Moderation

Options
Eat what you want but in moderation. Does this actually work in losing weight? I like to stop depriving and eat what I want but need to figure out how to start this moderation without going crazy with it. Does it mean I can have a bagel once in awhile lol? with cream cheese?

Replies

• kalbo798
    kalbo798 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If you have the self control to do so. I have no self control so I choose a method that works for me.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Yes. But you have to weigh the bagel and the cream cheese and log it correctly. And make it fit in your day.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can have a bagel. I have found mini bagels which are right around 100 calories. Half a regular bagel is about 120 calories. You can even add a bit of cream cheese, I use the light cream cheese for a few less calories. Check out the calorie count of what it is that you want and figure it into your daily calorie count. I will sometimes have only half a serving if I feel a whole serving is too high. Instead of getting a big candy bar, look for the snack size, many of them are right around 100 calories each, the snack size Pay Day is only 90 calories. I check the serving size on the packaging, often times a serving of cookies or crackers is several, have only one or two and the calorie count is not that high. I figure I am not going to avoid everything I like for the rest of my life but I can be satisfied with smaller portions. Some things I find are not as good as I thought they were and I will give them up completely, sodas for example.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Calories are a little like money.
    If I have five hundred dollars, I can choose to divvy it up certain ways:
    to buy two new pairs of shoes, to buy food, to got to a few restaurants, and to buy gas. If I also want to buy a piece of jewelry, something will have to be postponed. I decide to buy the jewelry and buy only one pair of shoes.
    Definitely get the cream cheese. :)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Yes i've lost all my weight while enjoying the foods i love . Use a food scale, learn portions.
  • Kr15by
    Kr15by Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Yes, as long as it fits your macros for the day you can eat what you like. I eat low carbs during the week and then pig out on bagels on a Friday during a carb load (I literally ate 12 of them yesterday plus pancakes :D ) and still lose weight. I don't recommend eating that many bagels eveyday but if your training and diet is right you don't have to always deprive yourself of food you like.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Well...

How did you eat before?

Having a terribly unbalanced diet in moderation is not optimal to starting a new healthy lifestyle.

And your idea of moderation may still be too many calories

A good balance diet of the proper calorie amount is a start. Add in progressively challenging exercise and you are on the way.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Does it mean I can have a bagel once in awhile lol? with cream cheese?

Yes, most definitely. But, as stated above, you've got to be honest and weigh the bagel and cream cheese, then log it. For the rest of the day, you'll need to exercise moderation and eat lower calorie foods to meet your calorie goals. You can also add some exercise to give yourself more calories to eat on that day.
    It's all about finding the way to be responsible for what you eat. You can do this. It just takes awhile to get used to thinking responsibly about food.

• Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Yes it works. But you have to be honest as others have already said.

Having a portioned piece of cake and making it fit in with your day is fine. Having half a cake, and calling it one piece, is only going to end in no loss or gains.

Depravation doesn't work for many people. You could even try "banking" some calories over a couple of days, then having the extra bagel as a treat on the next day. Your net calories consumed at the end of the week would be the same.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Yes, in moderation. I have not eliminated any food from my life. I just keep track of everything and "budget" if I plan to splurge. Remember, this is NOT a diet. We need to find a balance that we can live with for life. If you eliminate things and then lose the weight, you cannot go back to the way you used to eat. So, allow yourself to have the things you want, within reason, and keep track of them.
  • onthemesa
    onthemesa Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm not for eliminating favourites, but I have found some things are so calorie dense for how little I get to eat, they get replaced with lower calorie stuff without me really noticing.
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation is brilliant but if you have trigger foods it can be difficult. I love peanut butter but know I can't restrict the portions and if it's in the house will make lots of toast to put it on so I don't keep it in the house - most other things I can make fit without issue
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The way I looked at it is that I couldn't imagine never eating the things I liked. So when I crave something, I have two options really... either have a little bit, or not have any (eating too much of it just is not an option). And having none is sad... so I go with moderation.

Plus really, it's when I stop restricting that I end up going nuts the next time the food is in front of me.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you define "moderation" and everyone defines it differently. But sure, of course it can work, given the right definition.

Just watch the calories and you lose. :)
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    onthemesa wrote: »
    I'm not for eliminating favourites, but I have found some things are so calorie dense for how little I get to eat, they get replaced with lower calorie stuff without me really noticing.

This is so true!

I had to quit buying mixed nuts. Too calorie dense and easy to snarf down. 1/4 cup in not a portion, it is a tease.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I eat bagel thins and whipped cream cheese about 2 days a week. 160-200 cals depending on the weight and how much cream cheese you use.