Strength Training - Gain Weight?

Options
I have been on MFP for a few months now, tracking my calories and losing weight. I started at a gym last Saturday to get in a bit of cardio and to do some strength training. I've got wonky knees and the gym is on doctor's orders to strengthen the muscles around my knees in an effort to see if that helps. I went Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, yesterday and this morning and according to my scales, I am up 1.4lbs since Wednesday! Could this be down to building muscle? I'm not too phased by it as I know I am still eating well and logging my food. I mean, it could possibly even be water retention as TOTM is fast approaching. But all that aside, is it possible to have gained that amount of weight with strength training?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    No. You're not building muscle, and not that much in such a small time frame.

Your muscles are probably retaining more water for repair.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Agrees with @IsaackGMOON
  • wannaloseit77
    wannaloseit77 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I am very new to all this so that is good to know!
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    1.4 pounds is nothing. It's not worth worrying about or getting happy about.

It could be from the strength training though, not in additional muscle mass, but in extra water retention from muscle repair, as Isaack said. The weight gain, if it is from strength training, should quickly stabilize. The good news is that while it may not be actual muscle weight, it is lean body mass (it's not fat).
  • wannaloseit77
    wannaloseit77 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Again, I'm pretty clueless about all this stuff but I'd love to learn! Can anyone point me in the direction of where I can read up on all this? I've just downloaded a nutrition course through iTunes U but would also love to learn more about fitness. Any tips?
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Again, I'm pretty clueless about all this stuff but I'd love to learn! Can anyone point me in the direction of where I can read up on all this? I've just downloaded a nutrition course through iTunes U but would also love to learn more about fitness. Any tips?

Not sure on where to read. A quick google will find you some sources of information, but I've mainly used MFP to develop my knowledge.