20 pounds Lost w/ Vision Board

VisionBoardCoach
VisionBoardCoach Posts: 43 Member
edited July 2015 in Success Stories
I'm currently in the process of losing weight, and as an Empowerment & Prosperity Vision Board Coach, I decided to use myself as a guinea pig, and created a vision board to use along with the Vitality for Life program and Jenny Craig. I'm proud to say that I've lost a total of 20 pounds in 3 months... I knew Vision Boards worked, I've used them for other things.. but Vision Boards for weight loss is something I've now added to my arsenal of tricks. :)

Replies

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Restricting calories works. No fancy products are required, no commercial weight loss concerns are needed. Ultimately all any of us needs to do is take fewer calories in than our daily expenditure out. Some exercise will help most everyone with health benefits and may make creating a calorie deficit easier to achieve on a reliable basis - bonus.

But I'll bite, what is a vision board?
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    I agree, what in the heck is a 'vision board'?
  • VisionBoardCoach
    edited July 2015
    mwyvr wrote: »
    Restricting calories works. No fancy products are required, no commercial weight loss concerns are needed. Ultimately all any of us needs to do is take fewer calories in than our daily expenditure out. Some exercise will help most everyone with health benefits and may make creating a calorie deficit easier to achieve on a reliable basis - bonus.

But I'll bite, what is a vision board?

I agree with you! No fancy products or commercial weight loss concerns are needed. A Vision Board isn't fancy at all. It's a poster board/piece of paper/cork board/old photo of yourself ...anything that you create or use as a tool to keep you focused. Everything you speak of it TRUE! The advantage a vision board gives you is psychological..it helps you stay positive and clear about what you want to accomplish. It's cheap, simple and inexpensive, and can be that "Little something extra" that can push someone through to success ... while doing all the other important/necessary things that it takes. Some folks have problems with motivation..losing weight can be very discouraging. A vision board helps keep that person on track... it's sure helped me! In fact, I just created a group....for anyone interested in working with vision boards... come check it out!
  • KristenMarie1181
    KristenMarie1181 Posts: 216 Member
    seriously only in 3 months! I have lost 21 pounds in a month! I seriously don't like the whole aspect of my fitness pal and there things that they say! You can't lose weight if you eat junk food! That isn't right at all! Seriously I have cut back candy, eating poorly and lost 9 pounds in 7 days! Can you do that?

Why not everyone stop eating junk and see how you feel!
  • VisionBoardCoach
    I agree, what in the heck is a 'vision board'?

4q67i749gjbm.jpg

Here's an example... but each one is different.. and can be anything. It's really there to help motivate... keep you on track and remind you of what you're trying to accomplish. You can actually use it to achieve any goal.. I just decided to try it for weight loss.. and it's helping me, so I'm sharing with others.
  • VisionBoardCoach
    edited July 2015
    seriously only in 3 months! I have lost 21 pounds in a month! I seriously don't like the whole aspect of my fitness pal and there things that they say! You can't lose weight if you eat junk food! That isn't right at all! Seriously I have cut back candy, eating poorly and lost 9 pounds in 7 days! Can you do that?

Sure I agree with that ...and you're fortunate. I had a difficult time getting started with my weight loss.. I'm 47 years old, have a health condition that prevents me from losing weight and it was difficult for me to get started. My vision board simply helped me focus. If it's not something you're interested in, then discard the idea. I don't criticize anyone's decision.. I think any healthy way you chose to find motivation to lose weight is fantastic. Personally I've never eaten junk food. ... and I had always been thin before my recent weight gain. I needed the extra motivation, and am grateful for it! Congratulations on your weight loss!
  • saracith
    saracith Posts: 4 Member
    I'm interested in how you update your vision on your journey. The creating of the board is pretty calming and inspiring...like meditating. I've done these for business before but not health or anything really personal. I guess I have a fear of not getting to my goal and feeling defeated with the process. Have you ever made am evolving board....so your vision could come about in bite sized chunks? What do you ask yourself to create one and how often would you change it?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member

But seriously you can. Ask me how I know. Ask lots of people on here how they know.

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited July 2015
    Guys, I think it's just like a collage thing, I don't think she's selling anything. Calm down. *

It actually kinda seems like a neat idea, like some kind of visualization exercise.

*Unless you are selling something, OP. We don't like that much 'round here. But it doesn't seem like you are.
  • VisionBoardCoach
    edited July 2015
    saracith wrote: »
    I'm interested in how you update your vision on your journey. The creating of the board is pretty calming and inspiring...like meditating. I've done these for business before but not health or anything really personal. I guess I have a fear of not getting to my goal and feeling defeated with the process. Have you ever made am evolving board....so your vision could come about in bite sized chunks? What do you ask yourself to create one and how often would you change it?

All of these are great questions! Our "fears" are our obstacles, False Evidence Appearing Real. In my opinion...ALL vision boards are evolving, the key is finding a technique that allows you to make changes easily. I recommend a cork board for consistently revolving boards. But you can also use poster board too, you just need a bit of tack putty or something that allows you to easily remove and replace photos... I've even seen people use chalk boards and colored chalk, and then they tape other photos around the edge. Vision Boards help you maintain focus and yes, you're correct, they're very calming and inspiring. :-) I think the reason for that is that they help you remain aligned with your goals and intent on your positive outcome. When you're giving your board focus, you're giving your dreams focus, and focus goes where energy flows! As far as the board coming in chunks... I have several boards that are works in progress... and they work just fine. If you wish to begin small... see yourself 10 pounds lighter, and allow your board to reflect that. As you achieve that goal or become more confident in your weight loss, then see yourself 15 pounds lighter and update your board. You never want to add something to your board unless it 100% resonates with what you want and of course, what a person wants can change too!

