Fruits for weight loss?

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Fruits good once or twice a day especially after a workout for hydration and energy but monitor the number of carbs you are getting all day. Excess carbohydrates store as fat so yes over eating fruit can in turn make you gain weight

Excess carbs do not make people fat. Excess calories do.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Am sure everyones said it but they have calories in them eat more than you need and you gain.
    Fruits can be filling and highly nutritious.
  • MynameisChester
    MynameisChester Posts: 107 Member
    It's true that excess calories will lead to weight gain. However, calories are just a part of the story. Calorie quality, hormonal responses to certain macronutrients and stress levels, and activity level are among other factors that play a role in fat loss as well. Fruit contains fiber, water, and are nutrient dense. Most of all, they are filling which may cause you to consume less calories over the long term, thus resulting in weight loss.=)
  • 2bfit_2015
    2bfit_2015 Posts: 42 Member
    I have lost 40lbs eating mostly fruits and veggies (carbs Are over 65% of my diet) and I have more energy when I eat this way versus any other way. Obviously I still have other foods on top of that, it's just that I prefer carbs more. I also eat in a deficit and exercise on top of that so I don't worry so much about how much carbs I eat. Good luck.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Meselele wrote: »
    Goodevening Family,,
    can eating fruits cause me to gain weight? I love them soo much but I feel like the way I am eating them its gonna hinder my progress, I eat apples mostly
    Yes, eating fruits can cause you to gain weight if doing so puts you over your maintenance calorie level.

This.

It's never a food in and of itself that causes weight gain, it's going over your daily maintenance calories that does that. :)

Everything in moderation.
  • StephanieOugh2014
    StephanieOugh2014 Posts: 35 Member
    A good approach is making sure you always eat as much or more vegetables as fruit.
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Fruit is wonderful: full of nutrients and fibre. It's filling and delicious.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Meselele wrote: »
    Goodevening Family,,
    can eating fruits cause me to gain weight? I love them soo much but I feel like the way I am eating them its gonna hinder my progress, I eat apples mostly

Yes
  • Healthexp693
    Healthexp693 Posts: 17 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    bobby19666 wrote: »
    It's the sugar not calories. Sugar raises insulin to store fat. Eat low gi fruits like apples not bananas or melon

Nope. You can eat 1200 calories of bananas and lose weight. You might be considered insane (looks at specific bloggers) and miss your fat/protein macros by a long shot, but it's still about CICO.

Your physiology is more complicated than that. Yes it is true that ingestion of simple sugars will cause a spike in insulin and promote fat storage, whereas the same calories consumed as complex carbohydrates will not cause such a surge in insulin. Fat storage is regulated by a number of factors including hormones, metabolism etc. One cannot promote a healthy weight long term by eating tiny amounts of junk food. What you eat is very important.
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    It's the sugar not calories. Sugar raises insulin to store fat. Eat low gi fruits like apples not bananas or melon

Nope. You can eat 1200 calories of bananas and lose weight. You might be considered insane (looks at specific bloggers) and miss your fat/protein macros by a long shot, but it's still about CICO.

#freelee
  • VisionBoardCoach
    VisionBoardCoach Posts: 43 Member
    edited July 2015
    I eat fruits and veggies...think it's more about balance and common sense. If you eat ONLY fruit, then add variety ... and STAY POSITIVE! :-)
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member

Your physiology is more complicated than that. Yes it is true that ingestion of simple sugars will cause a spike in insulin and promote fat storage, whereas the same calories consumed as complex carbohydrates will not cause such a surge in insulin. Fat storage is regulated by a number of factors including hormones, metabolism etc. One cannot promote a healthy weight long term by eating tiny amounts of junk food. What you eat is very important.

I agree that eating a varied, balanced, and whole food (good Gods I hate that term) based diet is important, but the bolted part is just... plain wrong. As long as you control those craving and don't put yourself over your maintenance calories, you will loose weight/stay your weight. Living solely off of junk food is definitely not healthy, though, as you will be missing out on essential macro- and micro neutrients. If you stick to eating varied and balanced, you'll hit your micros and macros and you will be golden nutricionally too, that is the takeaway. But you can definitely loose weight to needle size on cheeseburgers alone. You are just going to end up (really) sick. Everything in moderation :smile:
  • Healthexp693

Wrong. De novo lipogenesis does not factor into the energy picture for people in a caloric deficit. In fact, the process is quite inefficient even when not in a caloric deficit.

See. e.g., http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10365981

This article is from 1999. There are serious methodological issues with measuring de novo lipogenesis in humans in 1999. More recent evident suggests de novo lipogenesis can be promoted with intake of simple sugars
  • Healthexp693

I agree that eating a varied, balanced, and whole food (good Gods I hate that term) based diet is important, but the bolted part is just... plain wrong. As long as you control those craving and don't put yourself over your maintenance calories, you will loose weight/stay your weight. Living solely off of junk food is definitely not healthy, though, as you will be missing out on essential macro- and micro neutrients. If you stick to eating varied and balanced, you'll hit your micros and macros and you will be golden nutricionally too, that is the takeaway. But you can definitely loose weight to needle size on cheeseburgers alone. You are just going to end up (really) sick. Everything in moderation :smile:

Have you used that approach and been successful? Eating cheeseburgers everyday?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

Insulin signals storing fat inside the cell that receives the signal. The alternative isn't that fat wanders off and disappears from your body, the alternative is the fat wanders around in your blood stream until another cell takes it up. Hence, the triglyceride number for cholesterol - those are free floating fat molecules. Cells taking up fat is a GOOD thing.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member

I ate healthy yesterday...lean meats, veggies, fiber. So does the bowl of ice cream I had after I made sure I hit my fat/macro targets negate the rest of my day, even though I was under my calorie goal?