Hello everyone what is the best at home DVDs to get abs

Options
I'm a mother of a 10 month old and it could be kind of difficult getting to the gym I tried Insanity in the past but I didn't like it too much

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Exercise doesn't display abs.................fat loss from calorie deficit does. Exercise is for fitness and health.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • TheLittleGingerDoesWeightLoss
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Are you only trying to get abs for aesthetics? Because as @ninerbuff stated, you can't just display abs. It combines exercise and diet.

Since you had a child are you trying to strengthen your abs? From what I understand, pregnancy weakens the abs significantly and doctors encourage ab exercise after delivery.

Just wanting to clarify so you don't get a lot of "there's no such thing as spot-training" flack.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    A low calorie diet video would be the best one for how to get abs.

How boring is that though. It isn't fair but eliminating body fat will display abs
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

The link is for visible abs.
    If you just want to train your abs there are tons of exercises, crunches, planks, etc.
  • Hipnotika
    Hipnotika Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have 3 kids all under 3, youngest one is 6 months old. After 6 weeks delivering my baby got the ok from doctor to do exercise, in order to get abs its a combination of healthy eating and cardio. I have been using momsintofitness from youtube and it has helped me tremendously. But thats just me, your welcome to check out those videos.
  • Ashmay95
    Ashmay95 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys are a lot of help :)
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit is the only way to make them show if you have a high bf%. They're quite easy to get as long as you have a good diet and nutrition
  • Ashmay95
    Options
    I forgot to mention with proper diet of course
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    As the once and future yoovie would say, if you go to the beach and ask 50 people with visible and which DVD they used to get them, you would get laughed at by 50 people.
  • Ashmay95
    Options
    @davpul what are you drunk?!
  • Ashmay95
    Options
    Clearly you didn't understand my question
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Ashmay95 wrote: »

Rude.

I'll give you advice, whether you follow it, that's completely up to you.

To be able to see your abdominal muscles, you have to have a low enough body fat percentage. To decrease your body fat, eat in a caloric deficit and lift heavy weights to preserve as much muscle as possible.

Caloric deficit = weight loss
    Exercise = health and fitness
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly certain that I understood.. More likely that you didn't understand my response.

I'm not mocking you. I don't think you've done anything wrong. It's the fitness industry that's misled everyone into believable that visible abs come from a packaged routine and can be had in 30 days or 6 weeks or whatever ridiculous time frame that the marketing department figures will sell.

You want a stronger core? I can give you a routine. You want bigger abs? Do some weighted crunches. But you want visible abs? No exercise is going going to achieve that. Like every other person here has stated, having visible abs is a product of your work outside of the gym, primarily your dedication to eating in a manner that produces fat loss. Anyone that tells you anything else is blowing smoke.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Ashmay95 wrote: »

Rude.

I'll give you advice, whether you follow it, that's completely up to you.

To be able to see your abdominal muscles, you have to have a low enough body fat percentage. To decrease your body fat, eat in a caloric deficit and lift heavy weights to preserve as much muscle as possible.

Caloric deficit = weight loss
    Exercise = health and fitness
    DavPul wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain that I understood.. More likely that you didn't understand my response.

I'm not mocking you. I don't think you've done anything wrong. It's the fitness industry that's misled everyone into believable that visible abs come from a packaged routine and can be had in 30 days or 6 weeks or whatever ridiculous time frame that the marketing department figures will sell.

You want a stronger core? I can give you a routine. You want bigger abs? Do some weighted crunches. But you want visible abs? No exercise is going going to achieve that. Like every other person here has stated, having visible abs is a product of your work outside of the gym, primarily your dedication to eating in a manner that produces fat loss. Anyone that tells you anything else is blowing smoke.

Both of these.
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    As the once and future yoovie would say, if you go to the beach and ask 50 people with visible and which DVD they used to get them, you would get laughed at by 50 people.

But what routine would you recommend for someone who wants to build stronger abs to show off once the lower their bf%? I think that is a fair question, though likely one with many answers.

• aekaya
    aekaya Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Try Pop Pilates - it's all on youtube, no gym or equipment necessary. You don't even need a yoga mat, I usually do the workouts on a thick towel.

I swear by it, and they're great if you're busy since they're usually 5-10 minutes (but you'll be uncomfortable for those 5-10 minutes, lol). This is one of my favorite ab workouts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv4sbu1nda8
  • IsaackGMOON
    edited July 2015
    Options
    aekaya wrote: »
    Try Pop Pilates - it's all on youtube, no gym or equipment necessary. You don't even need a yoga mat, I usually do the workouts on a thick towel.

I swear by it, and they're great if you're busy since they're usually 5-10 minutes (but you'll be uncomfortable for those 5-10 minutes, lol). This is one of my favorite ab workouts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv4sbu1nda8

Might be an ab exercise but it's going to do absolutely nothing for getting six pack abs. That comes from lowering your body fat.
  • demoiselle2014
    edited July 2015
    Options

Might be an ab exercise but it's going to do absolutely nothing...

How can you say that? If you do ab exercises, your abs will get stronger. I did the Blogilates Beginner Calendar last month, and my core got noticeably stronger.

• IsaackGMOON
    Options

Might be an ab exercise but it's going to do absolutely nothing...

How can you say that? If you do ab exercises, your and will get stronger. I did the Blogilates Beginner Calendar last month, and my core got noticeably stronger.

Sorry, they'll do nothing for getting those six pack abs.
  • demoiselle2014
    Options
    I said that if you do ab exercises, your abs will get stronger. You said they would do "absolutely nothing."