? can you really save calories and use them later

Options

Replies

• kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Feel free to look at my dairy. Today I'm 434 calories over budget, but for the week I'm still 304 under. I log as accurately as possible. Today includes several guesses because we went out for my brother's birthday to a local pizza joint and my sister made cheesecake. But the point is, if I stayed on target tomorrow, I'd still expect to lose as usual because I'm not going over my weekly goal. Everything I've eaten is logged on the day I ate it and nothing has been left out.
  • Blondie9292
    Blondie9292 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Most days I am on a 1200 calorie diet and most days after the calories I burn are taken into account I come in under the mark.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Most days I am on a 1200 calorie diet and most days after the calories I burn are taken into account I come in under the mark.

Well that's not exactly what we're talking about either. If your goal is 1200 calories, you should be eating your exercise calories back for sure.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I eat 200-250 under my daily goal so i have extra Cala to use on the weekend.

Though I have to say, now that they did that terrible update on my iphone it's been crazy frustrating to figure out how many cals I have left for the weekend!
  • arditarose
    Options

Though I have to say, now that they did that terrible update on my iphone it's been crazy frustrating to figure out how many cals I have left for the weekend!

Yeah...why is this? I feel like it doesn't give me an accurate count or something. And then I have this bar graph the color of poop with a calorie breakdown of my meals across that week that I could care less about.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Idk if the iPhone app is like the android, but on mine you can tap the bars on the graph and the daily amounts show. There is no way to know that though unless you're told or you stumble on it like I did. Otherwise, it's just numberless bars.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Yeah...why is this? I feel like it doesn't give me an accurate count or something. And then I have this bar graph the color of poop with a calorie breakdown of my meals across that week that I could care less about.

Switch to "net" and the view changes a bit, I find it easier to look at. I go by my weekly average also and it makes me insane that it doesn't give the running total of calories for the week anymore. I can do the math, but when I'm staring down 1/2 a pizza or a sheet cake - it's do or die and I need some quick data!
  • arditarose
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »

Switch to "net" and the view changes a bit, I find it easier to look at. I go by my weekly average also and it makes me insane that it doesn't give the running total of calories for the week anymore. I can do the math, but when I'm staring down 1/2 a pizza or a sheet cake - it's do or die and I need some quick data!

Wait...I think it gives me the running total still...No? Maybe I already have it switched to net. I just don't like how it looks.

I actually don't math so I go in and quick add approximately how many calories I'll eat each day for the week.
  • slaite1
    Options

Wait...I think it gives me the running total still...No? Maybe I already have it switched to net. I just don't like how it looks.

I actually don't math so I go in and quick add approximately how many calories I'll eat each day for the week.

Total is poop brown and broken my meal, net is green and red (when under weekly view), at least for me. I have a weekly average, and that's correct. Then I have calories under weekly goal and it literally says "2" right now (I have been banking calories all week and have thousands left). I have no running total.

Ive been on MFP for years and have tried other apps, switching is too hard after all this time. But I really hate 90% of the updates.

Sorry, OP. Got sidetracked! You can totally bank calories or cycle calories throughout the week. I even did this on contest prep for a figure competition and got crazy lean. It all evens out :smile:
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

You still get a running total?! That's not fair!

My "calories under weekly goal" should say in the 3000's right now, instead it's says 100 and some! I don't even know WHERE they are getting that number from!
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Yes you can its about balance. If I know I'm going to be going out or eating out I save as far in advance as a month. After all s day doesn't change much i look st my weekly/monthly calories
  • arditarose
    Options

You still get a running total?! That's not fair!

My "calories under weekly goal" should say in the 3000's right now, instead it's says 100 and some! I don't even know WHERE they are getting that number from!

Wait wait maybe I don't. I never looked at the total much. I would just look at how many I had left.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Calories are units of energy you get from food.
    They don't bank aside of your body banks them as fat.
    So yes, you can bank lots of calories! That is why most of us are here.
    Yes, this. This is exactly what I thought when I saw the thread title.
  • slaite1
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »

I think you guys are missing the concept behind banking or saving calories. But to each their own :smile:
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »

I think you guys are missing the concept behind banking or saving calories. But to each their own :smile:

No kidding. I eat 100 fewer today so I can eat 100 more tomorrow. It works fine.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »

Why not just record accurately what you intake and let it all work out.

Those that claim to bank calories say it all works out that way too. So why falsify your intake.

I don't see why do it. Just record what you actually do. If you don't, then you won't be able to see if it actually really does work out.

I don't think anyone is suggesting people record inaccurately. Just that they eat (and record) a bit less for several days so they can have a bigger calorie count on certain days without going over their weekly goal. They're just splitting up their weekly calories in unequal parts. For example my daily goal is 1500 calories. That's 10500 per 7 day period. Rather than eating 1500 every day, I may eat 1400 for 6 days and eat 2100 on 1 day. The weekly total is still 10500. I'm still in a deficit and I haven't falsified anything.

What she said.
    yap

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You don't 'bank' anything. You just burn more calories for a few days then might gain a bit of weight back for a day when you eat more, but it will average out in the end.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I bank cals during the week for the weekend. ..it works just fine :smile:
  • Conspiracy19
    Conspiracy19 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I don't drink myself but I wanted to know this too :) I'm going for a meal for my sister's engagement soon and I just know I'll overeat then. This is good to know :smile:
  • Blondie9292
    Blondie9292 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys I appreciate everyone's response!