ideal eating times etc

Options
I'm currently eating to maintenance and due to having a busy day had not eaten almost enough to sustain myself before running this afternoon. So I had skittles as I thought I needed a fast burst of energy. However, I then felt extremely nauseated while exercising, so much so that I had to stop and sit down for twenty minutes. What are the ideal times and foods to eat before exercise? Id like to avoid this issue again..

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Depends on the exercise and it depends how much you eat.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    It's also pretty personal, what one person can do is different to another. Even age. When I was 20 I could eat a substantial lunch and go straight into dance class, now I'd likely throw up.

You now know eating what is basically a load of sugar before exercising doesn't work for you, so don't do it again! Simples.
  • lucyholdcroft363
    lucyholdcroft363 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    BILLBRYTAN wrote: »
    There is no ideal time for Skittles; they are not food. Nutrient dense whole foods can be eaten at any time , just don't eat heavily right before exercise.

Skittles are food, that is a ridiculous statement. Clearly not running fuel providing food, but food nonetheless.
  • lucyholdcroft363
    Options
    It's also pretty personal, what one person can do is different to another. Even age. When I was 20 I could eat a substantial lunch and go straight into dance class, now I'd likely throw up.

You now know eating what is basically a load of sugar before exercising doesn't work for you, so don't do it again! Simples.

So practice makes perfect, right? Great! I'll try out different things until I find what works for me.
  • IsaackGMOON
    edited July 2015
    Options
    There is no ideal time for Skittles; they are not food. Nutrient dense whole foods can be eaten at any time , just don't eat heavily right before exercise.

Lol do u even logic

Skittles are food
    LOL No wonder you are nauseous.

That's pretty moronic... just gonna go deactivate my broadband brb
  • IsaackGMOON
    edited July 2015
    Options

Lol do u even logic

Skittles are food

This is what I love most about MFP, the entertainment. I am actually being called moronic because I say Skittles are not a pre-workout food. LOL

So, moronic, eh? 'LOL'.
  • lucyholdcroft363
    Options

Lol do u even logic

Skittles are food

This is what I love most about MFP, the entertainment. I am actually being called moronic because I say Skittles are not a pre-workout food. LOL

Though actually, you stated that they are not food. Which is pretty moronic to be honest. No, they aren't pre workout food. But they are food.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I usually have something like a slice of toast, a banana, or a small ham roll etc roughly 30-45 mins before working out.

Basically some carbs.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I think you have to work these things out through trial and error. I'm similar to you, unless I'm running first thing in the morning after being well fed the day before, I will struggle running on a dwindling tank, and scoffing something sugary would make me feel a bit funny after too. My favourite pre-run food is peanut butter on toast with a banana, at least 90 minutes before. I think it's the balance of carbs and fat. Save your Skittles for after your run.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options

Lol do u even logic

Skittles are food

Though actually, you stated that they are not food. Which is pretty moronic to be honest. No, they aren't pre workout food. But they are food.

Corn Syrup, Hydrogenated Palm Kernel Oil, Less than 2% Citric Acid, Dextrin, Modified Corn Starch, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Coloring (Includes Yellow 6 Lake, Red 40 Lake, Yellow 5 Lake, Blue 2 Lake, Yellow 5, Red 40, Yellow 6, Blue 1 Lake, Blue 1) YEP, SURE SOUNDS LIKE FOOD TO ME!!

You put yourself in a corner lol.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Eating 1.5-2 hours before working out works best for me.

And I'm glad to see that the OP and a few other realize that Skittles are food. Everything in moderation! :)