best books about nutrition and weight loss/fitness?

Options
13»

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    BILLBRYTAN wrote: »
    Refined Carbohydrates are like Egg Foo Yung without the Egg or the Yung, just FOO.

Now you're just trolling.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Refined Carbohydrates are like Egg Foo Yung without the Egg or the Yung, just FOO.

bufrw5nnm1lu.jpg
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options

Now you're just trolling.

Yup!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    OP asks for recommendations for books on health & fitness because they like to read, gets a couple of on-topic helpful comments, followed by two pages of trolling and folks yelling at said troll. Classic MFP.

Just because something is simple doesn't mean there isn't anything to learn by by diving deeper, and those of us who love to read are always looking for and fascinated by reading lots of different peoples' takes on a subject. Some of us <shudder> like to read... books. Even non-fiction, informational books <gasp>.

OP I hope you get more on topic replies, because it can be hard to tell if a health/fitness book is all woo or has something interesting by just reading the summary.

I wanted to second "In Defense of Food". Pollan takes his point way too far, and has become a bit of a quack in my opinion since writing it, but I still thought it was a great read. Also not specifically "Health" related, but check out "The Power of Habit" by Charles Duhigg. It explores how the brain establishes habits and what happens when the process goes off the rails. Very entertaining and informative, and I think can be applied to how to make better decisions in all areas, including eating and activity...
  • cwilso37
    cwilso37 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    The OP deserves to know what is healthy, not just how to reduce numbers.

And what your suggesting as healthy has no scientific basis, just garbage thrown around by the fad diet community.
    The fad diet I proclaim is to eliminate refined, processed and denatured chemical poisons which are laughingly called food because they are yummy.

I am not quite sure you know what the words toxins and poisons actually mean. Normally when someone wishes to impart knowledge they do so not using obscure terms or terms that are just catchalls used to scared people. Also when asked for a site people tend to try to offer the best site they have, to offer such a site as you did tends to indicate you might need to rethink your stance.

To press the point I randomly selected a pill they are selling: The daily balancer

100% of Americans tested at random were found to be accumulating potent toxins in their fat – this is the nature of the pollution problem facing everyone. Never in evolution have we been exposed to so many chemicals in our air, water, and food. Do not be a passive participant in this rather cruel experiment. Daily Balancer™ is our premier liver and detoxification support product. You do not have to let poisons accumulate over the course of your life – protect yourself. Daily Balancer™ provides essential nutrition to help your body properly take out the trash.*

Just reading this should scare you. It tells you nothing of what it is or actually does (though odds are its just a sugar pill in its own right). Rethink this site and what it tells you.

Hopefully this can now go back to actual useful and interesting books cause I would like to know as well
    ^_^
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    The Calorie Myth: how to lose weight, exercise less, and Live better
    Deep Nutrition: why your genes need traditional food by, Catherine Shanahan MD
  • millsrobm
    millsrobm Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Georgie Fear's Lean Habits book is good; I'd recommend Alan Aragon's Lean Muscle Diet. Alan knows his stuff.
  • Jocampgrl
    Jocampgrl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Trim Healthy Mama by Serene Allison and Pearl Barrett is a great book!! Ignore the "Mama" part of the title as it is good info for anyone. The authors researched over 20 diet plans and explain what food does in the body. helps to clarify food as a fuel source and your purpose in eating. you choose foods based on what your body needs. The only "hard fast" rule, unless you are an extreme athlete. is not to eat fat and carbs together. The first half of their book explains the science between most of the diets they researched. very informative if you want an overall view.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    If you're not into calorie counting, then "Lean Habits for Lifelong Weight Loss" is great. If you're into calorie counting, it's still a good book as far as nutrition goes.

I just started reading it. I heard the author Georgie Fear as a guest on a podcast and was impressed enough to buy her book. I like it so far. I haven't quit counting calories, macros and micros, but I can see how establishing her recommended habits could produce the desired effects without having to count calories.

For others that haven't heard of the book, Georgie Fear talks about establishing good eating habits to get and stay lean. There are four core habits, and then about a dozen smaller ones to add to the four over time. She recommends practicing each habit for 14 days before moving on to the next. Also she encourages you to scale down the habits so that you're reasonably confident that you'll be able to meet your criteria 90% to 100% of the time. The four core habits are:

1. Eat three to four meals a day with no food in between meals. I scale this one back to allow for 300 calories in snacks. I gotta have some snacks. But I don't necessarily have to have 900 calories in peanuts while mindlessly munching in front of the TV.
    2. Master your hunger. Wait 30 to 60 minutes after feeling hungry before you start eating.
    3. Eat just enough to feel satiated. Eat slowly and stop when you no longer feel hungry.
    4. Eat mostly whole foods. It's okay to have some treats, but around 80% of your food should be unprocessed, whole foods.

CICO still applies, but I think using her methods eliminates the need for counting calories. It also makes it easier to deal with eating at restaurants or with friends and family when you don't know the caloric content of what you're eating.

I'm still counting calories while I start implementing the core habits. If and as my confidence level rises, I may stop counting calories and trust the lean habits to get me where I want to go.
  • Jordan
    Jordan Posts: 307 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

Best regards,
    Michelle
    MyFitnessPal Staff
This discussion has been closed.