Performance on Fat loading and sports

Options
2»

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Hasn't this discussion now moved well away from ketone-fueled sports performance, though? I thought that was the point trying to be proven, and all I'm seeing proof of is that butter is a space-efficient source of dense calories.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    miriamtob wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I'm sure we'll be seeing more studies on athletes in ketosis in the near future.

They've already happened. For anything involving high intensity, going VLC has a disastrous impact on performance. Every example of a successful "low carb" athlete has turned out to be in reality a "lots of carbs but not quite as many as I used to eat" athlete. The infamous Lakers "low carb" diet, for example, was about 30% carbs, which on a 4000+ intake means 300g/day of carbs.

That is a loooooooooooooong way from a 30g ketosizer.

So the athletes having only 30% carbs before a big event, assuming they are "fat loading", do they fare better or worse than the athletes carb loading? I've heard of mountaineers eating entire sticks of butter on expeditions.

Not "30% carbs before a big event" - every day, otherwise they wouldn't be able to train properly.

And eating sticks of butter does not in any way imply ketosis.

Ketones are an acidic by product of fat metabolism.

Producing ketones does not mean ketosis. Eating high fat is not enough to induce ketosis.

It implies using ketones for fuel.

No, it does not.

What are you trying to say?

That it really doesn't sound like you know what ketosis is.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    The body is a great thing. It can run effectively with or without a lot of carbs.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm sure we'll be seeing more studies on athletes in ketosis in the near future.

They've already happened. For anything involving high intensity, going VLC has a disastrous impact on performance. Every example of a successful "low carb" athlete has turned out to be in reality a "lots of carbs but not quite as many as I used to eat" athlete. The infamous Lakers "low carb" diet, for example, was about 30% carbs, which on a 4000+ intake means 300g/day of carbs.

That is a loooooooooooooong way from a 30g ketosizer.

So the athletes having only 30% carbs before a big event, assuming they are "fat loading", do they fare better or worse than the athletes carb loading? I've heard of mountaineers eating entire sticks of butter on expeditions.

Not "30% carbs before a big event" - every day, otherwise they wouldn't be able to train properly.

And eating sticks of butter does not in any way imply ketosis.

Ketones are an acidic by product of fat metabolism.

Producing ketones does not mean ketosis. Eating high fat is not enough to induce ketosis.

It implies using ketones for fuel.

No, it does not.

What are you trying to say?

That it really doesn't sound like you know what ketosis is.

WTF!! I've never had anyone put words in my mouth like that!! Where did I say "all you need for ketosis is eating high fat"? You have no farking idea what I know.