PLATEAU...I'm so frustrated

Chiema
Chiema Posts: 13 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been trying to lose the same half pound for two weeks now! It is very stressful to work so hard and have zero results. Anyone have suggestions on how to get over this stupid plateau!?!?

Replies

• Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    It's not really a plateau unless it sticks for months, but I get your frustration. Try not to worry too much, though, it's just a fluxuation. Make sure your food weighing is tight and your exersize numbers not inflated if you eat them back. You'll start dropping again. Good luck!
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Two weeks is not a plateau. It's called "life".

You're not going to lose weight every week. Some weeks you'll do everything right and will see a gain. Our weight fluctuates constantly due to a number of factors (hormones, water retention, etc.). Hang in there.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    It's not really a plateau unless it sticks for months, but I get your frustration. Try not to worry too much, though, it's just a fluxuation. Make sure your food weighing is tight and your exersize numbers not inflated if you eat them back. You'll start dropping again. Good luck!

This. Keep weighing and logging all of your food and drinks that you consume, make sure that if you are using MFP calorie burn estimates for exercise that you are not eating all the calories back as they tend to be grossly exaggerated (aim to eat 1/3 to 1/2 of those calories back), and stay patient even though it is hard to do and super frustrating at times!

Also, measure inches, the way your clothes fit, better fitness levels as a way to see improvements in your health and body shape when the scale doesn't seem to be cooperating. I have found that for me the non-scale victories like dropping a clothing size or finishing a 5k without walking is more motivating than what the scale says.

Good luck!
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    I found that not adding extra salt to my food gave more consistent weight loss readings. Although I like salt, so I have to deal with the scale bouncing all over the place.
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Hang in there :) The closer I got to my goal weight, I struggled to lose a half pound every two or three weeks. Incredibly frustrating for sure
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,909 Member
    Weight loss isn't linear. A plateau in weight loss is 6 weeks or more of no weight movement IF one is consistent with diet and exercise. If one doesn't stick to it even for a day, it's NOT a plateau because consistency was disrupted. This would then be a stall, but even then any type of inconsistency can lead to no loss.
    Read this for more info.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10196160/scale-stress-syndrome/p1

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Oh you're fine. If you're truly still in a deficit, you'll lose. It might come off all at once.
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 398 Member
    I'll take a plateau over a gain ANY day! Stick with it - don't get discouraged and give up!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Two weeks isn't a plateau.

Weight loss isn't linear. There will be some weeks with no loss shown even in a deficit. Somethings that can affect weight loss are meals high in sodium, your TOM, or starting new exercise. Just keep at it.

If you don't have a food scale to weigh your food, I'd suggest investing in one.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Patience and application. You are frustrated becayse you are placing the stress on yourself and have unreasonable expectations, nobody else sees whats happening to you as anything like a plateau. It may be that the weightloss insnt linear should apply to your situation, but it may also prove to be the case if your weight does not move that you have hit maintenance levels, in which case you will need to consider moving more and maybe eating less.
  • Chiema
    Chiema Posts: 13 Member
    I am DEFINITELY not at a maintenance phase. I have 100+ pounds to lose. Plus I don't think a half a pound was unreasonable in a two week period. I have small goals set to reach my long term goal. I understand that the goals are not always going to be met but my recent expectations are by no means unreasonable. I know many people would say that I was wrong but I had a fast day yesterday and dropped 2.8. I drank plenty of water to stay hydrated but it was enough to get me over the bump. With having 150 pounds to lose I think that a fast day or an all liquid day every once in a while is perfectly acceptable. Everybody is different and everybody doesn't need to be as extreme as I have been. I have not hurt myself and over the next few days I will ease my way back into eating normal. My only wish at this moment is I hope the 2.8 I lost does not creep back over then next few days. I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks! ☺️
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited July 2015
    Do you weigh ALL your solid food and dont use cups/spoons or serving sizes?

Can you open your diary
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited July 2015
    I just came off of a two week stretch like that, only I was struggling with about the same 2 pounds. Then this weekend they dropped off along with 4 of their buddies. Just be patient.

If a fast day works for you then by all means go ahead. Personally I couldn't do it. I like my food. :)
  • JudithNYC
    JudithNYC Posts: 80 Member
    What's with the "mandatory" weighing? So long as you are not fooling yourself and saying that a cup of ice cream or whatever includes an inch high mound I think it's fine to use cups and spoons. I also go by serving size as posted in food packages. In fact, I never measure anything, I just eyeball it. But then I have been cooking for 50 plus years and am very good at it, not recommended for everyone.