Questions to ask yourself depend on what you want to achieve. Begin with meditating on what you want. There is one question I always do begin with however. Once you decide for example, that you want to lose weight... begin by asking yourself,....I want to lose weight, when I accomplish this goal, what will this look like? Then once you have clarity of vision, begin the board. Change it whenever your vision changes.

Hope that helps! Be sure to check out the Vision Board group! :-)
  • VisionBoardCoach
    Guys, I think it's just like a collage thing, I don't think she's selling anything. Calm down. *

It actually kinda seems like a neat idea, like some kind of visualization exercise.

*Unless you are selling something, OP. We don't like that much 'round here. But it doesn't seem like you are.

You're correct, and thank you for stating that for me. I guess I should have been more clear. I do coaching for a living yes. But I'm not selling anything here. This is actually the first time I've used on of my vision boards for weight loss as well. So I'm actually just offering to share what I know about the boards with everyone else. I'm also looking for others to encourage me and support me on my path to weight loss. Coaching and sharing are two very different things. It's something I know... so I'm sharing... and offering encouragement and support in the way I know how. Basically I want to see everyone succeed and I know weight loss is hard, and so I'm offering a service that I would normally charge for...but it's complimentary. Not to advertise or market.. I'm here losing weight to.. I'm sharing to help.

Thank you for clearing that up for me.. you are very kind. :)
  • VisionBoardCoach
    Caitwn wrote: »
    You might want to edit your first post a bit to make it clear you aren't selling anything - it did kinda sound like you were until you explained yourself.

To anyone interested: vision boards are simply a motivational tool that anyone can make. You can make a physical version or an electronic version to keep on your phone, for example. There is no reason, ever, to pay someone to learn how to make one: there are instructions and examples everywhere (try pinterest).

Here's a link with basic instructions for creating one: wikihow.com/Make-a-Vision-Board

OP, congratulations on your success, and I wish you continuing great results!

You're correct. There is never a reason to pay anyone to create a board for yourself. A vision board isn't something that anyone else can create for you. It's personal and unique to you. People go to life coaches to overcome obstacles and fears, and understand the process of goal achievement moving forward. They pay for the extensive knowledge and experience of the coach. A life coach assist their clients in learning new skills and tools to build a more satisfying and successful future. It looks forward and focuses on goals, dreams, passions, issues, giving informed encouragement and support to people as they walk through life's challenges. They can be a valuable tool for folks to use, and a vast number of people see great value in this.

That being said, I'm here to lose weight myself, I'm not selling anything and I'm a bit surprised by the need to defend myself. My initial post is accurate,. I looked and I'm not able to amend it. But please be assured that I'm not selling my business to anyone. I simply have knowledge to share and I'm genuine in sharing it.

Blessings to you and good luck to you on your weight loss! :-)
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    I LOVE this! I used to have a vision board when I was in school and then again when I went back to school and then again for a career goal. It never occurred to me to do a weight loss vision board. Something tangible I can look at every day and remind myself of why and where I want to go. GREAT IDEA and thanks for sharing!

And congrats on your success so far! I love hearing and seeing what works for others and what a great community MFP is to allow us to share our successes and tools that have helped us :)
  • VisionBoardCoach
    I LOVE this! I used to have a vision board when I was in school and then again when I went back to school and then again for a career goal. It never occurred to me to do a weight loss vision board. Something tangible I can look at every day and remind myself of why and where I want to go. GREAT IDEA and thanks for sharing!

And congrats on your success so far! I love hearing and seeing what works for others and what a great community MFP is to allow us to share our successes and tools that have helped us :)

THANK YOU SO MUCH! PLEASE WON'T YOU JOIN US IN OUR VISION BOARD FOR WEIGHT LOSS GROUP? Our group needs your positive attitude and energy! :-)
  • southcitystudio
    southcitystudio Posts: 627 Member
    As a visual person I can certainly see how this could be helpful. Congrats on your loss!
  • VisionBoardCoach
    As a visual person I can certainly see how this could be helpful. Congrats on your loss!

Thank you~ and it's lots of fun too... especially for us creative folks! :-) Feel free to join us.
  • clhobbs09
    clhobbs09 Posts: 24 Member
    I love the idea and may actually try it. I have some pictures of myself from almost 10 years ago And my goal is to get there on my 40th birthday.
    I've said this so many times on other forums that I find it a bit disturbing that people are so negative here when we are supposed to be encouraging one another. If you don't know what a vision board is Google it. Don't assume someone is trying to "sell" something when it is so far from the truth.
    OP thanks for sharing. Some of us need more than just calorie counting to give us some type of motivation. Those that don't need it, move around and allow us with open minds to enjoy the success of others!!!
  • VisionBoardCoach
    clhobbs09 wrote: »
    I love the idea and may actually try it. I have some pictures of myself from almost 10 years ago And my goal is to get there on my 40th birthday.
    I've said this so many times on other forums that I find it a bit disturbing that people are so negative here when we are supposed to be encouraging one another. If you don't know what a vision board is Google it. Don't assume someone is trying to "sell" something when it is so far from the truth.
    OP thanks for sharing. Some of us need more than just calorie counting to give us some type of motivation. Those that don't need it, move around and allow us with open minds to enjoy the success of others!!!

Thank you so much for posting your encouraging comments. I appreciate you. A little positivity goes a long way.... feel free to join the group I've created.. it's all about positivity and losing... vision boards, overcoming obstacles to success.. replacing negative beliefs for positive ones.. we'd love to have you as a part of our group! And thanks again, your comments are really awesome. :-)
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,404 Member
    lol wow. A vision board is basically like "fitspo on a wall". You create your own collage full of pictures or quotes that you find inspiring. Basically, the theory is if you can envision yourself accomplishing those goals - you will.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!