Put on 1 pound - my first ever failure!

Options
I've normally got this weight loss thing sorted but for the first week ever, I put ON a pound!

How did this happen? I'm normally on about 1500 cals a day, and my last week looked like this:

Sun - family meal [cannot estimate cals]
Mon - ~2500 cals [maintenance]
Tue - over by 900 cals roughly [birthday]
Wed - hit goal
Thur - hit goal

Well, I say 'hit goal' but the fact is that I had a lot of bulgar wheat and I have no idea what the cals are for that. I thought it was about 250-300 a bowl.

So I suppose this was just a] an inconsistent week foodwise and b] a case of not being able to log correctly.

But I'm still surprised it was as much as a pound over.

Back to being strict next week then.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Water weight.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    /thread
  • ariamythe
    ariamythe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Just to add: one pound is NOT a failure. It's variance.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I agree, probably water weight. People retain water occasionally, for a number of reasons.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Seriously not a big deal. Your weight is not static when eating at maintenance. It moves up and down through the day, the week, and through your menstrual cycle. The same holds when you are eating in a deficit.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Do what you can to keep things in perspective. There will be ups and downs. :)
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Most people set a maintenance range, rather than a single number. It's OK to vary a bit within a range, of say, three pounds.
    How about a three pound, no panic range?
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Water weight.

Could you elaborate?
  • Glinda1971
    Glinda1971 Posts: 2,328 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Water weight.

Could you elaborate?

I can. I've been in my deficit consistently and yesterday, due to that time of the month, a couple high sodium meals and tons of exercise Wednesday, the scale was up 1.5 lbs from last week.

I know I'm just retaining water. And by Tuesday the scale should be back where it belongs.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Water weight.

Could you elaborate?

Ok. Basically, when you first restrict your calories you most likely lost a lot of water weight.

When you consume a high amount of calories after this phase your body tends to retain water for a week or two.

Water retention can be affected by carbohydrate intake, creatine intake, calorie intake and sodium intake.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    If this is your first ever failure, you haven't had any real problems. Chill
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    ariamythe wrote: »
    Just to add: one pound is NOT a failure. It's variance.

This!
  • Lysander666
    Options
    Water weight.

Could you elaborate?

Ok. Basically, when you first restrict your calories you most likely lost a lot of water weight.

When you consume a high amount of calories after this phase your body tends to retain water for a week or two.

Water retention can be affected by carbohydrate intake, creatine intake, calorie intake and sodium intake.

Got you, thanks. Yes, this was my first high-er calorie week so that makes sense.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Yeah, when you increase you calories, your body replenishes it's lost glycogen, hence water weight. Also if you went out to eat, sodium. Sodium gets me every time.

It goes away though in a day or two.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Water retention
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Your body weight constantly fluctuates. I hate to break it to you, but this won't be the first time that you see the scale go up, even after you've done everything right all week.

Just some unsolicited advice: take the word "failure" out of your vocabulary. If you're logging everything faithfully and staying within your calorie goal, you're not failing, no matter what the number on the scale says.
  • Lysander666
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Your body weight constantly fluctuates. I hate to break it to you, but this won't be the first time that you see the scale go up, even after you've done everything right all week.

Just some unsolicited advice: take the word "failure" out of your vocabulary. If you're logging everything faithfully and staying within your calorie goal, you're not failing, no matter what the number on the scale says.

Hmm OK, I'll change my attitude!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

Hmm OK, I'll change my attitude!

Thank you. <3

• galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    My weight moves a lot 1lb in maintenance id call a success