Orlistat

Options
So I have been prescribed Orlistat for the first time ever due to me gaining weight and struggling to lose it, even though I eat smaller portions, walk regularly and don't snack,
I have been given 3 months supply and want to let you guys now how I get on with it and if it works etc :)
I currently weigh 14st & 10lb
Bust 40 inch
Waist 36.5 inch
Hips 47 inch
Thighs 27 inch
My aim from the drs is to lose 1 stone in the 3 months, let's hope it all goes well :)
Let me know if you've ever been on Orlistat yourselves and have any advice etc

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    They sell it without a prescription here as Allie.
    Did your doc give you any clear instructions with it or warn you about the side effects?
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    My advice is to stay near a bathroom and invest in some pads.
  • krupskaya
    krupskaya Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Be very careful to minimise the amount of fat you eat as it leaks out of your rear end otherwise (to put it bluntly!) Plus you will leave oily stains in any toilet you use which are a devil to get rid of. #embarrassment. My advice would be to ditch them and start a calorie controlled diet. Orlistat just isn't worth the side effects. Never again.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Guppcake wrote: »
    So I have been prescribed Orlistat for the first time ever due to me gaining weight and struggling to lose it, even though I eat smaller portions, walk regularly and don't snack,

But do you weigh all your food?
    My aim from the drs is to lose 1 stone in the 3 months, let's hope it all goes well :)

Yes, let's hope you don't *kitten* yourself in public!
    Let me know if you've ever been on Orlistat yourselves and have any advice etc
    I haven't used it myself, but I have read animated descriptions from people who have. My best advice is to not take those pills and just go with MFP. Read this thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I used it for a week. I never used it again. It's awful, you poop yourself without any way of controlling it and you don't really lose weight in a healthy way.

My advice? I wouldn't bother.
  • Veejohnson1990
    Veejohnson1990 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have been told and read about all the side affects, my diet doesn't include a lot of fats, I just need a better idea of what I'm eating during lunch times that include too much fat as that's my down fall, I use and actifry for all.my tea time.food and have a healthy cereal for breakfast, so I'm not too worried about having any accidents as today has gone very smoothly so far, I also have a friend who lost 2 stone on it also.
    Mainly just giving it a try as its the only one my health consultant and drs have advised so far.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Unbeknownst to many who try to use a "fat absorber" to lose weight, Orlistat or Alli doesn't discriminate about the fat it absorbs. So it absorbs good fat too. So the dilema is that if you're not eating a lot of fat (which is ESSENTIAL to optimal body function), then you still have to supplement with good fats well before taking Orlistat so it doesn't impede absorption. Lots of extra work for little results. You CANNOT lose weight without a calorie deficit, but you can while eating fat. If you're not losing weight correctly, it's because you're consuming more than you need to.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Veejohnson1990
    Options
    If I eat any less than I am already I'll be under eating, I've cut adding salt and sugar to drinks and food, the whole point of using Orlistat isbt just to lose weight but to make you aware of how much fat you are consuming, and if its making you *kitten* yourself after eating then what you've just eaten has too much fat in it, I haven't posted this thread for people to be negative(or for advice off of people who haven't taken it) but to track my personal experience, I am going by the advice my Dr and health consultant has given me.
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I will say I used it so I can give you a true opinion, I would stop using it immediately for the simple fact it can cause liver damage and other health problems that is something that wasn't disclosed when it first came out.

The next thing is if you stick to a low fat diet and follow the directions like it says it does work and I didn't have any accidents with it unless I totally over ate the amount of fats it suggest. But I say that to say if you can stick to a low fat diet you won't really need this pill, it helped me to lose a few additional pills but nothing worth taking pills with such a high risk to my liver. Hoping my liver stays healthy because I wasn't aware of the liver problems when I was originally taking doctor prescribed xenical and alli over the counter.

