Really hungry during the day.

Options
I'm currently eating around 1200 calories a day and find myself getting very hungry a lot of the time. I eat toast or a sandwich for breakfast/lunch and then a meal in the evening for dinner. I get really hungry during the gaps between the meals though. I can't afford to buy fancy healthy things as I'm on a very tight budget. Could I maybe afford to eat a bit over my 1200 cals? I will be starting cardio this week aswell since I have just bought myself a new exercise bike.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Try eating more fat, I find that fat and carbohydrates tend to keep me more full (I guess it's different for everyone).
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    How much are you trying to lose per week?
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I agree with Isaack. After looking at your diary, it appears that you aren't eating that much fat. I'd try to increase that and then reevaluate.
  • ajc1309
    ajc1309 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    0.5 - 1lb a week. I've only managed to lose 2 lbs in 30-ish days, but that was without exercise.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    More protein and fat, fewer carbs, imo. You could also set your goal to a lower weight loss.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I’d definitely go for less weight loss to eat a few more calories. I started at 1200 and went up to 1300 and then 1400. I honestly was a *lot* happier, and I still lost plenty of weight, especially because I felt good and had the energy to be more active.

I would agree that more fat could help. Some great low-cal snacks are greek yogurt, mini popcorn bags, cheese strings. If memory serves though, Fage is pricy in the UK :(.

ETA: I recall that when I lived in the UK cup-a-soups were my friend. There are a lot of delicious very low calorie options. I loved the thai chicken one. So satisfying!
  • ritareid1215
    ritareid1215 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I say you could bring up your calories more. Maybe to 1300? Also eat more calories in the morning/ for breakfast. You probably feel hungry all day because your body didn't get enough energy because you didn't eat enough. Your calories for breakfast should always be bigger than any other meal. For example, I eat 2 cups of cereal and 1 1/3 milk with it. It holds me a little before lunch. Also, you could easily excerise later and get back your calories after a big breakfast. I hope this helped!
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    When I eat carbs for breakfast, like a bagel and cream cheese, I'm always starving an hour later. However, when I eat eggs/egg whites or chicken for breakfast I am full for hours, it always amazes me. Also the eggs and chicken breakfasts are usually much lower calorie than the bagel or toast breakfast. A whole cup of egg whites is only 125 cal and all protein. I also find that if I'm hungry but know i shouldn't be snacking I make a cup of light hot chocolate only 45 calories or chicken broth.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    I say you could bring up your calories more. Maybe to 1300? Also eat more calories in the morning/ for breakfast. You probably feel hungry all day because your body didn't get enough energy because you didn't eat enough. Your calories for breakfast should always be bigger than any other meal. For example, I eat 2 cups of cereal and 1 1/3 milk with it. It holds me a little before lunch. Also, you could easily excerise later and get back your calories after a big breakfast. I hope this helped!
    No. Just no.

It may be that a bigger breakfast helps some people stay on track and it may be that a bigger breakfast would help OP, but the idea that "breakfast should always be bigger than any other meal" is fundamentally flawed.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I would suggest more exercise so you could have at least 1400 calories. You don't want to be constantly hungry. You'll end up giving up. It's better to slow down than stop all together. Keep going. This is a life long commitment you don't have to be in a hurry. Increase u our exercise routine and eat a little more. Find a good balance that works for you. But don't go hungry.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    No. Just no.

It may be that a bigger breakfast helps some people stay on track and it may be that a bigger breakfast would help OP, but the idea that "breakfast should always be bigger than any other meal" is fundamentally flawed.

Co-signed. I actually don’t eat breakfast before noon because I simply am not hungry. In fact, it has been my experience that when I do break my fast early in the day, I feel unreasonably hungry for the rest of the day.
  • hutchin88
    hutchin88 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    fernt21 wrote: »
    When I eat carbs for breakfast, like a bagel and cream cheese, I'm always starving an hour later. However, when I eat eggs/egg whites or chicken for breakfast I am full for hours, it always amazes me. Also the eggs and chicken breakfasts are usually much lower calorie than the bagel or toast breakfast. A whole cup of egg whites is only 125 cal and all protein. I also find that if I'm hungry but know i shouldn't be snacking I make a cup of light hot chocolate only 45 calories or chicken broth.

Ditto.

Try adding more protein and avoiding processed carbs, especially for breakfast. Best to you!
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    No. Just no.

Co-signed. I actually don’t eat breakfast before noon because I simply am not hungry. In fact, it has been my experience that when I do break my fast early in the day, I feel unreasonably hungry for the rest of the day.
    + 1 to that! OP, are you drinking enough water throughout the day? Thirst can mimic hunger, so try drinking a glass full and seeing if that helps.

• ajc1309
    ajc1309 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    No. Just no.

+ 1 to that! OP, are you drinking enough water throughout the day? Thirst can mimic hunger, so try drinking a glass full and seeing if that helps.

I do try but only manage 2-3 glasses a day, I'm terrible at drinking water. I'm a tea drinker which I know probably isn't great.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    I would suggest more exercise so you could have at least 1400 calories. You don't want to be constantly hungry. You'll end up giving up. It's better to slow down than stop all together. Keep going. This is a life long commitment you don't have to be in a hurry. Increase u our exercise routine and eat a little more. Find a good balance that works for you. But don't go hungry.

This is good advice.

Also, I'd try eating more fat and protein, less bread for breakfast and lunch. Doesn't work for everyone, but I find bread just isn't that filling for me so I wouldn't make it a huge part of my diet unless I had more calories.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    ajc1309 wrote: »
    No. Just no.

I do try but only manage 2-3 glasses a day, I'm terrible at drinking water. I'm a tea drinker which I know probably isn't great.
    I can't stand plain water unless I'm incredibly thirsty so I always add a bit of flavor and keep a big bottle close by to sip on through the day.

• MrsJohnston
    MrsJohnston Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I went to see a dietitian before, and she said it's essential to have a balance of protein and carbs in each meal. The protein helps to slow down the breakdown of the sugars in the carbs and keeps you feeling full and energetic longer. It really does work! And if you have some water with it you'll stay full even longer!
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Exercise will help a lot, as it will add to the amount of calories you can eat per day. Also, limit wasted calories to a minimum. What I mean by wasted calories is foods that have a lot of calories but very little nutritional value, for example... pizza.