Extreme weight loss/wondering how to avoid loose skin

Options
I am 5 feet and 7 inches tall, 21 years old, and at my highest weight I was 268.5 pounds. It has been 2 months and 2 weeks and I've lost 28 lbs. My goal weight for now is 150. I've done a complete 180 on my eating and walk everyday. But I've just recently done a bit of research because every now and then I look at before and after photos of people who have lost 100+ lbs and one main concern was the loose skin. I have read that loosing it slow helps to give the skin time to shrink, starting weight training and toning early helps prevent loose skin and that only doing cardio is a cause, and moisturizing. I was just looking on here to see if anyone has found these to be true and if there are any other tips, or if loose skin is inevitable?

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,522 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on genetics. I didn't have so much to lose, but I took some time to reach my goal. Every time when I thought my skin was getting a bit loose I took a break for 2-6 weeks and let things settle in. That usually was sufficient for me. Mind you, I'm about twice as old as you. Your skin should theoretically be more forgiving.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Genetics. I don't have loose skin after 63 pounds. I didn't apply any special creams, get massages, lost the first 30 pretty quickly, didn't weight train at all at first, didn't do anything they say affects it.

Congrats on your loss to date! I don't know how much control you have over it, but being so young will help with elasticity.
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I went from 268 lbs to 110 lbs I did do it over about 2 years but I a hellova lot older than you 52 and thankfully I have very little issue with sagging/loose skin.

I think taking it slow is really helpful, staying well hydrated too, keeping up with extras such as a good moisturizer, maybe try dry brushing to increase circulation and all the other things you mention particularly strength training will stand you in good stead for the best outcome. Do yourself another favour and stay out of the sun as much as possible...UV really does take it's toll on our skin.

That said you have youth on your side!!!! Yay, such a positive....genetics do play a roll in how much sag you have and Yo-yo dieting is hell on making the skin lose it's suppleness so does pregnancy.

Another thing too....it takes well into the 2 year mark after you reach your goal for your skin to settle down....before that you really can't tell what the final outcome will be. No matter what though, I don't regret the sagging that I do have....it is much better than being overweight.

Good luck.
  • hgrenier2015
    hgrenier2015 Posts: 16 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thank you! I've worked hard and I'm starting to slow down and not kill myself. I read a lot about genetics too. My father has gone up and down in weight for years and he never had a problem. As for my mother, she was under different circumstances which made her lose fast but I can't ever remember her having too much extra skin, but I think she had a little. I'm seeing that pace has a lot to do with it. I'm really hoping that I have genetics on my side on this one!! I just know I'll go from being insecure about being fat to being insecure about have extra skin. And congratulations on your weight loss!
  • hgrenier2015
    Options
    Hi there,

I went from 268 lbs to 110 lbs I did do it over about 2 years but I a hellova lot older than you 52 and thankfully I have very little issue with sagging/loose skin.

I think taking it slow is really helpful, staying well hydrated too, keeping up with extras such as a good moisturizer, maybe try dry brushing to increase circulation and all the other things you mention particularly strength training will stand you in good stead for the best outcome. Do yourself another favour and stay out of the sun as much as possible...UV really does take it's toll on our skin.

That said you have youth on your side!!!! Yay, such a positive....genetics do play a roll in how much sag you have and Yo-yo dieting is hell on making the skin lose it's suppleness so does pregnancy.

Another thing too....it takes well into the 2 year mark after you reach your goal for your skin to settle down....before that you really can't tell what the final outcome will be. No matter what though, I don't regret the sagging that I do have....it is much better than being overweight.

Good luck.

What is dry brushing? And awesome for you!! That's such a great accomplishment, I love hearing extreme weight loss stories. Yes, I also read something about staying out of the sun as well, which I won't have much of a problem with (too damn hot where I live).

I'm glad I've started young, I really want to make a lifestyle change instead of just a temporary diet if that makes any sense. I do have one child, I gained most of my weight after pregnancy. My tummy filled in the loose skin I had after birth but I do remember I had a little skin hang. Maybe now it will shrink with me, who knows.

