cant meet macros

Options
So I'm not new here at all but ive changed my way of eating over the last few months and am now trying iifym but my target fat % is impossible to meet. Today i had raw pepper and low fat homous for lunch and dinner was oven cooked buffalo burger and veggies. No added fats cooked with and 1 small white coffee. I was over my goal of 25% fat by 20%. Even if i planned in advance i can't rat meat and hit my goal. Any tips?

Replies

• henvee
    henvee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    From the foods you are saying you ate that does not sound like 45% of your diet is from fat. I also use IIFYM. Chicken breasts are a very friendly with IIFYM.
  • Horrorfox
    Horrorfox Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    What is your height, weight, and goal? What is your training consist of?

The plan you this site is giving you might be off on what you should be consuming for fat.
  • kitkat212
    kitkat212 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    5ft 6, 200lbs, goal to drop fat. I olympic lift and strength train 4x a week and i am on my feet all day for work. My only cardio is the odd swim. I'm not a fan of cardio.
  • kitkat212
    Options
    henvee wrote: »
    From the foods you are saying you ate that does not sound like 45% of your diet is from fat. I also use IIFYM. Chicken breasts are a very friendly with IIFYM.
    I'm not a huge fan of chicken but i am getting better at eating it. How long have you used iifym?

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    OP open your diary so we can see what you are actually hitting.

Remember that you're never really going to hit your macros spot on. I'm always a little bit over with my fats or carbs usually.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's fine to be over on fat and protein.
  • kitkat212
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    If thats the case then why bother at all?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    kitkat212 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    If thats the case then why bother at all?

The missing bit was "if you're under on carbs"
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    kitkat212 wrote: »
    So I'm not new here at all but ive changed my way of eating over the last few months and am now trying iifym but my target fat % is impossible to meet. Today i had raw pepper and low fat homous for lunch and dinner was oven cooked buffalo burger and veggies. No added fats cooked with and 1 small white coffee. I was over my goal of 25% fat by 20%. Even if i planned in advance i can't rat meat and hit my goal. Any tips?

What's your calorie goal if that is putting you over fat?
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Your goal for fat is 25%? Low fat diet does not equal losing fat from your body. That's just not how it works. Your body needs healthy fats. It's a great source of energy that lasts longer and helps leave you satiated longer. Your body takes longer to digest and metabolize fats than other macros (protein is next, carbs are the quickest to be metabolized).
  • kitkat212
    Options
    Not a goal i picked through choice. I love healthy (and unhealthy )fats. I'm pro butter and full fat everything. Margarine freaks me out. The 25% came from a calculator

Cals 2042
    Carbs 43%
    Protein 32%
    Fat 25%

I'm usually spot on with carbs and a little low on protein.
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need that many carbs, especially if you're not doing cardio! If your goal is to drop body fat by strength training, you probably need mostly protein and fat. Margarine is terrible and should be off the shelves.
  • kitkat212
    Options
    I don't think you need that many carbs, especially if you're not doing cardio! If your goal is to drop body fat by strength training, you probably need mostly protein and fat. Margarine is terrible and should be off the shelves.

Agreed!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Protein and Fat are minimum macros

(there are guidelines for grammes which should also be considered minimums .. eg 0.64-0.82g Protein per lb bodyweight / 0.35g Fat per lb bodyweight)

Carbs can fall where they will (I generally eat 250-300g per day cos that's the way I like my food)

As long as you hit your calorie defecit across the week don't sweat it