50/30/20 Macro

Options
vickihuk
vickihuk Posts: 29 Member
Hey, I've recently started following the 50 /30/20 rule in order to lose fat and gain lean muscle. If anyone is doing the same and wants to share ideas please add and look at my diary. Vicki x

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    It's unlikely that you are going to build muscle in a deficit. Your diary isn't open.
  • vickihuk
    Options
    Hi Isaack not sure what you mean? I want to lose body fat but gain muscle (I am training)...? I'll open my diary up now
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    vickihuk wrote: »
    Hi Isaack not sure what you mean? I want to lose body fat but gain muscle (I am training)...? I'll open my diary up now

I'll explain as best as I can.

To lose weight, you need to eat in a caloric deficit. This means you eat less calories than your body needs to maintain it's weight.

To gain weight, you need to eat in a caloric surplus. This means you eat more calories than your body needs to maintain it's weight.

Muscle building can happen in a deficit with certain situations such as;
    • Gender (this is pretty important; females have less testosterone than men)
    • Whether you're new to lifting or returning
    • Body fat percentage
  • vickihuk
    Options
    I think I know what you mean Issak - I'm not bothered about what the scales say, it's more about lowering body fat % and gaining lean muscle. It seems to be working. I've been training full on for about 3 months. Scales have hardly moved but I do look very different.
  • Kr15by
    Kr15by Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I follow the same macros for dropping fat. For me those macros work best
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    I'll just leave you to it then, good luck lol
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    50/30/20 what? Personally I'd go be grams not percentages....maintain protein and fat as much as possible and manipulate carbs to suit your goals.
  • Kr15by
    Kr15by Posts: 78 Member
    Options

To lose weight, you need to eat in a caloric deficit. This means you eat less calories than your body needs to maintain it's weight.

To gain weight, you need to eat in a caloric surplus. This means you eat more calories than your body needs to maintain it's weight.

• Body fat percentage

Not entirely true. If you are still consuming enough protein and carbs, you can still drop fat and build some muscle during a deficit. It's not easy and you won't gain a lot but it is achievable.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    Kr15by wrote: »

• Body fat percentage

Not entirely true. If you are still consuming enough protein and carbs, you can still drop fat and build some muscle during a deficit. It's not easy and you won't gain a lot but it is achievable.

Which part isn't entirely true? Highlight that for me.
  • vickihuk
    Options
    50/30/20 what? Personally I'd go be grams not percentages....maintain protein and fat as much as possible and manipulate carbs to suit your goals.

How much protein would you say for me?- I'm 152 pounds. I've read somewhere that you should aim for 1g of protein for each 1lb you weigh - not sure if I could manage that ha! I'm currently aiming for 1400 cals per day. So do you think I should replace some carbs for fat? That seems mad. Can you look at my diary?
  • vickihuk
    Options
    It's a bloody minefield
  • IsaackGMOON
    edited July 2015
    Options

How much protein would you say for me?- I'm 152 pounds. I've read somewhere that you should aim for 1g of protein for each 1lb you weigh - not sure if I could manage that ha! I'm currently aiming for 1400 cals per day. So do you think I should replace some carbs for fat? That seems mad. Can you look at my diary?

It's generally 0.6g-0.8g of protein per lb of body mass.

0.4-0.45g of fat per lb of body mass.

Fill the rest of your calories with carbs.
  • vickihuk
    Options

Thank you - I'll work this out!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

This. From a health perspective, I'd personally keep fat higher if that's your 20%....
  • vickihuk
    Options
    Hi just thought I'd give you an update. Just coming up to 2 weeks following 50% carbs 30% protein and 20% fat (with 1 day off a week) and my body has completely changed already. I am lifting heavy too so maybe that's why but I am throughly enjoying myself