Best of care what ever you choose to do, a low calorie, low carb or low fat diet with lean protein, low fat dairy, fresh fruits and vegetables and whole grains in moderation is the best way to control your weight then potentially risking your health and life with any sort of diet pills including the ones your taking.
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I meant to say it helped me lose a few additional lbs.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    If I eat any less than I am already I'll be under eating, I've cut adding salt and sugar to drinks and food, the whole point of using Orlistat isbt just to lose weight but to make you aware of how much fat you are consuming, and if its making you *kitten* yourself after eating then what you've just eaten has too much fat in it, I haven't posted this thread for people to be negative(or for advice off of people who haven't taken it) but to track my personal experience, I am going by the advice my Dr and health consultant has given me.

Doctors know that in general patients are not likely to be compliant with the advice "eat at a deficit." So they prescribe drugs like Orlistat that force compliance due to nasty side effects when non-compliant.

Sounds like you think you're already eating at a deficit. Are you SURE about this? Are you scrupulously weighing and logging everything? Most people eat a lot more than they think they do.

I go over my fat gram goals just about every single day. But since I am eating at a deficit, I consistently lose a pound a week - without drugs. Took phen/fen in the 90's and that was it for weight loss drugs for me. Yes, it worked, but was it worth potentially messing up my heart? No.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

One of the reasons doctors do things like this is because of patient compliance with diets. It's often poor.

I understand that you feel as if you're already restricting your intake, I've soooo been there myself! When I started, I weighed 4 pounds more than you do now. I swore up and down to my doctor that I was eating very little and had drastically reduced my food intake as she had instructed.

Then I got a food scale and started logging my food.

Well, let me tell you, when you see, in actual numbers what you're really eating vs. what you think you're eating, it's a rather eye opening experience.

It's also an experience that leads you to losing weight. Without taking a pill without the potentially damaging and embarrassing side effects of Orlistat.

One of the saddest things I think about that drug? Not only is fat an important macronutrient for our health, some people like me find it to be important to feeling full on less food. I'd feel terribly hungry all the time on a radically low fat diet. You obviously won't know if this is true about yourself until you're using the drug... that is... if you still decide to go through with using it.

I urge you to really rethink your decision. Weighing and logging your food works. I've been where you are. I'm just about 50 pounds lighter than that now. Just from weighing and logging my food and walking.

I'm not being negative, I'm trying to be helpful.

• Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

Every time I read a post from you, I wonder why you take Orlistat in the first place. You say you eat very little fat ( which according to the scientific findings of the last years is not as good an idea as we used to think ), you say you couldn't eat any less, or you would under eat. My question is why then do you take a drug with questionable side effects ? You don't really need it.
    Orlistat will not make you aware of anything and not even of how much fat you consume, which should not be a concern of yours anyway, because as you said, you eat very little.
    You are of course 100% in your right to do with your weight loss whatever you want and I would be interested in reading regular reports on how you are doing.
    But with all due respect I would like to point out to you that this is not the way to embark on a sustainable, healthy weigh loss and health regimen.
    I personally believe that you can achieve a 1 stone loss easily by following sound MFP guidlines without having to deal with all the unpleasant side effect of Orlistat...and yes, you will have them, even if you consume little fat.
    Good Luck !

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    OP, you might want to reset your goals in your profile. Right now your ticker is saying that you want to lose 171 pounds. I certainly don't think that's what you plan to do!
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Get yourself some extra long pads to tuck in your undies. And never trust a fart. :s
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    krupskaya wrote: »
    Be very careful to minimise the amount of fat you eat as it leaks out of your rear end otherwise (to put it bluntly!) Plus you will leave oily stains in any toilet you use which are a devil to get rid of. #embarrassment. My advice would be to ditch them and start a calorie controlled diet. Orlistat just isn't worth the side effects. Never again.

Yikerz!!!O-:
  • Veejohnson1990
    Options
    Changed it, for the 2nd time now, keeps going to the wrong weight goal by quite a bit :/
  • Slinky_BraveHeartBunsOfSteel
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Get yourself some extra long pads to tuck in your undies. And never trust a fart. :s

^^^ That about sums it up! :laugh: