Thoughts on my plan?

Options
2»

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    stephchadz wrote: »
    Eating more food will not make you lose weight. Are you weighing what you eat with a food scale? Are you eating back exercise calories?

I weight my food when I am at home and have access to the scale (my parents take us out a lot which is a problem in and of itself. If I say I don't want to go out they get angry at me for not "spending time as a family") and I don't usually eat back exercise calories.

It's really difficult, if not impossible, to accurately measure how many calories are eaten from meals you don't prepare yourself. Most likely you are still eating too many calories.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm 5'4" and have been 145 at one point in my weight loss. I found at those stats, logging had to be extremely precise. I had to stop using the salad bar at lunch and start weighing out all lunches and pre-log for the day/week. I had to shave off 100 calories every day from my deficit, so I could enjoy socializing on Saturday and not wipe out my deficit. If you're truly eating 1500 calories or below, you should be losing. Even eating 1700, you should be losing .5 lbs per week.
  • stephchadz
    stephchadz Posts: 143 Member
    Options

It's really difficult, if not impossible, to accurately measure how many calories are eaten from meals you don't prepare yourself. Most likely you are still eating too many calories.
    [/quote]

Alright I will definitely try to log more accurately with the food scale and see how that works.
  • ashleyweatherholtzmathis
    Options
    I'm not tiny, I'm obese and pretty much sedentary unless I'm out walking or doing short sprints to boost heart rate. I'm under dr. supervision for the low calorie intake, so that's why I make it a point to measure accurately. Today is the exception because I'm going to inlaws and don't want to be lugging my scale and glass scale bowls with me to measure everything properly. Last week I was starting to inch into the dip in calories so I wasn't so hungry when I started to stay under 800 net calories a day. I chose to not eat after 3pm each day so that my exercises are always fasted... I either do them in the morning before I eat or in the evening 6 hours after i've eaten.
  • stephchadz
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    OP, I'm 5'4" and have been 145 at one point in my weight loss. I found at those stats, logging had to be extremely precise. I had to stop using the salad bar at lunch and start weighing out all lunches and pre-log for the day/week. I had to shave off 100 calories every day from my deficit, so I could enjoy socializing on Saturday and not wipe out my deficit. If you're truly eating 1500 calories or below, you should be losing. Even eating 1700, you should be losing .5 lbs per week.

Thank you for sharing. It's nice to hear from someone with the same height who has been through it. I will definitely try to be more diligent with my logging and see how that goes.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'm not tiny, I'm obese and pretty much sedentary unless I'm out walking or doing short sprints to boost heart rate. I'm under dr. supervision for the low calorie intake, so that's why I make it a point to measure accurately. Today is the exception because I'm going to inlaws and don't want to be lugging my scale and glass scale bowls with me to measure everything properly. Last week I was starting to inch into the dip in calories so I wasn't so hungry when I started to stay under 800 net calories a day. I chose to not eat after 3pm each day so that my exercises are always fasted... I either do them in the morning before I eat or in the evening 6 hours after i've eaten.

Alright, as long as your doctor is aware of all of that and he/she is okay with it, more power to you! This sort of stuff is important to note, though, because an 800 cal diet without doctor supervision could actually be quite dangerous to attempt. So anyone reading that: be warned, please <3
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

Thank you for sharing. It's nice to hear from someone with the same height who has been through it. I will definitely try to be more diligent with my logging and see how that goes.

Yeah, we are on the edge of being short. I found that 145 was still not too hard, but once I hit 140 and changed my goal to .5 lbs per week, there is no room for error. TDEE in the 130s lowered quite a bit for me too and it became even tougher. Just tighten everything up as much as you can. Don't forget your condiments, oil, drinks, etc. I even started weighing my ketchup. If you're not losing, you're eating a bit too much.

Also, don't rule out the weight loss is not linear thing even though it's been a month. You might see a big drop soon, even if you're eating a bit more than you think-you may have still been in a deficit to lose .25 or .5 and it might come off over the next couple of weeks.
  • stephchadz
    Options

Yeah, we are on the edge of being short. I found that 145 was still not too hard, but once I hit 140 and changed my goal to .5 lbs per week, there is no room for error. TDEE in the 130s lowered quite a bit for me too and it became even tougher. Just tighten everything up as much as you can. Don't forget your condiments, oil, drinks, etc. I even started weighing my ketchup. If you're not losing, you're eating a bit too much.