From the comments all over MFP I know that I am in a minority on this weighing/measuring cup issue but I think the only benefit of weighing vs cups is that weighing has a smaller margin of error. But who knows. I dont think most of us are using highly calibrated scientific scales. Who's to say that the scale is telling me 30 grams when it's really 33?

PS I am 65, losing an average of 1-2 lbs a week, no exercise except daily activities of living. 1200 to 1400 cal a day.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,138 Member
    Yikes.

Believe it, or not, a two week "plateau" gaining or losing the same 2lbs isn't, even with guys who do not have to deal with TOM issues.

This is going to happen again if you continue with your weight loss.

And you did NOT deal with the issue particularly well, at least in my random internet opinion.

So, do yourself a favour before embarking on fast days as a solution to every two or three week "plateau".

Sign up for www.weightgrapher.com, or another weight trend line generating application.

When these applications tell you that you are no longer in a deficit (not when they say you're not achieving your planned deficit, but when they say you are no longer losing, at all) THAT's when you're in a plateau!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    JudithNYC wrote: »
    From the comments all over MFP I know that I am in a minority on this weighing/measuring cup issue but I think the only benefit of weighing vs cups is that weighing has a smaller margin of error. But who knows. I dont think most of us are using highly calibrated scientific scales. Who's to say that the scale is telling me 30 grams when it's really 33?
    Yes, it's more accurate.

Also, it doesn't really matter if the scale tells you 30 grams when it's really 33. As long as you are consistent, you'll be able to adjust intake based on your results. If you're guessing about what you've got in a cup or a tablespoon, you're not going to have the same consistency.

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    What's with the "mandatory" weighing? So long as you are not fooling yourself and saying that a cup of ice cream or whatever includes an inch high mound I think it's fine to use cups and spoons. I also go by serving size as posted in food packages. In fact, I never measure anything, I just eyeball it. But then I have been cooking for 50 plus years and am very good at it, not recommended for everyone.

PS I am 65, losing an average of 1-2 lbs a week, no exercise except daily activities of living. 1200 to 1400 cal a day.

Well... because MOST people have no idea exactly what 1 ounce or 28 grams feels like in the hand. As it happens I do. Most people who have cooked extensively are very good at estimating measurements by eye and feel. However in today's' world people like us are the minority. These days people really are out of touch with basic cooking skills, nevermind dealing with lots of measurements. People don't learn to cook from their family so much anymore and most people live mainly on carry out, dining out and prepackaged meals.

Having spent about 20 years in the food industry. I also thought I had a good handle on estimating portions. I also recall that as a professional cook I did weigh out every single portion of everything. It was just something you did as a part of the job. Food cost is serious business. Even when I knew that I was accurate by feel 99% of the time. It only makes sense. It's not hard to do. It does not take much time to do it. And it saves money and calories. A few here or there can add p to a lot over time. And when I stopped and thought about those things and started doing it at home I realised that there are a lot of things I was way off on. Treating my personal meals with the care I had treated my professional cooking has paid off.

I am glad it works for you to just eyeball it but it really is not good to criticize people who do need to use a scale. A lot of these people already have low self esteem along with their weight issues and your comments could hold someone back from doing a simple thing that might just really mean the difference between their success or failure.

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    What's with the "mandatory" weighing? So long as you are not fooling yourself and saying that a cup of ice cream or whatever includes an inch high mound I think it's fine to use cups and spoons.

Ice cream, other pastes, liquids and free flowing powders are probably fine measured by volume providing you have reliable data on cals per volume or density.

Other things like broccoli or fruit are probably hopeless for volume measurement.

I am somewhat in agreement, we don't know our calorie expenditure to 10% accuracy so the need to weigh inputs to 0.1% is debatable.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Chiema wrote: »
    I have been trying to lose the same half pound for two weeks now! It is very stressful to work so hard and have zero results. Anyone have suggestions on how to get over this stupid plateau!?!?

This is me! I was bouncing around gaining and losing the same three pounds for two weeks and starting to get frustrated even though it was obviously water weight fluctuations. I only have 10 pounds to lose, so every tiny bit of loss is important to me. I just kept weighing, logging, exercising and staying within my calories. Two days ago I woke up and the scale was down 1.5 pounds. Today it's up .5 again, but that still means I've lost a pound. So hang in there, the scale WILL eventually start moving down again if you keep eating less than you burn.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Is this serious?