Tips for combating afternoon cravings?

Options
Hello! :)

So, I do really well on tracking and staying within my calorie goals most of the day but the afternoon slump weekdays at work is when I get a lot of cravings (usually chocolate, sugar, snack foods) and it gets harder to stay on track.

Any tips for what has worked for you if you have had similar issues in the afternoon (or other times)? Thanks!

ps: new friends welcome!

Replies

• kelleyjhale
    kelleyjhale Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I love celery and apples with PB2
  • KatieK1146
    KatieK1146 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    thanks!
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I used to be craving for sweets, and decided to change my habits by eating non-sweet food as a snack in the afternoon. Like nuts, or vegetables and hummus or beef jerky, cheese, etc. It really helped a lot to get rid of what I think was - for me - just a bad habit.
  • jennifermi
    jennifermi Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I saw a article on what you really want when you crave certain things and it said if sweets then you need more fruit or nuts/seeds. Sunflower seeds work well for me (and am allowed to eat them at work)
  • DylanThomas2
    DylanThomas2 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Anytime I get a craving I look for the nearest krispy kreme doughnut shop and then burn it to the ground. Teach those dirty doughnut making *kitten* to tempt me.
  • makena78
    makena78 Posts: 162 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    It's not healthy. But, I pop some popcorn and it fills me up. I don't add anything to it and it's just plain. I get the single serving bag.
  • musicalityrnb
    musicalityrnb Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    These are some nice tips to take into consideration. That afternoon slump can really be a drag sometimes.
  • KatieK1146
    Options
    Thanks for all of these helpful tips!

Although maybe not the arson one, but it made me laugh :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    makena78 wrote: »
    It's not healthy. But, I pop some popcorn and it fills me up. I don't add anything to it and it's just plain. I get the single serving bag.

How is that not healthy?

I often bring a 120 calorie bag of popcorn to work. It's a pretty decent size and way more satisfying than 120 calories of banana or fruit.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Weekdays I normally "eat" a smoothie for lunch. It's more filling that it sounds at 461 calories, 13g of fat, 46g of carbs, 46g of protein, and 11g of fiber, plus it has most of the stuff that I should be eating. I still used to get hungry mid-afternoon, but have been okay since I started delaying eating my lunch until around 2pm. Since it's a smoothie, it's easy to get away with eating at my desk while working. I use my 30 minute lunch to walk instead of eat.

My problem is late evening, after dinner, when I'm still hungry and start thinking about what I might like to eat. I do pretty well all day long, but I'm pretty weak-willed at the end of the day.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Greek yogurt with PB2 and/or an oreo is yummy. It makes one cookie go a long way. I also eat some chocolate at work. I'll buy a bar of expensive dark chocolate, eat 2 squares, and share with my co-workers. My lunch also usually consists of 3 parts, so it's spread across the day a little and pre-logged which helps. There's usually a big salad, a yogurt with yummy fixins or the popcorn (or the chocolate), then something super low calorie like cucumbers dipped in salsa, then a late afternoon snack which is often a quest bar.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

How is that not healthy?

I often bring a 120 calorie bag of popcorn to work. It's a pretty decent size and way more satisfying than 120 calories of banana or fruit.

I agree. Also, popcorn is a good source of fiber and antioxidants, and is the perfect food for mindless munching in front of the TV because it has a lot of bulk for the calories. If you add butter and/or cook in oil you undo the low calories part though.
  • arditarose
    Options
    jim180155 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »

How is that not healthy?

I agree. Also, popcorn is a good source of fiber and antioxidants, and is the perfect food for mindless munching in front of the TV because it has a lot of bulk for the calories. If you add butter and/or cook in oil you undo the low calories part though.

Yep. I often eat a big bag to myself many nights in a row. I like volume and popcorn is an amazing bang for the calorie buck.
  • kingjabou
    kingjabou Posts: 48 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    In the mid day I like a fruit Greek yogurt (low sugar and full/low fat depending on my macros for the day) with a serving of PB2 powder, when mixed it is like a pb&j. Fixes the mid day sweet tooth.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,213 Member
    Options
    For me, these oatmeal chocolate chip "cookies" work really well. Good source of protein too. Oatmeal is my go-to food for feeling full.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10186904/ode-to-oatmeal-oatmeal-chocolate-chip-protein-cookies

9566339.png
  • LipingHZ
    LipingHZ Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with the Greek yogurt. You can add fruit or honey to sweeten it up and it's great for your breath too!
  • tamiandtoto
    tamiandtoto Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I like to have a cup of hot tea. Depending on which kind I'm in the mood for, I might add some stevia or a bit of almond milk to it. I take my time drinking it and it fills me up.
  • Mussronkey
    Mussronkey Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    At the start of the week I have a glass bowl in the refrigerator at eye level containing raw broccoli, radishes, mushrooms and carrots. When I get that bored but not really hungry temptation I snack on a handful from the bowl. It helps! For the pantry I have a similar setup but with dry roasted mixed nuts. These two blockers have helped me stay away from grabbing the bad stuff. Try it!
  • bluestar188
    bluestar188 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Mixed fruit with tajin
  • KatieK1146
    Options
    Mussronkey wrote: »
    At the start of the week I have a glass bowl in the refrigerator at eye level containing raw broccoli, radishes, mushrooms and carrots. When I get that bored but not really hungry temptation I snack on a handful from the bowl. It helps! For the pantry I have a similar setup but with dry roasted mixed nuts. These two blockers have helped me stay away from grabbing the bad stuff. Try it!

Great idea to have that stuff eye level!