K - I'm totally interested! Because yes, the information out there at the moment is conflicting and confusing. So I am entirely happy to hear about things that work for people. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Lose weight, move more. For most people, most of the time, that takes care of it.
  • tomatoey
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Lose weight, move more. For most people, most of the time, that takes care of it.

Thanks, Mr. Knight. I've been hovering between 136 and 138 lbs at 5'7, which is dead centre of the healthy BMI range. Obviously that still might be too much for me (I feel it is, but mostly because of vanity), but I am not sure it fully explains the problem. I regained weight to 145 last summer due to injuries (have lost some of it), but prior to this past year, maintained at 124-126 lbs, for four years. I move as much as I am physically able at the moment :/

My cholesterol was fine at my peak weight (though I was younger then).
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    ^^^Struth!!!!

That sucks about the numbers going up, despite a healthy weight.

The other thing too that does factor in (I'm not sure how much TBH) is sex. Our Doc. was not really concerned when mine went up too, despite weight not being a factor - He basically said women can 'safely' handle higher numbers than men.

Genetics and as you have pointed out ageing can just make risk factors worse.....despite healthy weight, despite all the exercise in the world and perfect diet.....the numbers keep on rising and statins are worth considering. I'm not advocating for a second to sit back and 'Think of England' type attitude because you are damned if you do or if you don't but it does lead to frustration.

• tomatoey
    Options
    ^^^Struth!!!!

That sucks about the numbers going up, despite a healthy weight.

The other thing too that does factor in (I'm not sure how much TBH) is sex. Our Doc. was not really concerned when mine went up too, despite weight not being a factor - He basically said women can 'safely' handle higher numbers than men.

Genetics and as you have pointed out ageing can just make risk factors worse.....despite healthy weight, despite all the exercise in the world and perfect diet.....the numbers keep on rising and statins are worth considering. I'm not advocating for a second to sit back and 'Think of England' type attitude because you are damned if you do or if you don't but it does lead to frustration.

Aw, it sounds like you both have done everything possible to try to manage it the best you can! With some success, I'm glad to hear :) But I can see how it would be frustrating :(

I didn't know that women could handle it better - though I guess that makes sense (I did know men have a harder time with cardiovascular stuff generally). Maybe that - plus me being borderline high, not high-high - is why my doc wasn't overly concerned, I mean she didn't tell me to do anything about it :/

Genes, well, I think there's some CV risk there, but it could be worse (as in although there's been stuff in the extended family, my own parents are at least managing their CV issues ok with meds, knock wood). It'd just feel good to do what I can just in case :)

Really glad to hear you guys are managing things :)
  • Healthexp693
    Healthexp693 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Exercise will increase your good cholesterol, HDL, which is important in promoting a healthy blood lipid profile.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    If it does happen to turn out that it's down to eating chicken most of the time (because although I like some fish, I can only handle so much of it), I might just go mostly veggie instead.

(I had roast chicken for lunch, and saved some for dinner - could barely choke that last bit down. And a pro made it :/ )