I guess I'll just keep going how I'm going and pace myself, no need to rush. I'll get there eventually. You've all made me feel much better. Another big thanks!
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I've heard that for some it's difficult to loose the lose skin after you loose the weight. Exercise helps tighten things up to some degree.
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hgreiner2015,

Dry brushing is using a shower brush with either bristles or loofah style before you get in the water. The principle behind it is to give yourself a vigorous but not painful massage to help stimulate circulation. I did do it....not everyday and probably that is a better way to go as you could damage skin tissue....If nothing else is was invigorating, did seem to make the skin glow and increase the blood flow.....

Because it was cheap and easy to do I thought why the Hell not it can't hurt - as long as you are careful with the intensity. Ooh, another product that I seen many ladies rave about is Bio-oil....many say that they have had excellent results using this product....I have used it too but found that it wasn't worth the expense when a decent moisturizer did pretty had pretty much the same benefits, so that may be something to investigate.

Thanks for the shout out about my weight loss that's very kind. I love your attitude about you wanting this to become a way of life - a sustainable enjoyable way to live life to the fullest. It will be that realistic attitude and patience that will see you triumph.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    You can not avoid loose skin

it depends on a couple of fact/factors
    genetic/age/how long overweight/how much overweight etc

Your skin can ( CAN!!!!) shrink back till two years after you stop losing weight.

I know a lot of people are worried about it.
    I know it isnt pretty

For people with a partner like mine...he will love you, excess skin or not.
    For people that are worried about a future partner....talk about your worries even with your "new" partner...when in love he or she will love you anyway :)
    For yourself think of this, you are the only one who sees it. You have to be proud of the journey you have gone through.
    And think like me..(always positive it makes life easier)
    I WILL REALLY LOOK SO AWESOME IN A DRESS/JEANS OR SKIRT.... nobody sees my excess skin in clothes!

Love your self people it makes life so much easier.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Genetics....age...how long you carried your extra weight...the list of things you can't change.

Lifting , moisturizing, a good diet and time can help to some extent.

I went from my highest of 97 kg , 15 yrs ago to 57kg now o a 5'1'' frame. And I carried my weight mostly on my front torso and for over 30 yrs. My skin couldn't go back. I had a breast lift with ski removal last October and a tummy and ab lift a month ago to get rid of my ab flaps and my stomach overhang. I'm still healing, but it was worth it. Can't wait to go running without the extra bounce on my front side!

Others have lost more and had little loose skin. I did not belong to that category.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Skin elasticity declines with age, and also with the length of time that skin is stretched, so lose the weight relatively quickly. :+1: Skin can take up to 2 years to snap back after losing weight, so it may be more noticeable during that time compared with losing it slowly. But after the 2 years you'll have less loose skin. Makes sense?

• Bearoniman
    Bearoniman Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm currently at around a little over 80 lbs lost with another 20 or 30 on the way and had the same concerns that your having about loose skin and still do to an extent. However, like alot of people have commented here, its your mindset that will set whether your ok with it or not. a picture I saw on Facebook can help demonstrate maybe?
    pyt0bibblbdz.jpg
  • samistarz
    samistarz Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've lost just over 50lbs give or take for fluctuations and I do have extra skin, especially on my chest (deflated-sad face) and on my belly. I try to do exercises to help and use moisturiser but I can't help feeing that this will never get my skin back to firm, it's beyond that. So I'm patiently waiting on this 2 years to bounce back thing. As other folk have said, take it as a sign of your achievement and if it doesnt bounce back or you aren't happy then maybe consider surgery?
  • hgrenier2015
    Options
    Thank you all. I guess I'll have to see how it turns out and just work on my attitude of myself as I go. I am married and he does say he would love me no matter what, but I want to love myself too. So, I guess the whole weight loss thing really is a journey within yourself! I've been heavy my whole life, I've been at my heaviest for about two years now. I just have to tell myself no matter the end result, I've still accomplished something big and I will love it no matter what.