Also, don't rule out the weight loss is not linear thing even though it's been a month. You might see a big drop soon, even if you're eating a bit more than you think-you may have still been in a deficit to lose .25 or .5 and it might come off over the next couple of weeks.

Alright. Thank your so much for the support. I really appreciate it. :smile:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm not tiny, I'm obese and pretty much sedentary unless I'm out walking or doing short sprints to boost heart rate.

You're using your HRM incorrectly.

"Boosting heart rate" means nothing for calorie burns. HRMs will massively over-estimate burns under those conditions. By "massively" I mean 3-5x higher than it "should" be.

Divide your burn numbers by 4 (or more) if you want a more accurate number.

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    stephchadz wrote:
    I'm not juicing?
    Well, you've closed your diary now so I can't quote the actual entries, but there were a couple which said
    something like "juicing, concord grapes, 8 grapes". Eat whole fruit in preference to juice (unless you're pureeing the
    fruit yourself, in which case it's as healthy as the unpureed form). Frozen grapes are a great hot-day sweet snack.

It was a big week in the office (just changed buildings), my grammys birthday and my sisters graduation
    party, (both of which were at my house so we kept leftovers) but aside from those things I usually do well.
    So you know where you're getting off-track, but are lamenting that you're not losing weight?
    Pick one.

If you want to have a bunch of snacks & not-so-healthy stuff, have at it. Just don't expect that your nutritional
    profile (or weight) will be so great after it's done. Accept it & move on, get back on track with healthier choices
    and regular exercise.
    The idea is not to starve or punish yourself or deny the tasty things forever, but to make a more balanced life -
    for good.
    I've been keeping fudgesicles in the freezer at work. 40 calories, CHOCOLATE!!!, cold on a hot bothersome
    annoying day, which (the annoying part) my closest co-worker seems to give me every time she's there.
    And for those really awful days, I have chocolate chip cookie dough. :disappointed:
    I also recognize that neither is all that good for me (other than mood).

now I'm just feeling attacked because I don't know everything there is to know about nutrition and had a not so good week.
    Not trying to attack, trying to give advice (backed with links to solid info / sources) to help you learn why you're
    stalled, or not doing as well as you seem to want.
    It comes down to: you're eating more than your body needs.
    The easiest way to change that is to eat fewer calories. The best way to do that & still feel full & satisfied is to
    eat less of the high-calorie-low-nutrition stuff and more of the lower-calorie-higher-nutrition things.
    It's a lot easier to have only 1 piece of cake (500 calories) than it is to exercise away the second (or more)
    piece, esp. when you're small & exercise doesn't burn many calories.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I'm not tiny, I'm obese and pretty much sedentary unless I'm out walking or doing short sprints to boost heart rate.

You're using your HRM incorrectly.

"Boosting heart rate" means nothing for calorie burns. HRMs will massively over-estimate burns under those conditions. By "massively" I mean 3-5x higher than it "should" be.

Divide your burn numbers by 4 (or more) if you want a more accurate number.

Yes, use a hrm for steady state cardio only.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    ashley wrote:
    I try to stay under 800 net calories a day. I also exercise for at least 15 minutes every day,
    sometimes more when I'm up to it... I didn't believe in the starvation mode either, but my weight isn't
    budging and I'm meticulous at weighing out all my food and making sure not to eat after 3pm.
    Good start on the exercise. Increase it a few minutes/day every week.
    And eating after any certain time is not what's causing you to plateau. It just happens. Keep eating to your calorie
    goal, keep exercising, and you'll start losing again. If it lasts a while, cut 50 calories & add 5 minutes of exercise.

why are you eating under 800 calories...?
    She's not. She said "800 net". Given that most people underestimate what they eat and most machines overestimate
    calories burned, ignoring exercise / net calories balances out the mistakes for most people. Net is worthless.
    From her profile picture, she's just under 300 lb (from 365, BTW - good for you!) and depending
    on the day, it looks like she has a goal of anywhere from 1100 (which is too low) to 1400 (which is a little low,
    but not bad)

As an aside to Ashley - I love the Fiber One lemon bars too! It's so hard to eat just one.
  • stephchadz
    edited July 2015
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    5 - You're very young to have a goal of 1350 calories. Are you shorter than average, or bedbound?
    From your picture, it doesn't look like you're overweight. Is your weight goal healthy? (See #3.)

I am not shorter than average or bedbound. Do you have any advice on what I should be eating for a goal?

Also I figured out the juicing thing! I miss entered my grapes this morning by mistake. oops.