Weight loss scams and how to spot them

Options

Replies

• myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    "here, you can lose weight... Just watch this 30 minute video that absolutely doesn't say crap !"
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    • Demonises food groups

And on the flip side of that, anything that claims that one particular food is a "miracle food" and that you need to eat it exclusively in order to lose weight.

• heyeyeya
    heyeyeya Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Other behaviors did not change; use declined sharply after the first month; nothing was apparently monitored but self-reported "use of a personal calorie goal". That's not a very impressive study. I definitely agree with its conclusions: if you hand a random person an app and then just let them use it or not as they see fit, you're not likely to get a high success rate. But how is that in any way helpful data [/quote]

It's helpful data because they are likely looking at interventions that would make a difference in health care. I actually think it's quite useful to know that it makes no statistically significant difference if you suggest it to patients who aren't mentally ready to make a change.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    I think it would be better to make a list of what "DOES" work.

There would only be one item on the list...

1. Promotes "healthy" weight loss (no more than 2 lbs. per week) through "diet" and "exercise".

The end...:)

So true. But sadly, some people don't want to hear that. I've seen more than one thread here that goes something like...

OP: "Hey! I just started using <insert weight loss scam here>! Anyone else using it? I need friends - let's support each other!"

25 different MFP posters: "That's a scam. Please don't waste your money."

Person with 2 previous posts: "Hey! I'm using <insert weight loss scam here> too! Sent you a friend request! Let's do this!"

OP: "Yay! I accepted!"

End of thread.

So, yeah....I love the 'weight loss scams and how to spot them' list. It's well worth it even if it helps only a few folks here who are willing to think it through a bit before falling for the scams.

So true.

It's just a shame that so many people cannot see through the BS, and the scammers are making billions of dollars a year off of that.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    - Your friends are selling it via facebook

And YOU can sell it too. :smile: