How much time do you spend on a treadmill?

Options
biziebun
biziebun Posts: 24 Member
edited July 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
How much time do you guys/gals spend on a treadmill going foing semi full?

I'm not sure if I'm spending to much or to little. I try to keep my HR at a min of 140. When it drops to 140, I take the speed back up and get my HR to around 155'ish and maintain that until I can't go any more. Then I'll lower the speed, till my HR hit 140 and back at it again. Would do it for about 30mins. Any thoughts or input on what I'm doing?

Here's an image of my HR
s5dsecos8zz5.jpg

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    so far this year, i have spent just under two hours on the treadmill, having done about 11 miles.

that is entirely too much time, IMO.

fcc06cb61b02dacc059d71a04c379d4d.jpg
  • NanzyBoek
    NanzyBoek Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    so far this year, i have spent just under two hours on the treadmill, having done about 11 miles.

Ha ha that's good. You must not live in Canada to be running outdoors :)

• Capt_Apollo
    Options
    biziebun wrote: »

I'm not sure if I'm spending to much or to little. I try to keep my HR at a min of 140. When it drops to 140, I take the speed back up and get my HR to around 155'ish and maintain that until I can't go any more. Then I'll lower the speed, till my HR hit 140 and back at it again. Would do it for about 30mins. Any thoughts or input on what I'm doing?

now, to seriously answer your question, you should look into heart rate zone training. it brought my abilities up much higher.

zone 1 warm up
    zone 2 easy
    zone 3 aerobic
    zone 4 threshold
    zone 5 maximum

there are a couple of different ways to set up your heart rate zones, and even input them into your app to give you alerts.

now, using heart rate zone is tricky. building endurance and going for long runs? no reason to go up past zone 3. build speed? do intervals in zone 5, and then drop into zone 3 in your rest period. trying for steady speed but over a longer period (but not as long as on your long run) zone 4.
  • khol1
    khol1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I live in the UK & suffer so bad from hayfever so I love the treadmill! I don't really do intervals but spend about 30mins a time on the treadmill and run at about 8mph.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    NanzyBoek wrote: »

Ha ha that's good. You must not live in Canada to be running outdoors :)

there is no bad weather. just bad clothing.

• pianoplaya94
    pianoplaya94 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I don't pay attention to my heart rate tbh. Sometimes the machine doesn't even measure my heart rate. My usual routine though (in addition to other cardio) is 20 minutes on the treadmill where I do 6mph for 5 mins, then 4.3 mph for 5 mins, then back to 6mph for 5 then back to 4.3. Sometimes (like yesterday) I will do this for half an hour. That's if I do other cardio too. I've just done the treadmill in one gym session before. In this case I usually do 40-50 mins on the treadmill. But 20 mins is my usual.
  • biziebun
    Options

now, to seriously answer your question, you should look into heart rate zone training. it brought my abilities up much higher.

zone 1 warm up
    zone 2 easy
    zone 3 aerobic
    zone 4 threshold
    zone 5 maximum

there are a couple of different ways to set up your heart rate zones, and even input them into your app to give you alerts.

now, using heart rate zone is tricky. building endurance and going for long runs? no reason to go up past zone 3. build speed? do intervals in zone 5, and then drop into zone 3 in your rest period. trying for steady speed but over a longer period (but not as long as on your long run) zone 4.

How do I find HR per zone?
  • biziebun
    Options
    khol1 wrote: »
    I live in the UK & suffer so bad from hayfever so I love the treadmill! I don't really do intervals but spend about 30mins a time on the treadmill and run at about 8mph.

How often are you doing this...every other day etc?
  • biziebun
    Options
    I don't pay attention to my heart rate tbh. Sometimes the machine doesn't even measure my heart rate. My usual routine though (in addition to other cardio) is 20 minutes on the treadmill where I do 6mph for 5 mins, then 4.3 mph for 5 mins, then back to 6mph for 5 then back to 4.3. Sometimes (like yesterday) I will do this for half an hour. That's if I do other cardio too. I've just done the treadmill in one gym session before. In this case I usually do 40-50 mins on the treadmill. But 20 mins is my usual.

I use a Wahoo Run HR monitor strap. It's pretty accurate to the treadmill.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

zone 1 warm up
    zone 2 easy
    zone 3 aerobic
    zone 4 threshold
    zone 5 maximum

here, let me just google that for you... http://www.digifit.com/heartratezones/training-zones.asp?MaxHR=&Age=33&RHR=
  • biziebun
    Options

zone 1 warm up
    zone 2 easy
    zone 3 aerobic
    zone 4 threshold
    zone 5 maximum

here, let me just google that for you... http://www.digifit.com/heartratezones/training-zones.asp?MaxHR=&Age=33&RHR=

Duh...forgot about Mr. Google. Thanks.