ankylosing spondylitis or other joint disorders

Options
Hi. I usually dont do the whole forum thing but here lately i came to realize it would be beneficial to reach out to others who may also suffer with AS or other diseases that attack the joints.
I was diagnosed about 1 1/2 years ago. I have significant pain in both my knees and also a frequent suffer of rib cage pain primarily on the left side. I also show degeneration of my hip joints as well.
My biggest obstacle has recently been getting over the verge of exhaustion i often have. my job requires long hours and on my days off i tend to just be unbearably tired and as of late i have not been exercising as I previously was. yoga has been one of the best exercises i ever done along with weights and the elliptical since i cant do much that requires a lot of impact on my knees.
sleep is another issue i have as well. im a light sleeper to begin with and i never feel like i sleep enough.
I would like to make some friends who also suffer with AS or similar joint disorders- i could use the help and motivation and hope i can help and motivate back.

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Hope you are able to manage your AS. After having it over 40 years I just learned about coconut oil and living in a state of ketosis and both are helping with the pain.
  • FatherOfAlex
    FatherOfAlex Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just created a group for AS. Surprised one didn't already exist. Feel free to join. I just figured it would be a good way to find and provide support. Search for "Ankylosing Spondylitis/Rheumatoid Arthritis" in groups.
  • cpp_happy
    cpp_happy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My husband has AS, has for 15 years (he's 34 now). He recently started eating low carb, more "paleo" approach then not. He also focuses a lot of digestive health (bone broth, apple cider vinegar, digestive bitters). He's been eating this way for 3-4 months now and he'll often comment to me about how he feels better than he has in years! It's been a great improvement and our quality of life has dramatically increased (he was able to go on a hike with me today).
    Hope that you find great support here and some answers/ changes that help you :)
  • winram11
    winram11 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with AS when I was 23, and had a hip replacement as a result of incredible pain and calcification of my right hip. The surgery for that was 18 years ago!

I have "survived" since then on NSAIDs but they have largely just helped the symptoms not the causes. Because I was largely sedentary, I never really considered a diet for helping this stuff.

Shortly after that I changed to the biologics and they've changed my life - and my wallet weight (sigh). While Remicade costs me a fortune, the benefits are like night and day. I'm basically normal again, after all this time.

After a few years on Remicade I decided that "life's too short" and figured I'd go back to being as active as I can be again - hip replacement kind of limits a few things, but I used to be thin before I was basically turned into a walking ball of ouch. As of now, 13 months on plan, I've lost 103 pounds and lowest weight I've been since high school, and working on small goals at this point - building muscle, losing 10 more pounds, that kind of thing.

AS is always on my mind though, and I never take my mobility for granted. I'd love to hear diets that help out in this regard.

To the OP: Sleep is very much an enemy. I found that I always had to be moving to be comfortable - like a cheesy vibrating bed almost is best for sleep, you know? But if I get sore and tense overnight I wake up, and waking up isn't restful sleep. Yes, sometimes painkillers for bed is necessary. I used to go heavy on my NSAIDs for night time and skimp out during the day, because at night this is when you need it.