How much protein powder is too much?

Options
louiserebe
louiserebe Posts: 7 Member
edited July 2015 in Food and Nutrition
my coach has told me to have 60g protein powder a day (And a protein drink) in my fitness plan. But how much protein powder is too much? This seems like a lot to me!

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Is your coach also selling you protein powder? If so, he's probably just put you on a large amount and is going to keep selling you it.

You do not need 90g of protein powder a day, that is absurd. You can get it from food such as chicken breasts, tuna , beans or lentils. I can see a scoop or two being fine a day if you need it, but 90g? No.
  • louiserebe
    Options
    No I've got my own protein powder. I thought it sounded a lot. I'm on an 8 week programme with them to loose weight and tone up. They are an experienced weight lifter and competitor. I just added it up again and it's 60g not 90 (oops ) does that sound more realistic? Thanks for your advice I'll talk to them about it and ask if I can substitute it for some real food!
  • IsaackGMOON
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Every couple of days would be ok (that's like 3 scoops if it's a 20g scoop?). But you'll burn through your protein pretty fast if its every day.

I don't see why you can't substitute one of the protein shakes with a chicken breast or something. Remember that weight loss comes from a caloric deficit; not what certain foods you put in your mouth.
  • Irenameansbusiness
    Irenameansbusiness Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I also had this advice and lost lots of body fat..my coach is also a power lifter and at first I was on a crazy amount of protein with about 60g coming from protein impact whey powder (I had 2 shakes a day with a scoop & a half of powder = 30g) and the rest coming from things like chicken breasts, tuna etc. (Every day)
    I've honestly got great results and dropped a couple of dress sizes but if in doubt go back to your coach to set your mind at rest.
  • louiserebe
    Options
    Thanks guys, yes Isaac that is a good point about the caloric deficit and not what foods. Irene that is also what I am on about 3 scoops a day but I have the same meal plan every day very strict apparently to train the body into know what it is receiving every day. I gather this is normal in power lifting world.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    louiserebe wrote: »
    Thanks guys, yes Isaac that is a good point about the caloric deficit and not what foods. Irene that is also what I am on about 3 scoops a day but I have the same meal plan every day very strict apparently to train the body into know what it is receiving every day. I gather this is normal in power lifting world.

Don't have 3 scoops a day lol. Your stomach and intestines will thank you later, as well as your wallet.

Just get your protein from food. Have a scoop a day or so.