best exercise for reducing waist size please ??

Options
Comment please.. :)

Replies

• missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Putting the fork down.
    Pushing away from the table.
    Cutting portion sizes.
    Some physical activity a few times a week.

As you lose weight (through a caloric deficit), you'll lose waist size. As you exercise, you'll reshape your body.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Have you had a chance to read through those helpful posts stickied to the top of each section. There's some great information there, but this one in particular might be a good starting point: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • Horrorfox
    Horrorfox Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    missh1967 wrote: »
    Putting the fork down.
    Cutting portion sizes.

As you lose weight (through a caloric deficit), you'll lose waist size. As you exercise, you'll reshape your body.

@missh1967 ^^^^

You can't target where to lose weight, and there is no magical method. Buy a food scale, track your calories, eat good nutrient dense food, and stay at a deficit. Apply moderate exercise (I recommend strength training), and voila, eventually you'll lose weight.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    missh1967 wrote: »
    Putting the fork down.
    Cutting portion sizes.

^^^^ this. Pushing away from the table is really good exercise. :smiley:
  • samistarz
    samistarz Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above comments but some people say hula hooping can work the muscles around your waist or certain Kettlebell exercises :)
  • jasminerz2015
    jasminerz2015 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    samistarz wrote: »
    I agree with the above comments but some people say hula hooping can work the muscles around your waist or certain Kettlebell exercises :)

Thanx hey :)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    You can work the muscles around your waist all you want but if you're not losing the fat over them then your waist won't really change! So calorie deficit, total body work outs and patience will reduce your waist.
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    This seems misleading to me. You can get your measurements to change by exercising more. But you probably need to cut calories to lose weight. (Unless you're so close to maintenance that your exercise puts you into a deficit.)
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Exercise....... lift heavy. weights, body weight, etc... and progressively lift heavier.. many lifting programs out there. and NO you will not look bulky.
    You also need a calorie deficit.
    Above is a good thread to check out. (you want a nice stomach)
  • LuckyStar813
    LuckyStar813 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I did hula hoop type exercises with dance moves like salsa and belly dance. Lot's of torso twisting. This really helped tone my middle and has given me a more defined waistline. It has not helped reduce any belly fat perse. So if you add these exercises along with lowering your calories.... you should see some changes!
  • Healthexp693
    Healthexp693 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    To lose fat you need to do cardio at least 6 times a week. At least30min each session. Try doing in morning before breakfast
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    To lose fat you need to do cardio at least 6 times a week. At least30min each session. Try doing in morning before breakfast

Completely untrue.
  • jasminerz2015
    jasminerz2015 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Completely untrue.

Wats untrue abt that??
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

Completely untrue.

Wats untrue abt that??

Weight loss comes from a caloric deficit; not doing cardio 6 times a week (and it certainly doesn't have to be 30 minutes every time).

Doing it in the morning has no different effect than doing it on the evening.

I suggest you read the stickies.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    You have to lose fat overall. You can't spot train one area. It doesn't work like that, unfortunately. If it did, we'd all have a 24-inch waist.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Completely untrue.

Wats untrue abt that??

Cardio does not make you lose fat. A calorie defecit helps you lose fat.
    Yes, you can increase your defecit by burning more calories, but the way MFP works is that you are supposed to eat back exercise calories.
    You do need to have enough calories for your organs and body in general to survive. Eating 1200 calories but increasing your defecit through workouts can be really harmful for your body.

Completely untrue.

Wats untrue abt that??

Weight loss comes from a caloric deficit; not doing cardio 6 times a week (and it certainly doesn't have to be 30 minutes every time).

Doing it in the morning has no different effect than doing it on the evening.

I suggest you read the stickies.

This is also true. Reading the stickies is great advice.
  • Jayblonde96
    Jayblonde96 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I try to eat the minimum of 1200 and I have lost a few inches by the workouts I do everyday on top of that.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    You don't choose where you gain weight so it is equally choose you cannot choose where you lose it, hula hopping and twisting ab exercises included.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    No exercise will reduce the size of your waist. That would be spot reduction and that is not possible. The body loses fat all over, not just from one area at a time. The only way to lose fat is to eat a calorie deficit, but again, the fat will come from all over the body and where and at what rate is determined by your genetics.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Well no. Calorie deficit is really all that's needed. Exercise is for health and fitness.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png